Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing Deer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Mon 13/05

1hr:30min gym work a lot of which targeting the hips and glutes.

3 miles @ 8:30 MPM 145 AVG HR

Gym work was great really enjoyed a quiet evening to kick my own ass. Added the hip exercises the physio recommended lets hope they fix the imbalance.

Tues 14/05

5 miles (7:59,6:41,6:47,6:35,7:00) @ 7 MPM 164 AVG HR

Did I say I loving running at this pace. I hurt more running slow can someone explain why???

Wed 15/05

Rest day. The foam roller was out in force. Getting ready for Terrenure on Sunday.

Thurs 16/05

Easy 6.2 miles progressive @ 7:52 MPM 155 AVG HR

Had really tough day at work and wasn't expecting much tonight. But from the moment I took my first step I felt renewed. I could of whacked out a tempo but took it handy. I'm feeling confident about a PB for Terrenure maybe it's the fact I've never done a 5 miler before. I'm going to run it relaxed and let faith take me along. Got good advice from the forum on my technique while running the easy miles. I treid it tonight and seems to be working as the above was my best easy run in weeks. I don't know if I'll run before Sunday. Will walking around the Zoo on Saturday count?? I was thinking of tracking mileage with my watch. Oh I noticed I was hitting 4:11 MPM during intervals recently so after Sunday I will play with that :)

Terrenure 5 miler and post race run

19/05

5 miles @ 6.33 MPM (32m.49s unofficial) (5:55,6:33,6:53,6:45,6:37) 178 HR AVG

19/05

Post race run

5 miles @ 7:32 MPM 167 HR AVG

First of all sorry I didn't go sub 30 for the 10 round numbers didn't want to risk blowing up. Me and a club pal went together today both tackling different times. We did a light warm up before heading to the start line both slotting in the appropriate place at the start. The place was buzzing and everyone in good spirits.

Mile 1

I went out a faster then intended and only noticed when my watched beeped the first mile. I had the thought that I was not going to check the watch to much maybe if I didn't I might of got the sub 30. It felt ok but I didn't want the risk blowing up, I had already decided that the sub 30 was to much work.

Mile 2-4

I spent these miles readjusting from the fast start. I wouldn't say I was in anyway near danger zone. I had agreed at the start with a stranger we would go for somewhere between 30-32. I went ahead at the start he reappeared struggling at mile 3. I let him ahead as I was still trying to find my handy pace after a fast start. Maybe i should of went ahead I felt the redusting took more out of me then if i had i went on at the faster pace. I only noticed summer arrived while the race took place at this stage.

Mile 5

I was surprised it was near the end already. I was really enjoying the pace now. The support along the route was great. I had a few heavy breathers along the way here and there. Wasnt took over much at all only when i slowed. I thought the start line was the finisher the end and went for it over take a good few until I realized I had to go again. I heard afterwards I wasn't the only one that did this. The spread afterwards and the weather really had the place buzzing.

I decided to go for another run post race when i got home just to get the mileage up for the week. I had done the garden before hand which is fairly big. You know weeding really stretches some areas it really felt good. Sorry didn't meet anyone from here. I was going to start asking people were they boardsies!

Mon 20/05

Recovery 5 miles @ 7:33 MPM

I ran from work to Tallaght for part of the journey home. Lucky I didn't run any slower as the bus arrived the same time at the point I currently meet it at for the remainder of the journey home. I acctually enjoyed the run without the watch but still had the phone updating me every mile. I was carrying a bag weighing 4 kg which was no problem. I felt really strong snd light today even with the bag. The new runners and the new easy running is working. I thought of my kids happy faces as I ran every now and then and it renews me. I decided I'd hit the jacuzzi and suana for a short while and skip the gym so i'd get home early.

Tues 21/05

Club intervals

1.5 mile W/U 8:10MPM

Pyramid 800's (5:34MPM),600 (5:39MPM),400 (5:29MPM),200 (4:28MPM),400 (5:21MPM),600 (6:26MPM),800 (5:47MPM)

1 mile W/D 7:08MPM

5 mile total 154 AVG HR

All intervals are a little more e.g the 800 shows as 837 on my watch. Was feeling a little zapped today to begin but got on with it. A young track star was out tonight in all his 16 years of age. Don't think his trainer but he didn't give out, I tried to tag on a couple times lasting no more than 2-400 each time. The lad was amazing maybe I need to be training with him. Thanks to Anto for keeping me going till the end. Looking back at the watch the times had some nice vo2 paces. A sessions a session!

• Advertisement

Wed 22/05

Recovery 5 miles @ 8:36MPM 144 HR AVG

Went for lunch time run with a friend who is trying to get back into running. This is new territory for me running 4 days in a row. Was a lovely run up the canal and the pace was nice a slow. No planned rest day until Sunday, it is time to get ready for the higher Mileage!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    All intervals are a little more e.g the 800 shows as 837 on my watch. Was feeling a little zapped today to begin but got on with it. A young track star was out tonight in all his 16 years of age. Don't think his trainer but he didn't give out, I tried to tag on a couple times lasting no more than 2-400 each time. The lad was amazing maybe I need to be training with him.

He was only toying with you as he was warming up :p
    Thanks to Anto for keeping me going till the end. Looking back at the watch the times had some nice vo2 paces. A sessions a session!

Not sure about that, you were showing me a clean pair of heels most of the night. ;)

You still need to get a bit more consistent with your pacing, looked like you were a bit erratic with your splits

Ah he lives behind me ill call him out when I have fresh legs the little whippersnapper!

I'll try again next Tuesday, I couldn't hit the speeds or stay there just seemed to be no power. I think it was mental block. Thanks for the advice always welcomed!

Thurs 23/05

Easy 5 miles @ 8:11 MPM 154 HR AVG

Thought it best to take it handy. Enjoyed.

Fri 24/05

Long Run 16 miles @ 7:40 MPM 162 HR AVG 777 feet gain 93 loss

Ran home from work today to see what effect the weather plus big hills would have on me. Pretty solid run with a quick pits top for a drink. The Saggart climb was lovely nice to get in some longer distance again. Out with a group in the morning so will see how my legs are then as I feel like running again.

Sat 25/05

MLSR 10 miles @ 8:35 MPM 145 HR AVG

Final run of the week and what a day. Was nice to run with the group for a bit of banter. Total of 46 miles this week. Feet need some work and muscle behind shin. Nothing major bit will sort them out before Monday. First rest day tomorrow in 7 days. Really happy with progress.

• Advertisement

Sun 26/05

Rest

Jacuzzi and Sauna

Monday 27/05

I had a twinge in my back from twisting wrong last week. Got the bright idea to go for a Thai Massage early today. It brought out all my niggley bits and she said please do not run for at least one day. I'll hit the Jacuzzi and Sauna on the way home. Hopefully I'll be ok to run tomorrow. She was like a hunter finding all sorts of tightness on my legs she really got in to the shins. It will be interesting to see what way the running goes after that session.

Tues 28/05

2 mile w/u

5x400+200 with 200 easy recoveries

400 (1:19), 200 (32)
    400 (1:07), 200 (33)
    400 (1:14), 200 (33)
    400 (1:13), 200 (31)
    400 (1:14), 200 (33)

1 mile w/d

Really happy with this session the recoveries where a bit long and a bit easy. But I was leading the group and pulling the back with encouragement. I was also taking it easy after the Thai massage.

Wend 29/05

Recovery

5 miles @ 8:48 MPM 143 HR AVG

Went for a run on the canal today on a mixture of grass and paths. Found it hard to keep the heart below 70% (garmin) on the grass. Legs felt tired today and my running buddy from work was leading the show today. I enjoyed the new route down to the Aviva. I think I will be running recovery by feel in future I felt I was using effort monitoring. I guess the grass and heat was also added to the mix.

1 hour gym session for core, strength and flexibility. I'm really tired today and was going to skip this today. Really busy at work so need to charge up before the long runs this week!

Quick update to say i'm still alive.

Thurs 30/05

8 miles @ 7:29 avg 160 HR avg (couple of faster miles around 6ish)

Fri - 31/05

Tendons in foot sore from weakness in hip trying to resolve in gym.

Sat 01/06

9 miles @ 8:40 MPM ava

Went from Bray to Greystones and back along the cliff etc to give my foot a rest. Really enjoyed this run a very slow start and flying downward finish. Liked the rough paths would be into something a little tougher to help with ankle strength.

Sun 01/06

Rest

Mon 02/06

5 easy miles @ 8 MPM avg on grass around Punchestown racecourse

1 hour 30 minutes GYM

Spent a lot of the time on hips and glutes with 25% extra on weak side. Sore today so I did the job. Hope the niggles on the weak side will fade over time so I can train harder. Good few core workouts in this session with some weights with hi reps.

Tues 04/06

2 mile w/u

Intervals

Distance/Time
    1200 (4:14)
    1000 (3:34)
    800 (2:43)
    600 (1:59)
    400 (1:13)
    200 (27)

155 avg HR current max hr 190.

1 mile w/d

Still a niggle in the foot which I believe is due to weak hip. Started off nice and relaxed and finished relaxed and strong for each rep. Got faster with each rep. Hopefully will get a good 5k time at the end of the month before getting back into the longer distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Tues 04/06

2 mile w/u

Intervals

Distance/Time
    1200 (4:14)
    1000 (3:34)
    800 (2:43)
    600 (1:59)
    400 (1:13)
    200 (27)

155 avg HR current max hr 190.

1 mile w/d

Still a niggle in the foot which I believe is due to weak hip. Started off nice and relaxed and finished relaxed and strong for each rep. Got faster with each rep. Hopefully will get a good 5k time at the end of the month before getting back into the longer distance.

Great session in this heat!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Jaysus lad you were flying tonight, looked very strong throughout.

Gavlor wrote: »
    Great session in this heat!

Thanks fella! Was cracking weather.

antomagoo wrote: »
    Jaysus lad you were flying tonight, looked very strong throughout.

Thank you really enjoyed it. Seen you blowing along too!

Wend 05/06

Easy 5 miles @ 8:12 MPM 147 HR avg

Very warm today. Ran on grass today due to niggle in foot. It must be mild tendinitis caused by landing hard due to weak hip as diagnosed by physio. Hope the strengthening will help and will get better. Been taking some tablets to help after running with some diclac cream.

1 hour gym session

Targeting the hips and glutes primarily. With some other core, leg and arms work.

• Advertisement

Thurs 06/06

Club Intervals on Track

Fast/Easy/Fast/Recovery minute
    400/200/200/1

2 mile w/u (8:20 MPM,7:29)

70 sec/Easy/37/Recovery
    77 sec/Easy/36/Recovery
    83 sec/Easy/38/Recovery

1 mile MP (6:47 MPM)
    1 mile w/d (8:15 MPM)

Well this was a disaster of a session. The session was planned for 5 sets and my mind was saying not to even do a second session in one week let alone the fact that my foot has been bothering me. Just for information purposes my left foot has been experiencing tendon issues first the inside and now the outside. I am doing a lot of rehab with the golf ball, self massage and expert help. I call it conditioning. My physio said it is due to weak hip because since I started training everything on the left leg has got some sort of issue which causes training modification. Anyway as above I pulled out of the session early and tried to keep going at planned marathon pace but my foot was annoying me so after a mile I started to ease off and get through the warm down mile. I am now limping.

Fri 07/06

Off (freaked limping) Doing rehab.

Sat 08/06

10 miles @ 8:40 MPM 155 HR avg (hilly and sore foot)

Sun 09/06

Rest

Mon 10/06

Forced Rest due to foot (freaked)

Tues 11/06

Went to Club and decided against intervals. Ran with similar runner as myself for roughly 5 miles as I had no watch. Started nice and easy and for a couple for upped the speed. He recorded 6:40 MPM for one of the miles. Foot was niggling but much better today. Have been doing lots of rehab and stretching, golf ball and massage of the lower legs. No limping anymore and hopefully I keep going in this direction.

Wend 12/06

Planned rest day no gym.

Thurs 13/06

9 mi @ 6:47 MPM 170 HR AVG (170 ft gain 161 ft loss)

5 mi @ 8:30 MPM 150 HR AVG (159 ft gain 147 ft loss)

Thanks to Krusty_the_clown for the inpiration. I went out with the intention to have a field test before starting my plan for DCM. This gives me lots of confidence to do this early on. Hopefully my heart rate improves for this pace, I was just at the high end of PMP range.

Fri 14/06

Recovery 5 mi @ 8:34 MPM 144 HR AVG (cinder track)

Belted out of it by rain and wind. Had a Smile while watching my little white dog keep up with me for the entire run. It was nice to see him off the lead and free the lovely little fella.

Sat 15/06

Long Run 14 mi @ 8:52 MPM 145 HR AVG (242 ft gain 236 loss)

The plan was to stay with the club group and not lash on. Felt pretty good after Thursday and another positive indicator of a good response to my training to date. No problem with foot just a very mild niggle. I'm very pleased to say the show goes on. I'm glad I took the extra rest and no speed work this week.

39 mile total which for this week is great considering my recent foot problem. I was limping last week and a little at the beginning of this week. I'm going to do week 1 on repeat now until the plan starts. Looking at mesocyle 2 I'll need to be fit!

Mon 17/06

LT Session 9 w/ 4 mi@HMP

9 mi @ 7:21 MPM 166 HR AVG

I had great expectations for this run but soon realised that it wasn't going down in funky town. I am convinced the poli poli warm up and excessive static stretches ruin my runs. Going straight out suits me but time will tell. The fastest I could reach was 6:46 MPM and hung on for a few 7's. This is the first session in my 18 week DCM plan which starts next week so hopefully I puk up. Maybe all the rubbish I eat at Super man for fathers day didn't help.

Tues 17/06

MLR

11 mi @ 7:33 MPM 160 HR AVG

Felt in much better shape tonight and was holding back at times and felt I could go all night. After a warm up and dynamic streact with some drills I went out at 6:45 and settled back into a nice comfortable pace after the first mile. My body seems to like this is issues tonight after this type of start. I did about 44 laps (400m) of the cinder track, our club is having a trackaton (105 laps) in August so I guess I will be well able by then. It will be my first time to hit 26.2.

Wend 18/06

Recovery

5 mi @ 7:50 MPM 150 HR AVG

Felt I was holding back from start to finish. I allowed my self an allowance because it the early run and the heat. I really wanted to hammer it out but kept telling my self I would pay on Thursday even it is only at GA 9 miler. Hope to get the gym later to do come core will give the legs a break and focus on hips and glutes.

Monday 24th is my start date for DCM plan! excitement!

Mon 17/06

LT Session 9 w/ 4 mi@HMP

9 mi @ 7:21 MPM 166 HR AVG

I had great expectations for this run but soon realised that it wasn't going down in funky town. I am convinced the poli poli warm up and excessive static stretches ruin my runs. Going straight out suits me but time will tell. The fastest I could reach was 6:46 MPM and hung on for a few 7's. This is the first session in my 18 week DCM plan which starts next week so hopefully I puk up. Maybe all the rubbish I eat at Super man for fathers day didn't help.

Tues 17/06

MLR

11 mi @ 7:33 MPM 160 HR AVG

Felt in much better shape tonight and was holding back at times and felt I could go all night. After a warm up and dynamic streact with some drills I went out at 6:45 and settled back into a nice comfortable pace after the first mile. My body seems to like this is issues tonight after this type of start. I did about 44 laps (400m) of the cinder track, our club is having a trackaton (105 laps) in August so I guess I will be well able by then. It will be my first time to hit 26.2.

Wend 18/06

Recovery

5 mi @ 7:50 MPM 150 HR AVG

Felt I was holding back from start to finish. I allowed my self an allowance because it the early run and the heat. I really wanted to hammer it out but kept telling my self I would pay on Thursday even it is only at GA 9 miler. Hope to get the gym later to do come core will give the legs a break and focus on hips and glutes.

Monday 24th is my start date for DCM plan! excitement!

You're tipping along nicely.... 44 laps?? F&ck me!! That's some willpower

You're tipping along nicely.... 44 laps?? F&ck me!! That's some willpower

It was grand until everyone left and it was just me and the track. Hopefully by Oct 6:50 will be easy ;) if not the bibles in the bin and I'm hitting the JD!

It was grand until everyone left and it was just me and the track. Hopefully by Oct 6:50 will be easy ;) if not the bibles in the bin and I'm hitting the JD!

Forget 6.50, it's too tight.... 6.40 is the way to go ;)

Forget 6.50, it's too tight.... 6.40 is the way to go ;)

It could go either way :) hopefully I keep progressing and stay injury free. I'll run the upper end of Marathon pace at the time. I run by heart rate and feel so depends how it goes at the time I guess. I think running by pace is counter productive.

Lost data from my watch for about a week. lucky i was punching in data to this and excel.That is apart from Thursday but had that fresh in my mind minus HR but guess it was 150ish.

Thurs 20/06

GA 9 mi @ 7:30 MPM (lost data from watch)

Early morning run around the lake with some nice drags to make it interesting. Felt I was holding back at times as was finding it easy.

Fri 21/06

Recovery 5 mi @ 7:42 MPM 147 HR AVG

First run in Wexford from mobile home to our lady's island and back again. Was holding back and felt really strong today. Looking forward to the long run tomorrow.

Sat 22/06

Long run 15 mi @ 7:28 MPM 158 HR AVG 222 ft gain 237 loss

Second and last of the runs while in Wexford. Tried to wait on the wind to calm down but wanted to get out before the morning was over. Sun was out but it was fairly windy. I was wondering when the increase in pace and mileage this week would catch up with me. But early in the run I was holding back the same way with the last couple. I just wanted to bag this 54 mile week and be proud, I was not trying to hit my half PB. I kept myself in check all the way just taking it handy. Hit the main road out to Rosslare and back again. Took in some of the views at the top of the hill at the europort on a small bit of trail, truely amazing I just wanted to stop. Did I mention the wind smashed me from start to finish but it was a relief as it was warm. Anyway that week didn't take much from me so I may have to work a little harder next week. Although I have some personal issues and time off work to deal with but I have support in place to keep the show rocking!

keep that show on the road

• Advertisement

Mon 24/06

W/U with some quick drills (no stretching)

9 mi w/4 pace @ 6:55 MPM 165 HR AVG, Elevation 310 gain 287 loss

Splits (6:47,6:43,6:41,6:39,7:07,7:27,6:53,7:27,6:44)

W/D gentle jog/walk with stretching

Decided to get the pace miles done first because the route has all the gain near the end. I felt tired today and managed to get away early as I'm starting two weeks leave from work. My plan states to do the 4 pacers at HMP but my marathon goal is faster then my last half PB. Anyway I guess I just went by feel today and was surprised one lap after another coming home good. Acctually the garmin stats say my AVG HR was 6 beats per minute lower than my last similar run. I wouldn't say the run was hard it was acctually very enjoyable. Only issue was a couple of niggles around knee and foot some attention needed there.

I have a 5 k on Sunday which normally is a rest day so a bit of juggling to do and decide weather to hammer it out. But I think the high Milage may have took my speed. Any advice of wise ones???

Advertisement