Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing Deer

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Congrats on a savage time, you're making great progress. Make sure you keep this updated ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Congrats on a savage time, you're making great progress. Make sure you keep this updated ;)

Cheers, Sunday's wouldn't be the same without my boards update!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Great time at the weekend.
    Well done. Just reward for some great training

Are you still doing the Naas parkrun regularly? I heard they changed the course slightly which must allow for faster times there, considering that hill used to have to be negoiated three times.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Great time at the weekend.
    Well done. Just reward for some great training

Are you still doing the Naas parkrun regularly? I heard they changed the course slightly which must allow for faster times there, considering that hill used to have to be negoiated three times.

Cheers, yes they changed the start line so you only have the drag twice. It finishes at the worst part so technically id say the worst half is removed!

74 miles for the week

Highlights

Lots of 8 min miles on grass
    Track session 1 x 600 (1:41), 3 x 200 (33), 4 x 400 (67) off 90s-2 min jog
    14 miles @ 7:33 pace

By Monday my legs screamed out for some TLC. I plodded around for most of the week.

With the graded meet on Wednesday I decided to hit the 1500. I jumped in with someone also targeting the same race. He had planned 3 x 600, 400, 200. I questioned it but he was sure it was fine. I'm a simple guy and had been planning 6-8 x 400 which I nornally do. But sure I jumped in and boy as I thought it wasn't easy. In the first 200 the wind whacked us and again during the last 200. Quickly we reverted to the 400s! We made it through 6,4,2,2,2,444 which looking back was great! The wind didn't make it easy but I got what I needed from the session.

Nice handy long run on my own, legs tired from yesterday's session. Will take it easy until Wednesday.

• Advertisement

61 miles for the week

1500 C graded meet (4:29 4th place)
    8 x 1k off 90-2min
    Sick no long run

Happy enough with the graded meet. Was in a lead position for 3 laps and faded a little couldn't get back in time. Was feeling a little wiped and the hanging around all day didn't help.

Belter of a session in the wind, rain and cold. The best session I've ever done. All around 3:15-3:20.

Eat something bad Saturday and it toppled an already tired wolf. Been slacking on the wheatgrass and green juice. I slept most of Sunday and was knocked for 7. Done an easy 4 on Monday and 4+8 Tuesday so coming back around. No sessions this week and will hopefully be able to race Dublin novice.

Sorry about brief update above. Just to add is always great to meet fellow boards loggers at races!

64 miles for the week

Highlights

Recovery week
    Dublin Novice Road Championships Tallaght 5k (17:06) Team Silver!

After being sick and a niggle here a niggle there it was time for some easy running. A day off, 4 mile day and 7 days of no hard running. I've not been doing any strength or core but will resume this week.

My first race with the new club as the transfer just went through. A few of us as part of the novice team set out with the intention of sticking together. We all are at a similar level. I just got home as first scorer for our team. It was a great effort by us with the top three of us finished seconds within each other. Delighted to start with getting my first real medal ever! We will get the head down and try up our game coming into the next events!

Next up for me is graded meet 3k.

65 miles for the week

Highlights

Graded Meet 3k (B&C) 9:53 8th place
    7 x 1k (3:27, 3:13, 3:23, 3:15, 3:24, 3:15, 3:22)
    14 miles easy 7:14 pace

After the 5k Sunday I didn't know what way the 3k would go. I took it handy Monday and Tuesday to allow for recovery. I agreed with the coach to just enjoy it and aim for under 10. I knew 9:30-40 for roughly 5:10 mile pace. First 4-5 laps felt very controlled and at times I wanting to push on. But the watch reported I was on 5:06 pace and ahead of time so I though. I kicked on for the last two laps and finished very strong. 9:53 and a very important lesson learnt and a novice mistake to trust pace from the garmin. This has happened to many times now road races included. But it's good to know that I have a good bit to take off at my next 3k attempt. This was the most enjoyable race I've ever had.

The track was in use this week so it was down to Bushy park for the 1ks. I was still tired from racing and work etc so coach said to not push myself to much. There was a bit of an incline and the surface was a mixture of path, grass, rocky path, people with dogs etc. You can see the difference in the rep times from the incline but still consistent. Happy with the consistency of the effort and felt strong. At the end of the last rep I really kicked on to work on my finishing kick.

Me and the mates Introduced some bigger hills into the our long run this week. Was a lovely scenic run out by Tulfarris. Hilltastic! Next target is the 5k at the graded meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    65 miles for the week

Highlights

Graded Meet 3k (B&C) 9:53 8th place
    7 x 1k (3:27, 3:13, 3:23, 3:15, 3:24, 3:15, 3:22)
    14 miles easy 7:14 pace

After the 5k Sunday I didn't know what way the 3k would go. I took it handy Monday and Tuesday to allow for recovery. I agreed with the coach to just enjoy it and aim for under 10. I knew 9:30-40 for roughly 5:10 mile pace. First 4-5 laps felt very controlled and at times I wanting to push on. But the watch reported I was on 5:06 pace and ahead of time so I though. I kicked on for the last two laps and finished very strong. 9:53 and a very important lesson learnt and a novice mistake to trust pace from the garmin. This has happened to many times now road races included. But it's good to know that I have a good bit to take off at my next 3k attempt. This was the most enjoyable race I've ever had.

The track was in use this week so it was down to Bushy park for the 1ks. I was still tired from racing and work etc so coach said to not push myself to much. There was a bit of an incline and the surface was a mixture of path, grass, rocky path, people with dogs etc. You can see the difference in the rep times from the incline but still consistent. Happy with the consistency of the effort and felt strong. At the end of the last rep I really kicked on to work on my finishing kick.

Me and the mates Introduced some bigger hills into the our long run this week. Was a lovely scenic run out by Tulfarris. Hilltastic! Next target is the 5k at the graded meet.
    Did you use the Garmin to time those 1k reps? I find Bushy Park a disaster for losing signal.

• Advertisement

paddybarry wrote: »
    Did you use the Garmin to time those 1k reps? I find Bushy Park a disaster for losing signal.

Yes the time is not an issue and is always correct afaik. The issue is the distance which is used to calculate avg pace. There is markers for the distance.

59 miles for the week

Highlights

23 min tempo 4.1 miles (23:02 splits 5:33,5:32, 5:40, 5:36)
    10 x 300 off 60 sec recovery (splits 56,56,56,57,57,55,57,57,56,55)
    6 x 1k off 60 sec recovery (splits 3:24,3:23,3:22,3:24,3:24,3:18)
    Long run cut to 50 min this week by coach.

Really enjoyed the tempo, while it was 10k effort I felt strong. Great having a group to work off.

All I could do was laugh after the 300s as they felt easy now after some of the longer reps I've been doing. Guess this is a sharpening session.

Bad head wind nearly all the time during the 1ks. Nothing but the head wind for company as I was solo. Tough session but strong considering the quality this week.

Coach cut my long run my 50% and also very little running before the graded 5k. He even gave me a day off Tuesday. This week has to be the highest training intensity I've ever done. My body has held up very well over the last number of weeks. I've been doing the AIS, nutrition and rest very well.

59 miles for the week

Highlights

23 min tempo 4.1 miles (23:02 splits 5:33,5:32, 5:40, 5:36)
    10 x 300 off 60 sec recovery (splits 56,56,56,57,57,55,57,57,56,55)
    6 x 1k off 60 sec recovery (splits 3:24,3:23,3:22,3:24,3:24,3:18)
    Long run cut to 50 min this week by coach.

Really enjoyed the tempo, while it was 10k effort I felt strong. Great having a group to work off.

All I could do was laugh after the 300s as they felt easy now after some of the longer reps I've been doing. Guess this is a sharpening session.

Bad head wind nearly all the time during the 1ks. Nothing but the head wind for company as I was solo. Tough session but strong considering the quality this week.

Coach cut my long run my 50% and also very little running before the graded 5k. He even gave me a day off Tuesday. This week has to be the highest training intensity I've ever done. My body has held up very well over the last number of weeks. I've been doing the AIS, nutrition and rest very well.
    You are in fantastic shape. Has the change of club being the main factor in your improvement?

paddybarry wrote: »
    You are in fantastic shape. Has the change of club being the main factor in your improvement?

Cheers, it has been a part of it certainly. I think mentally I improved as I feel I have to run better and train harder with the big club. Most of all I'm enjoying it more than ever!

Cheers, it has been a part of it certainly. I think mentally I improved as I feel I have to run better and train harder with the big club. Most of all I'm enjoying it more than ever!
    Keep it up, you have made savage gains.

60 miles for the week

Highlights

14 x 120 meter strides
    Day off
    5k Graded meet (17:03 tiny pb)
    10 x 300 (56 avg)
    6 x 400 off 60 (69,69,69,69,69,69) jog lap 4 x 800 off 2 min (2:34, 2:31, 2:32, 2:32)
    12 mile long run 7:30 pace

I guess the strides were used as a tune up session. I done them on grass.

I was told to take a day off before the race. On the morning of the race I jogged 22 min on grass. I'm not really into typing massive race reports anymore but will list some of the key points. I worked at home the day of the race as I found that it's a long day when I go from the office for a 9 o'clock race. You should always go early to graded meets as sometimes you could be on earlier. I actually like the edgey feeling this gives it. Our race was merged with A,b,c and the only two women entered. Race was off well ahead of time because of this. I was on pace until the last mile when I got a stitch which is not normal for me. This made the last mile really tough and didn't even know if I would finish. I was in so much pain but managed to run the last 200 in 30 after hearing 16:33 being called at the 200 point. Maybe if I hadn't the stitch I may have dipped under the 17. I was in bits and was floored after and couldn't even manage any more than half a mile cool down. I think it was caused by a drink I took on before which I normally drink after races. Stupid mistake.

Done 10 x 300 off 60 after a strength and conditioning session. Felt really good during this. Loving all the fast stuff.

A cracking day for a track session. Felt very controlled and strong during this. Really liked this session and starting to feel my strength growing.

Was a little tired during the long run but I'm happy now as a few easy days now! Very happy with how my body is holding up.

60 miles for the week

Highlights

Lots of easy running on grass
    Strengthening and core
    8 x 800 off 60 sec recovery solo session (2:36,2:37,2:37,2,36,2:36,2:37:2:37,2:35)
    First Pilates class
    8 x 400 (71/72) off 60 + 4 x 800 (2:36/2:35) off 2 min (Comfortably hard but taking it easy)
    53 min trail run (long run cut)

Alarms had been going off so kept away from any OTT laboured efforts. All sessions done at a comfortablly controlled effort. Dropped my 10 x 300 session and only ran an easy run instead.

I am very happy I could run the above sessions at the effort I did . I don't mean easy but not as hard as they would normally be. I slowed them down a tad from the previous week. Coach said it is one of the hardest things to do (back off or drop sessions) and the fact that I done so by my own accord is a Big PB!

3k Graded meet here we come!

60 miles for the week

Highlights

10 x 200 fast 200 jog (34,33,33,32,33,33,32,31,31,29)
    Graded meet 3k (9:45 pb)
    Core session follows by 10 x 300 (55-53)
    12 x 400 off 60 (69-73 varied due to high winds)
    13 mile long run on grass bank along canal

Week started with a sharpening session. Weather was appalling but it had to be done. I was on my own and maybe a little over 200 so a second or 2 on each rep I guess. Good session not exhausting and just got the speed up and tried to get faster while maintaining good form.

Enjoyed the 3k even though I was a bit tired due to poor sleep. Faded a little in the last two laps so will be hoping to improve a good bit next time. 8 second pb since last month so all good.

I done two sessions for core and strength etc this week. One of them was followed by 10 x 300. Feeling really strong at the minute and some areas of weakness are getting good work.

Saturday the wind was out in force. 3 of us set out an attacked from the start. This is one of my best sessions ever. The splits slipped due wind but boy the effort was there by rep 8. I had no watch so just remember 69-70 be called by coach mostly but time splits varied due to wind and fading heard 73 for the last. Tough tough session from 9-12

For the long run ran along the canal on mostly grass banks which was great with company. A great quality week of running and still early days.

58 miles for the week

Highlights

10 x 400 off 60 sec (70/72)
    60 min Core & SC session
    8 x 300 (51/52) with 300 jog (90)
    8 x 200 (31/32) off 200 jog + 4 x 400 (67/68) off 60 secs
    7 mile including 5k pacing for friend (17:26)
    No long run

Well what a week between being tired and then coming alive just in time for sessions. I think my body shuts down to recover in between sessions and springs into action for some pretty strong sessions. My idea for this week was to recover after the tough 12 x 400 from Saturday. I think it was lingering right up until Friday.

First session of the week was on the cinder track for 10 x 400. It is a little long and foot traction is a problem but it's what I have to work with and have been just focusing on form on the tight corners of what I call the box. All in all a nice session and always good to put the local lads through a good session.

Next session was 8 x 300 fast 300 jog by far my favourite session of the week. Again on the cinder track and this was one of those days where I was wrecked but sprang to life and was floating around feeling top of the pops!

Sticking with my plan to avoid big efforts I set out for the Saturday tartan session at Tallaght. Just wanted a fast leg turn over and save myself for the 1500 on Wednesday. Job done and was very surprised at hitting the 67/68 without hitting massive efforts.

Hit up a local 5k with the intentions of running it to pick up prize money with an easy run. A few phone calls and found out there was in fact no prize money for the 5k. I was after arranging to go with a local running buddy and felt guilty when I heard his excitment fade when I said I wasn't going. So I then agreed to pace him to a pb which was sub 19 which would be handy enough. Low and behold I won, he came second and bagged a 17:55. I came home in 17:26 and have ran harder tempos. Only feels like yesterday id be racing for that result. Think the course was a little short.

Plan for the 1500 is go out in 68 and hang on!

59 miles for the week

Highlights

10 x 200 (35) off 200 jog on grass
    1500 graded 4:20 new pb
    10 x 200 (32) off 200 jog
    4 x 200 (32) off 45s jog, 4 x 300 (50) off 60s jog, 4 x 400 (69) off 60s and 2 x 600 ( 1:57) off 60s (feeling strong)
    12 mile long run 1:30

First up this week was a strides session on grass. Ran fast while keeping relaxed and really enjoyed it.

Out of all the distances I have ran the 1500 makes me so nervous during the days leading up to it. I tend to just run the mantras "I've done the training just go and display it" and "I promise not to chicken out". I had previously planned to run 68 per lap and getting the race number 68 was to me a funny coincidence. I remember hearing 68 for the first 400 and after that I just stuck to the guy that later won the race. I see a lot of guys obsess over the splits but boy after a lap or two I just focus and maintaining a strong good effort. I feel it's better to run by effort and if you can without much effort check splits. But I don't know my name by the time the second split is called let alone check my watch. With 500 to go the guy that later won made a break from the group and I went with him. Each 100 we got faster and he started pulling away and guys started coming round and I responded as best I could. Coming down the home straight I pushed as hard as I ever did and tried to relax as best as I could. Never have I pushed that hard before. I finished in 4th and it was very close for the next few spots in both directions. I didn't have anything left to give and it is my most strongest race effort this year or even ever!

I done an S&S session followed by 10 x 200 off 200 jog. Felling much stronger lately and expect further improvements over the summer.

Down to the tartan and by far the toughest session I've done. It was really warm and the pace was hot from the start. I slowed down for the 600 as my glute started to complain and if I've learnt anything it's to never push through it. It disappeared when I dropped pace a bit so all good.

Nice long run with some lads from the club in Phoenix park. Some great guys and really learning lots from their experienced advice.

Next up 3k graded meet 6.

• Advertisement
Advertisement