Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing Deer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

thewolf_ie wrote: »

Afraid that is outdoors I had a look already and they don't look to have posted results for the indoor one (not sure what the interest was like or the field as it was 1st year of the competition)

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

ECOLII wrote: »
    Afraid that is outdoors I had a look already and they don't look to have posted results for the indoor one (not sure what the interest was like or the field as it was 1st year of the competition)

Ah it's all foreign to me still trying to learn how to run never mind understand the competition structures. Will register tomorrow that way will have to go.

69 miles for the week

Highlights

14 mile run (7:33 /w last 2 mile @ 6 min pace)
    8 mile /w 12 x 400 4 miles warmup 6:45 pace (78,79,79,77,79,81,81,80,79,79,78,77) tough session this.
    Lots of grass runs and plenty of 8:30-9 min pace.
    1 hour Core work was in bits for days even after taking it easy.

After the Tuesday session I knew my body needed some recovery pace. By Saturday I was ready to go again. The last 2 miles of the Sunday long run at 6 min pace was very strong and controlled.

Got new racers the Saucony A6 for my birthday and will be doing a parkrun next week. Loving my new Kinvara 5 too and used them on long runs after breaking them in.

72 miles for the week

Highlights

18.11 Kilkenny 5k park run
    8 miles /w 12 x 200 off 200 jog (35s-34s/65-70 rec)
    14 mile (7:26)
    4 x Double days

The parkrun is not a PB course and it was not a race effort more of a hard tempo. Happy with this.

The 200 where controlled and not all out. Don't strain just train :)

Got engaged, both my birthday and mrs wolfies 30th in Kilkenny so long run was tough after the late nights.

Hitting the 1500 in AIT the coming Saturday to give the back of the field something to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

72 miles for the week

Highlights

4 x Double days

The parkrun is not a PB course and it was not a race effort more of a hard tempo. Happy with this.

Got engaged, both my birthday and mrs wolfies 30th in Kilkenny so long run was tough after the late nights.

Hitting the 1500 in AIT the coming Saturday to give the back of the field something to work with.
    Many congrats to you both. You are going great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

72 miles for the week

Highlights

4 x Double days

Congrats on the engagement man and happy belated birthday.

57 miles for the Week (Recovery week)

Highlights

Lots of recovery runs on grass
    4:41 @ 1500 AIT Indoor National League
    14 mile hilly run (7:23 pace)

Body was due some downtime and was showing some signs that it needed it. Also it was my first indoor race in the 1500 so wanted to give that a good go.

Arranged to travel with follow boards member Ecoli. Had a good chat on the way down and I hope I didn't talk to much. I think the most positive thing of the day was that I was not nervous at all either in the days building up to or while there. I have been getting a lot of help in this regard from my coach. The only negatives I have are that I found the banks difficult and choked for an hour afterwards. They should have spilt the guest race into 2 as it was a bit of a mess at the start. Back in 2 weeks to try again. Nice to meet Chavito and Pconn too.

Hit up some hills for the long run but the lads wouldn't take on a faster pace and grumbled every time I tried to go faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Nice to meet you yesterday. Nerves are ok before a race. It sucks at the time to have to deal with them, but they ultimately lead to one running better, if channeled in the right way. Anyway, if you get another couple of indoor races in this season you'll see that time come down. Leinsters in 2 weeks (entry closes on Wed), Nationals the week after, and if you don't fancy Nationals, there's always the Connachts the week after that. All in Athlone.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Nice to meet you yesterday. Nerves are ok before a race. It sucks at the time to have to deal with them, but they ultimately lead to one running better, if channeled in the right way. Anyway, if you get another couple of indoor races in this season you'll see that time come down. Leinsters in 2 weeks (entry closes on Wed), Nationals the week after, and if you don't fancy Nationals, there's always the Connachts the week after that. All in Athlone.

Ah thank you and same to you. Yes I will give it ago in two weeks and then decide if I try nationals. Have to say it was a great social experience for me.

70 miles this week

Highlights

2 Sessions
    8 x 400 off 60 sec recoveries (Pace 4:50-4:43)
    8 x 400 off 60 sec recoveries (Pace 4:44-4:31)
    13.1 mile (1:27:58)
    NB Core work, flexibility and mediation.

I am not evening forcing it but I feel I'm in the best shape I've ever been in.

The track I use is a little longer then 400 so find it better to list pace. Both sessions I felt strong even more so in the latter part of the week. The aim of the 1500m sessions is to dance a little longer with the lactate.

Was pacing two of the clubs marathon runners for the 13.1 distance. Felt really good and would actually like to pace the 1:30 group in a race as one of my long runs sometime.

I always forget to say I do a weekly programme of Core work, flexibility and mediation. I eat and sleep well too.

• Advertisement

Didn't go to Athlone as life decided against it. Would they transfer my €6 over to other race?

74 miles for the week

Highlights

6 x 400 off 60 sec recoveries (4:40-4:33 pace)
    8 mile Multi Paced run (8:00,7:14,6:48,6:25,5:53,5:44,7:00,6:41)
    16 miles @ 7:30 pace 850ft elevation gain/loss

Done the session early in the week as a sharper for the 1500 in Athlone. Had all intentions of going at this stage. Felt strong on the session.

By Friday things came up and the 1500 was off so me and the coach messed around with a few fast miles. Had no plan just went out for easy run and we let of some steam as I decided not to hit the 1500.

Really enjoyed the long run some good hills and epic views. The Lakes around Lacken are fun.

Switching back to 5-10k training with maybe a half for a hard run. Will return to 1500 in the summer.

77 miles for the week

Highlights

Official 17:37 @ Naas Parkrun 3rd place (17:36 garmin 17:32 strava :p
    5k tempo on grass
    9 x 400 (70-76) with recoveris starting at 60 shortening to 30
    14 mile @ 7:25 in very tough conditions

I felt sick the week and bad weather seemed to pop up during all the hard days. The day before the parkrun I thought I was gone. But some liters of Magic green juice and a good sleep made running a pb very comfortable. I never intended to race it and the purpose was a hard effort.

Mile 1 (5:41)

This mile was very comfortable and I was surprised the two boys ahead where so close. I was in a nice rhythm and moving smoothly.

Mile 2 (5:48)

Slight gap opened up and tried to keep in a comfortable place as didn't want to go all out. I was still moving well and could see the leader pulling away opening about a 30 sec gap. I was about 20 seconds behind 2nd and though he was going to also pull away.

Mile 3 (5:34)

Well I was feeling really strong but I started to reel in 2nd so picked it up. I was work hard but don't think I was all out.

.1 (4:51 pace)

I finished strong and only 7 seconds off second. Very happy with a PB at that effort in freezing conditions.

A few hours later I was back on the grass running 6:10 pace for a 19 min 5k. Was sloppy in parts so all round super day of running.

400s (70,71,70,71,71,71,72,72,74,76)

Well me and coach headed the track and he changed it up with shortening recoveries. Killer of a session trying to hold pace after starting at 70 finishing with a 76!

Long run

Tough tough run freezing blizzard enough said.

78 miles this week

Highlights

5 x 1k (3:18) off 60 sec
    6 mile fartlek (7:14,5:52,6:46,6:22,6:24,6:08)
    14 mile (7:13)

I'm considering changing clubs as need to be in with a group that will bring me on. So first session was 1k and I managed 5. Last one was tough as it was much faster then 5k pace. Loved it and have decided to move.

Done the fartlek the same day as the session. This is starting to become common that I run hard twice in 1 day.

Helping my buddy with a marathon run, it helps that the pace is very easy for me at the moment.

Training very hard, think I broke 37 min for 10k on a hilly training run last week but my watch and strava not agreeing. Recovery week this week and race MSB. Joined new club, transfer in progress will be interesting running with the faster boys. Does anyone even read this please subscribe to continue receiving updates!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Good saying hello again "Wolf".

What was the official time today ?

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Good saying hello again "Wolf".

What was the official time today ?

17:08, watch said 17:05 with a avg pace of 5:23 but course measured 3.17. I was on pace to break it but it's there I'm in top shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

you looked v.strong out there today, thats a superb time.
    I had 3.10 on the watch though.

Cheers A was nice to see you. Ah the official time is the official time no roomfor accuses only improvements! The Stava time is so nice though I've sat in Eddie rockets looking at 16:45 that my burger went cold!
    you looked v.strong out there today, thats a superb time.
    I had 3.10 on the watch though.

45 miles for the week (recovery and race)

Highlights

Full day off
    2 x 4 slow mile days (proper 8:30-9 min slow)
    7 mile 6:50 pace
    6 mile /w 4 x 100 2 x 150
    MSB 5k (17:06)
    7 mile post race tempo 6:26 pace

I thought about not updating the log anymore but after meeting a few boardies and a rethink I decided to keep it going. I learn a lot from reading other logs and I hope what I share will do the same for others.

I've been really putting in the miles with 80 mile weeks being consistently the norm for February. My body and mind was showing some signs of overtrain and looming injury so aligned a super recovery week with the MSB 5k. It was quiet the vacation with a couple of days with just a slow 4 mile. I have to admit though come Friday I knocked out a 7 mile at 6:50 pace which felt like a jog. I personally think this was 1 of 2 important runs of the week next being strides the day before race. See I think you could rest to much and then come race day you're to flat to races. My point is I pesonally think you need to transition to a fast race pace over a number of days. From experience if I didn't do these two key runs I don't think I would have had the same race result. It would have been of the poorer variety.

So I've wrote before about some mental issues like race anxieties and racing in crowds that I have difficulties with. My coach has taught me to just except this as an issue which has dramatically changed my experience. Also eating pizza and whatching a comedy the night before really really helps take the mind offline! <<Key prep!

To write a whole race report would be hard as some of it's a blur so I want to note some key points. Meeting boardsies AMK, Krusty, Drac and my pal Dr.Q who watches over me. To the young lad that nearly tripped me in the first mile. I felt very strong out there and held back between 1-2 mile and really up the pace for the last 1.17 miles. (5:34,5:29,5:11,4:40 pace)

The post race tempo is something i've being doing after a few 5k races to get me ready for the switch to 10k. Today was the mother of all those. I normally do 6 min 3-4 mile version but today I done a longer version but a couple of hard miles. This has worked well and it my body takes it well.

Today was my last race with my current club and I will officially join the new club 1st May. Interesting times hopefully the new coach will guide me as I chase deer!

77 mile week

Highlights

Chasing UPS Van with Dr. Quirky
    Double tempo day 8 + 4
    6 x 1k (3:21,3:15,3:18,3:15,3:16,3:12) off 80-90 recovery
    14 mile (7:15 pace)

NB: I always forget to mention I do a weekly 1 hour core circuit and AIS 2-3 times. I'm afforded a lot of slack to rest by Mrs Wolf!

Well I finally met up with Dr. Quirky who has always shown interest in me staying injury free! What a cool guy I must say. He was expecting a delivery and hay he got a call half way through our run. The nice UPS man agreed if we could cut him off on his way to his next drop we could collect the package. Lucky I knew the area and took us on a 6 min pace dash through parks, lane ways and streets to beat the UPS van. What a rush it was and the most excitement I had on a training run in sometime. Hope he doesn't mind me sharing it!

Please note I don't really plan the double tempos my body wants them so I allow. Listen to your body they said..... The 8 mile spilts were (7:59, 6:59, 6:46, 6:40, 6:20, 6:10, 6:05, 5:36) and it felt so dam good. The 4 mile splits were (7:19, 6:38, 6:19, 6:00) this felt a little harder but I was happy as these type of days really work for me.

The track session I didnt know what to expect as I was tired due to my son not sleeping recently. Some of the lads do 9 reps so my aim was to try get 1 more than last time. So was really impressed considering the pace. Really enjoying having a new training group.

The long run was uneventful other than the last 3 miles 6:40 pace. Noticing a big improvement in my pace.

Considering my options for next 12 week cycle with my eye on track season.

• Advertisement

77 mile week

Highlights

Double tempo day 8 + 4
    6 x 1k (3:21,3:15,3:18,3:15,3:16,3:12) off 80-90 recovery
    14 mile (7:15 pace)

NB: I always forget to say I do a weekly 1 hour core circuit and AIS 2-3 times. I'm afforded a lot of slack to rest by Mrs Wolf!

Well I finally met up with Dr. Quirky who has always shown interest in me staying injury free! What a cool guy I must say. He was expecting a delivery and hay he got a call half way through our run. The nice UPS man agreed if we could cut him off on his way to his next drop we could collect the package. Lucky I knew the area and took us on a 6 min pace dash through parks lane ways and streets and beat the UPS van. What a rush it was and the most excitement I had on a training run in sometime. Hope he doesn't mind me sharing it!

Please note I don't really plan these double tempos my body wants them so I allow them happen. The 8 mile spilts were (7:59, 6:59, 6:46, 6:40, 6:20, 6:10, 6:05, 5:36) and it felt so dam good. The 4 mile splits were
    You're in great nick. Any races planned?

paddybarry wrote: »
    You're in great nick. Any races planned?

Cheers! Looking at K Klub 10k as going to switch up the distance see what happens. Might even do a half before track season see what my range is like. Still trying to figure out what my strength is and will be few years before I might know. I know I won't be going near marathon for a good few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

77 mile week

Highlights

Well I finally met up with Dr. Quirky who has always shown interest in me staying injury free! What a cool guy I must say. He was expecting a delivery and hay he got a call half way through our run. The nice UPS man agreed if we could cut him off on his way to his next drop we could collect the package. Lucky I knew the area and took us on a 6 min pace dash through parks, lane ways and streets to beat the UPS van. What a rush it was and the most excitement I had on a training run in sometime. Hope he doesn't mind me sharing it!

That's a training run with a difference alright ! Spotted ye both on the canal after he had picked up the delivery - looked like a cross between weight training meets running :) best of luck with your training

79 miles for the week

Highlights

5 mile tempo (29:23)
    Sports massage
    6 x 1k (3:22, 3:21, 3:22, 3:23 3:26, 3:27) off 2 min
    15 mile (7:18 pace)

Went down to the club session and felt tired and wasn't expecting a good run. Running is a funny thing as I not only took 1:30 min off my 5 mile pb but it felt like half marathon effort. Very happy with this.

Went to see Ecoli the day after session as I've not had a rub in a long time. The hard training is starting to catch up on me. Legs were dead the day after the rub but seemed to be in better shape by Friday.

Had planned to try hit 9 x 1k but the way I've been feeling I decided to take it one by one. By 4 I knew 6 would be enough better to finish strong than injured. I was on the track in Blessington which has 4 sharp turns and we had 200 meters of tough wind. Just two of us as we couldn't make the group in Tallaght. The effort was there and am happy. The last two reps the wind nearly took us off our feet and it shows in the splits. Plus I don't see point in the higher volume at this point until I find out what my event focus is. I will switch to 6-8 x fast 400 meters a few weeks out from the first graded 1500. I'm planning to try the 3 and 5k then decide which to focus on etc.

Lovely 15 mile run on all the hills in Phoenix park. It sure has been a windy weekend.

77 miles for the week

Highlights

8 mile easy progression (7:14, 7:01, 6:55, 6:57, 6:31, 6:23, 6:05, 6:05)
    4 x 400 off 60s rec (72, 71, 71, 71) jog lap 6 x 800 off 2 min rec (2:31, 2:32, 2:32, 2:31, 2:32, 2:29)
    13 mile easy long run 7:24 pace

The way the run on Monday went I wrote it off as my tempo and decided against the club session. Being cautious as my body is showing some wear and tear symptoms.

Was very anxious about hitting the track session. Have to say the new training group really helps and I feel it went very well. More PB's on the way for sure.

Lovely scenic run around the far side of the lake by Valleymount. Trying to run on the better roads to help body recovery. Thank god I'm coming into a recovery week as my body needs it. Planning on racing K Klub before knuckling down to track mode! First up is Morton 22nd April for the 1500 I think. Unless something unreal happens at the K Klub and I will be entering the 10k instead!

62 miles for the week

Highlights

10 x 600 off 2 min recovery (1:52 avg)
    K Klub 10k (35:36 PB) (5:40, 5:45, 5:44, 5:59, 5:44, 5:35 .2 5:30 pace couldn't get up any more speed)
    13.1 miles (long hilly progression) (7:38, 7:02, 6:58, 7:00, 7:01, 6:58, 7:00, 6:55, 6:57, 6:49, 6:35, 6:16, 6:03)

600s felt easy after a few weeks of KMs. Had planned to hit 8 but managed the extra 2 in 1:50 the fastest of the session.

Well made it to the start line of the K Klub after glute/hip difficulties. Foaming rolling, AIS and a bit of manipulation the night before sorted it out.

Got to the K Klub to be met by a nice strong wind but I didn't let it bother me to much. Couple of mile warmup and some strides and got on the start line.

The funny thing about this was it feels like only recently I was trying to run 5k at the same pace. After 2 miles I was working comfortably hard but I just got on with things.

On the second loop I got a bang of the wind on the slight incline. It took me a little bit but worked back into the pace. It was much tougher than I would have liked but I pushed on as best I could. I started passing guys that had been normally stronger than me in other races. It was only when I looked at my watch in the last KM I knew what I had just done. I got another burst of energy and I kicked on talking some more guys. I was working off a couple of guys encouraging them on to help us charge for the line. The wind was in our faces and a climb to the finish line really made us work.

I have never seen a spread such as the one that met us in the K Klub. Heaven is the only way I can describe it. I am thrilled with my recent progress and AMK has found out my secret when we met after the race. Glad he got a PB Lovely fella can see why he is well liked round here.

Ran a solo half marathon on a hilly route after watching the marathon. As you can see in the highlights I got carried away! Stay tuned to see how far I can push this body because I don't know when it will stop but I will not be giving up anytime soon. Very thankful for this current wave of great injury free running I'm loving it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Great racing in the K-Club. You've come a long way in a short time. Careful not to get carried away with the adrenaline after a race. In my opinion, running that quick on a long run so close after a race would not be advisable. Should really be taking it easier for 3-4 days and only then think about doing some quicker stuff

Got to think about things in the long term ;)

Great racing in the K-Club. You've come a long way in a short time. Careful not to get carried away with the adrenaline after a race. In my opinion, running that quick on a long run so close after a race would not be advisable. Should really be taking it easier for 3-4 days and only then think about doing some quicker stuff

Got to think about things in the long term ;)

Cheers KU, appreciate the advice. I should be chained up after races it takes me days to slow down sometimes.

62 miles for the week

Highlights

10 x 600 off 2 min recovery (1:52 avg)
    K Klub 10k (35:36 PB) (5:40, 5:45, 5:44, 5:59, 5:44, 5:35 .2 5:30 pace couldn't get up any more speed)
    13.1 miles (long hilly progression) (7:38, 7:02, 6:58, 7:00, 7:01, 6:58, 7:00, 6:55, 6:57, 6:49, 6:35, 6:16, 6:03)

600s felt easy after a few weeks of KMs. Had planned to hit 8 but managed the extra 2 in 1:50 the fastest of the session.

Well made it to the start line of the K Klub after glute/hip difficulties. Foaming rolling, AIS and a bit of manipulation the night before sorted it out.

Got to the K Klub to be met by a nice strong wind but I didn't let it bother me to much. Couple of mile warmup and some strides and got on the start line.

The funny thing about this was it feels like only recently I was trying to run 5k at the same pace. After 2 miles I was working comfortably hard but I just got on with things.

On the second loop I got a bang of the wind on the slight incline. It took me a little bit but worked back into the pace. It was much tougher than I would have liked but I pushed on as best I could. I started passing guys that had been normally stronger than me in other races. It was only when I looked at my watch in the last KM I knew what I had just done. I got another burst of energy and I kicked on talking some more guys. I was working off a couple of guys encouraging them on to help us charge for the line. The wind was in our faces and a climb to the finish line really made us work.

I have never seen a spread such as the one that met us in the K Klub. Heaven is the only way I can describe it. I am thrilled with my recent progress and AMK has found out my secret when we met after the race. Glad he got a PB Lovely fella can see why he is well liked round here.

Ran a solo half marathon on a hilly route after watching the marathon. As you can see in the highlights I got carried away! Stay tuned to see how far I can push this body because I don't know when it will stop but I will not be giving up anytime soon. Very thankful for this current wave of great injury free running I'm loving it!
    Savage result, I'm not a bit surprised as you are making huge strides these
    past few months. Keep up the good work.

• Advertisement

paddybarry wrote: »
    Savage result, I'm not a bit surprised as you are making huge strides these
    past few months. Keep up the good work.

Cheers PaddyBarry!

Advertisement