Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing Deer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    The streets were laden with busy bees and waves flooded my drums as the dealers tried to convince me!

Kids had a ball and the missus was well happy so mission success!

Sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

What you all think of this never seen a 5k measure this long? And with no turns you think it would be well on. Pacing was on for a small PB. Aim was to get the 5:40 avg to bag around 17:40ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What you all think of this never seen a 5k measure this long? And with no turns you think it would be well on. Pacing was on for a small PB. Aim was to get the 5:40 avg to bag around 17:40ish.
    Did you capture it on a Garmin as well? Though I always have my doubts about Garmin distances, mobile phones are notoriously bad in terms of accuracy. Doesn't mean that it wasn't long, I just wouldn't have a huge amount of trust. By the way, the difference would be around 70m, so probably around 10 seconds at full flight. A solid run regardless.

Did you capture it on a Garmin as well? Though I always have my doubts about Garmin distances, mobile phones are notoriously bad in terms of accuracy. Doesn't mean that it wasn't long, I just wouldn't have a huge amount of trust. By the way, the difference would be around 70m, so probably around 10 seconds at full flight. A solid run regardless.

It was captured on the Gamin just viewed on the phone. I checked the computer looks like I ran through a field! Dam

Will write full report this is one of my better races! Pacing was much better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Looks ok to me Wolfie tbh I never really trust GPS and that Maynooth 5k has been around a while so reckon it's measured ok - 3.15 tho is w/in margin of error for sure- still pretty decent running from u. Getting much more consistent !

• Advertisement

dukeraoul wrote: »
    Looks ok to me Wolfie tbh I never really trust GPS and that Maynooth 5k has been around a while so reckon it's measured ok - 3.15 tho is w/in margin of error for sure- still pretty decent running from u. Getting much more consistent !

Yes I accept that now but the official time is 17:56 which is 2 seconds off my watch... Ha ha my watch is normal bang on. On the plus I had a lot of other things under control today which I will include in the race report tomorrow. Off for a taco fries I need fat to be able to run slow.

I hope you are ok after the other day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Yes I accept that now but the official time is 17:56... Ha ha

I hope you are ok after the other day!

Yeah yeah all good man just had a tough day ...

dukeraoul wrote: »
    Yeah yeah all good man just had a tough day ...

Good stuff glad to hear you good!

Sun 14/09/14

5.5 miles including Maynooth 5k (6th place 17:54 unofficial time) + 5.5 miles (7:00 pace)

I woke feeling crap but not as bad as during the week. I decided to get up at 6am to give my body enough time to wake for the 10am start. My 11 year old son had agreed to come as I knew that would relax me, he is such a cool dude!

It was dull and foggy to start off our journey. We got there with plenty time to spare and spent a good bit of time taking about his football and discussing switching to a running club. He is a good footballer but I think could have serious running talent that needs to be gently and slowly grown over the next 10 years. Plus I'm not likely the shouting they do at football games at that age it should but just fun.

I bumped into John Travers again so winning was not on the cards. Our warmup seemed to be synced and hope he doesn't think I was following him. 2 miles on the grass, stretch strides and race! I felt tired and sicky but no going back now.

Ok so the plan today was to go out with the following in mind;

Don't go out fast
    Run your own race and stay with it
    Try run 5:40 pace all the time.
    Keep the hurt alive
    Keep focused on breathing

Mile 1 5:36

About 170 started and I slotted a few back from the leaders. They had no start mat which was my first complaint so a bit of a dodgy start so lost few seconds here. I started my watch when I crossed the start line as if it was chip timing only copped this after the race. I let the leaders burst off because if I went I'd suffer badly later on. The good thing about starting back is that I do the over taking early on and then settle into a spot which I maintained for most of the race. Me and the leading lady a Clonliffe girl ran together the entire race.

Mile 2 - 5:46

Fecking turn arounds I fecking hate turn arounds. The Clonliffe girl made some ground on me at this point. What I'm trying to do is work more on my breathing which is making it easy to maintain the effort. When I was freaking out last time my breathing would go to **** causing the pace to fall apart. This is a major break through if I can keep this going I'm sorted.

Mile 3 - 5:47

I had the usual thoughts telling me to stop as I watched the Clonliffe girl open up a big gap on me. I just shifting my concentration back to my full and deep breathing. Relax the stride but don't slow down. I entered a state I don't think I had been before where the horrible pain was just accepted which made me speed up. Oh look here comes the Clonliffe girl, oh there is the finishing area. Hang on I'm not letting hear beat me.

.15 (46 seconds.

Looking back over the garmin and the video my son took I came home at some pace. I flew past the Clonliffe girl who tried to respond but I just sailed on by looking rather good I must say. If I can switch that on a bit earlier next time it will make a big different. I think it race I get more brave I think this is where I'm weak.

I done everything coach has been drilling into me and am now ready to make my eyes bleed in Rathfarnham. My PB was already 17:54 which my watch recorded but the official time said 17:56 which I don't mind. Very very pleased with this race.

Sat 13/09/14

4 miles (7:30 pace)

I agreed with Tommy that I would try an easy run and break tradition of no running the day before the race. I even paced it very well, this steady pacing is getting easy now! Resting heart rate up a little again but I'm going to go ahead and race. I ran this at 8:30am as to give a full 24 hours recovery before race.

Fri 12/09/14

6 miles (7:28 pace) + 5 miles (7 min pace)

Felt much better today which is great. I did the second run on my own which turned into a progression run. Tommy has been trying to get more of my runs/races to be evenly paced. Can't always do it. Heart rate was not far off for the different pace. I was clocking 6:18 pace with same heart rate as 7:30 pace from Monday. Resting heart rate going back down but 2 clicks still off the normal 34.

Thurs 11/09/14

10 miles (7:25 pace)

This was basically my long run felt ok up to half way then couldn't wait for it to be over. Was saying to the boss man that my planned 5k for Sunday will be off if I don't start feeling better.

Wed 10/09/14

6 mile (7:42 pace) + 3 miles (7:24 pace)

Went up to Russbrough which is a great XC simulation. I'm still trying to shake this bug and the run felt a tad tough. It was the grass that also that made it less easy. I cut the second run a little short as Tommy was giving out for running sick. I'll be fine tomorrow.

Tues 09/09/14

10 miles (6 miles (7 min pace) + 4 miles (7:27 pace) back to back)

Could only run once today because I had important business to take care of in Dublin. So had to run 6 before joining Tommy for 4 miles. The heart rates was 148 for 7 min pace and 141 for 7:27. Looking back over the data on garmin the strap is going haywire the odd time giving high readings. My heart rate cannot reach 222 while jogging.

Mon 08/09/14

4 miles (7:32 pace) + 6 miles (7:27 pace) + one hour core work

Bit of a stomach problem since Saturday quiet a nasty thing. I never get anything like this so will watch it. Wore the heart rate monitor as resting heart rate is up. Kept the effort easy around 141 bpm. Out with Tommy all this week as I'm off work.

Sun 21/09/14

15 miles (8:08 pace)

Jumped in with a mate who was 5 miles into 20. I find this pace harder on my body than 7-7:30 pace. 70 mile week which might be the last time this year I get that high. Been hitting 65 miles most weeks for monthly with some ease back weeks. Body in the best shape of my life.

Sat 20/09/14

6 miles including park run

I decided to run the parkrun with my son rather than race it. He completed it in 25:30 which is great off no running training. He has been football training but is leaving to start running. I want him running easy a couple of times and allow the hunger grow naturally.

Fri 19/09/14

4 miles (6:55 pace)

Just wanted to change up the pace a bit. My 11 year old son is doing his first Park Run tomorrow. It is just to keep me sharp as I have not been doing sessions. Something is telling me to save the effort until Rathfarnham.

Thurs 18/09/14

7 miles (7:20 pace) + 4 miles (7:11 pace)

Both handy runs. As you might have noticed no speed or tempo session as my season is coming to an end. Heart rate was around 70-74% of max. Park run planned for Saturday to keep me sharp for Rathfarnham next week. Sleep much better last night.

Wed 17/09/14

4.5 miles (7:36 pace) + 5.5 miles (7:15)

Both resting heart rate after waking (36 bpm) and running heart rate (138) were down today. I think the 5:30am runs and the tough hills bring the heart rate down. Body sore from gym and not recovering as quickly because sleep is poor due to stress.

Tues 16/09/14

4 miles recovery run on grass at 5:50am. (8 min pace) + 6 miles (7:03 pace)

Mon 15/09/14

14 miles (7:13 pace 676 elevation gain 696 loss 155 HR AVG) + 1 hour core class

Went out with coach Tommy for what was a short run which turn into a long hilly aerobic workout. I was only thinking I needed this he must have read my mind. Was well within the effort zone to give my aerobic capacity a good seeing too! Tommy had great entertainment while I was having a baby on a 3 mile climb that had most of the elevation gain. We must have ran into every hill on Sally's gap!

Went to the core class for runners that my coach runs for the Club. Went a bit harder than last week.

• Advertisement

Sun 28/09/14

6.5 miles including Rathfarnham 5k (new PB 17:40 unofficial) :)

Better to succeed taking small steps rather than fail trying to jump big ones. That is the main thing I learned this year and my coach has me being more patient and consistent.

I went to this alone as I know the area very very well and have ran close by with other races and training etc. Parked at Terrenure college and walked over to Tescos to meet a club mate. I couldn't find him so jogged back to the college and got changed into my racing gear. I hid my car key before jogging back over to see if I could find him again. We met up and done some strides before hitting the start line. Really strong field out as expected so let about 100 or so runners ahead of me. Plan was to try be in a position where I was over taking and not the other way around.

1 mile - 5:41

Bingo. Tempted to get carried away on the down hill but I held back as I wanted to try hit the first two miles in 5:40s. Felt like an accident was possible so tried to keep beside some more experienced runners. You know a few runners that should not be up the front. First mile felt really comfortable and I was holding back.

2 mile - 5:50

A drag here and then up past Bushy which I think was the cause of the loss of 10 seconds. I was starting to work at this point and breathing started to get heavy. But I felt great and was very relaxed. From the start I had seen the same Pearse Brothers runner
    that I'm other races seems to distract my attention from other things that could lead to wasting energy. I might start paying him to pace me.

3 mile - 5:30

Christ on a bike. Some guy nearly took me off my feet, I was blessed. I didn't even waste my energy complaining to much. I picked it up to get away from glumsey. At this stage all engines roared, I had promised myself I would push hard for my cousin who died a few days earlier. I wore the yellow ribbon that was giving to me at his funeral. All the thoughts said no it was impossible to push on but my heart lifted me. The slight down hill here give me a bit back. I came to the 800 meter sign and my mind said no but my heart was to strong as I pushed and pushed like I hadn't before. Looking at the garmin data I hammered the last k and left it crying by the wayside!

.13 - 36 seconds

Looks like I hit 4:42 pace for the last bit. I couldn't talk I thought I was going to fall over. I really gave it everything in the last bit. Really happy that I did it justice and got another PB. I think my pacing was a result of sticking with what my coach was teaching me. That is not to go out fast and to running evenly and do the damage in the last mile! I thank the Pearse Brother runner and told him about how he has been a help with focus etc. The Gap is closing so I hope he gets faster or a need to find a new target!

What will I do for a week without running. I'm allowed do some core work and cross training but we'll see when I meet with coach! Delighted now with that year! Any other PB's will be off easy training. Back to 30 miles after the week off then a slow build up over winter! I was up to 70 recently with a base of 65 for the last few months. See you in the future.

Sat 27/09/14

Off

Was to zapped after the funeral. Watson the heart of my birth place for the first time in 10 years so was a draining day. Place hasn't changed but I have by a long mile.

Fri 26/09/14

5 miles easy - feel good after the run yesterday. Knee still a tad iffy so have already started preparing for an alternative race. Plan is hold 5:40 pace.

Thurs 25/09/14

5 miles - belted this out few 6 min miles to get the speed up for race Sunday.

Wed 24/09/14

5 miles felt heavy and tired. Had a tragic death of a young family member 20 years old. Gutted I am.

Tues 23/09/14

3 miles

Stopped as do not want a tightness turning into an injury. Quads sore from gym. Plan was to run 5 miles everyday as want to wind it down before taking a week off running.

Mon 22/09/14

No running + 1 hour circuit core session

Got a bit of knee pain after doing a lunge during the session. I think it is due to tight Vastus medialis.

Sun 05/10/14

10 miles (6:30 pace)

Needed this on a hilly course.

Sat 04/10/14

7 miles including 5k park run (17:47 1st place)

6 seconds away from last weeks PB. I was hoping to PB but it was a solo run so was good to get this close. I had a 2 minutes lead on the person behind me. I thought I got 10 seconds off on the second mile but the pacing was identical to last week just 6 seconds slower. Coach thinks it was a better run because course was tougher and weather was poor. I was also 1kg heavier as I have been eating loads of chocolate! Going to have another crack next week and looking for someone to come to Naas to run sub 17:40. Any takers?

Fri 03/10/14

Off

Thurs 2/10/14

7 miles (7:30 pace) + 4 miles (6:45 pace) with 2 surges

Did the 7 with Tommy on grass at the lovely Russbrough track. It's 1.5 mile so few loops.

Did the 4 mile at the Lakes also with Tommy and got him to do a few 5 min pace surges each last about half a mile.

Wed 1/10/14

5 mile progression (7:10, 6:45, 6:48, 6:29, 6:19)

Wore my new Kinvara 5 London edition felt really nice. Going wait to get the Kona edition to introduce both into my shoe rotation system.

Tues 30/09/14

5 miles progression (7:06, 6:43, 6:35, 6:15, 8:32)

Love these runs. Decided to use last mile as cool down.

Mon 29/09/14

Off-Decided with coach to have another crack at a 5k next week. Season extended until further notice. Low Milage and race!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

What's the story Wolfie?

Edit: ah sugar, just saw your goodbye post on the other thread. Damn shame.

I was running that fast through the town that the Garda pulled me over with the sirens and all :) True story.

Update:

Very hard for me to run slower than 7:30 MPM at the moment. I had a full week off shortly after my last post here. On around 43 mile weeks now. Last week did a 3 x 1 mile session off 2 min each mile around 5:38. And session this week was 6 x 800 off 90 seconds each around 2:38. I remember this session near killed me 8 months ago whereas this time not so much. I still do my couple of progression runs sometimes I get down to 5k pace for last mile depending. I'm doing core work weekly and some balance work. Main target is 2015 track season, 4:15 and 16:40 are in mind!

Week Summary

60 miles

Highlights

12 x 400 mostly 5:20 pace with the last 2 at 4:27 pace. Easy session with 90 sec recoveries.
    7 mile hilly run (6:50 pace)
    7 mile XC type run (6:50)
    14 mile hilly (7:21 pace)

Both 7 milers are progressive runs that are tough. I'm looking for strength for some fast running. The long run was very hilly with a monster at mile 8.

Just finished couple of months of strength and am trying to improve flexibility right now.

Short term

Trying to get down to AIT Baseline meet for the 3000. Aware 5k as part of club Xmas get together. Will try to resist racing it.

62 miles this week

Running plenty on farm lands and fields recently. Had a good run on the horse track recently. Me and Tommy ran a 14 miler on lands horses would have struggled. It was the most fun I've at outside family life in a while. Been on the road abit too which allows the ankles recover. I hit the hills in the Phoenix park recently which come at the end of the Dublin half and they seemed like a bit of drag after running on my home routes. Even at 6:40 pace after 6 miles didn't I don't feel it that much.

One of the best things I've changed recently is just getting out and running. Just enjoying running not committing to anything other than running everyday. If I go out for 5 easy and feel good I'll run hard till I feel like stopping. It's mad how if you run by feel the difference it makes. Went to the Ger Hartmann workshop and found out I had serious flexibility issues which is now improving. Will update soon.

57 miles for the week (Milage step back not intended ;) )

Highlights

No 14 mile long run this week, replaced with a couple of 8+5 days (made up as the days progressed, I plan by the hour)

Goal mile (6 mile warmup 5:10 mile followed by 6:20 c/d)

I sat on the shoulder of the leader for 2 3/4 laps and just went off then opening a a good gap. Would expect a 4:40-4:30 under the right conditions in my current shape. I like the track because you just get in excute and go home to the family. No fuss, bit of banter with club mates and get out of there.

Follow day in Tullow 8 mile (6:44 avg 7:02, 6:52, 6:41, 6:37, 6:44, 6:36, 6:42, 6:32)

Conditions were high winds, heavy rain, a few hills and one tough drag for last mile. I like charging this one.

64 miles this week

Highlights

8 mile progressive tempo down to below mile pace for the last 400 meters (6:50, 6:43,6:23,6,20,6:19,6:11,6:00,5:57)

8 mile with 1 mile hard up steep hill

15 mile @ 7:18 (last 400 on track in 60 seconds)

Now that the mileage is up this high for a month or so my body has allowed in some quality. I've been working on developing some power to bring on my kick. I want to be able to go sub 55 when tired before summer track season.

66 miles for the week

Highlights

Couple of runs at 8:18 pace on grass.
    8 miles /w 6 x 800 (paces 5:35,5:40,5:40,5:36,5:39,5:25)
    8 miles XC conditions
    14 miles (7:13 pace)

The body was asking for some TLC so I gave it some slower pace and self massage during the week. You can't beat a hot Epsom salt bath and relaxation music for meditation. I've also been doing my stretches and flexibility as instructed by Ger Hartmann.

This week was my first speed session in a while. Was not under pressure but felt a little heavey. Coach told me later in the week that I was wrapped up a bit much and the tights had maybe restricted my stride.

I found a new route which the coach and I planned an easy run on. A 2.5 mile loop around a field on the side of a hill which included some epic views. The run soon developed into a bit of effort as we climbed and then recovered on the way down. It was enjoyable but far from an easy run. I decided to write it off as a session.

The long run was much easier this week as some of the easier runs have been aiding recovery. My feet have been a bit sore so am introducing the new Kinvara 5 into the system. I got 3 new pairs and have 80 mile in one pair already. They are very comfortable and seem to have bit more support in the forefoot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Good block of training, are you running any indoors?

pconn062 wrote: »
    Good block of training, are you running any indoors?

Was thinking about the 1500 but it is difficult for me to get to Athlone next week.

Just noticed it's not until the following week. Ah I'd have to be convinced to go as I have no motivation towards it for some reason. Is it really only a 200 meter track? Such a newbie I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Was thinking about the 1500 but it is difficult for me to get to Athlone next week.

There are races on 31st and 1st that both have a 1500 on if they are of any use to you. Was planning on running AAI games but I think the lads have managed to convince to me to race the Saturday

ECOLII wrote: »
    There are races on 31st and 1st that both have a 1500 on if they are of any use to you. Was planning on running AAI games but I think the lads have managed to convince to me to race the Saturday

If someone picked me up and dropped me home I'd go.

If someone picked me up and dropped me home I'd go.

I reckon there enough of us going we may be able to organise some sort of carpool

I reckon there enough of us going we may be able to organise some sort of carpool

Is it graded?

Is it graded?

National Leagues but you can enter as an individual. Reckon standard will probably vary from about 4.10-4.40 to be honest but I can't remember them releasing results for last years competition so not entirely sure

National Leagues but you can enter as an individual. Reckon standard will probably vary from about 4.10-4.40 to be honest but I can't remember them releasing results for last years competition so not entirely sure

http://www.athleticsirelandenterprises.com/results_15022014/event026h01.html

http://www.athleticsirelandenterprises.com/results_15022014/event006h01.html

• Advertisement

That's National Seniors (not till 21st/22nd of Feb) Leagues are a different competition

Ah here it is http://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/eshop/Athlone_Results_round_2_league.pdf

Advertisement