Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing Deer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Tues 25/06

11 mi @ 7:06 MPM 156 HR AVG

Another 44 laps of the cinder track. Statistically a massive improvement on last week. Felt very strong throughout tonight. My partner had major surgery today and made sure my training kept going with a babysitter in place. I'm so lucky. I decided to run the 5 k on Sunday ill switch my rest day to Saturday and complete the long run after or around the 5 k. Aim is the cruse a sub 20 but I'm on strict orders from Antomagoo to hammer it. But I don't want to mess up my training by trying to running for a 18 or below.

Shoes: Brookes Ghost

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Hammer it, no excuses, you won't mess up your training. The way you've been going your due a good race ;)

My new saying is run easy to run fast. Anytime I say i'll take it easy I get faster. Thanks BTW for the company for a few laps!
    antomagoo wrote: »
    Hammer it, no excuses, you won't mess up your training. The way you've been going your due a good race ;)

Wend 26/06

Recovery 5 mi @ 7:46 MPM 147 HR AVG

40 min core, stretching and foam roller.

Felt great today considering I was being Mammy and Daddy to three kids and visiting hospital etc. Always find I'm holding back lately on runs. Does gardening count for a core workout? I have fairly big gardens which can take days to do. I was working my core a lot on the trees, bushes, hedges and lawns :)

Shoes: Kinvara 3 (Red & Black)

Thurs 27/06

9 mi @ 7:36 MPM 149 HR AVG

1 mi w/d

The demand from home life is taking all my energy but I still headed out even though I wanted to curl up and hide. I planned to take it real handy at the club and run with the pack. Our coach that takes the monthly session shows up and grabs me and Antomagoo and say he wants to run with us. I knew at this stage my easy run was out the window. I had run 4 easy miles already so I only had to endure 5 with the lads. Surprisingly I was grand and we easly popped out a few 6:4Xs. Would love this to become a regular thing as it was easy running at this pace with others. My hip is tight and I'm thinking of pulling out of the 5k on Sunday. :(

Fri 28/06

Recovery 5 mi @ 7:21 MPM 149 HR AVG

Although I was feeling exhausted from the week of hospital visiting and what not I felt really strong today. It was difficult to stay within my recovery range. P&D prescribe less than 76% of max HR which I touched over a couple of times. My hip is annoying me now, this is the hip that I was told was weak so I guess the work on this areas is activating so I see this as a gain in the making. Skipped gym workout because the Misses got out of hospital. Hit the gym just for the 2X 10 mins each of sauna (I used a Sliotar to try release the hip), Also a dip in pool and jacuzzi. If my hip is not better I'm not running the 5 k Sunday.

40 min foam roller with stretching while watching tv eating pizza. I wasn't actually eating while on the roller. Spent good bit on hip areas and IT Bands.

Shoes: Kinvara 3 (White&Blue)

NB: Resting heart rate has dropped from 44 to 39. I noticed faster recovery from exertion to rest during training also.

• Advertisement

Sat 29/06

Rest

My hips in rehab to try get out for 5 k and long run Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Savage run yesterday fella, well done

Sun 30/06

2 mi w/u

5 k (18:50) 174 HR AVG

Keith Duffy 5k in the park

Getting out the door

Well I was working on the hip area and flexor around the clock. I was out of bed early and straight onto the roller after first shot or 4 of wheatgrass. I spent 30 mins on the roller before hitting the juice bar in my kitchen again this time for the beet juice with carrot, apple and ginger. After this was the muesli and banana. I know it's only a 5k but I had 15 miles to knock out today. My buddy picked me up before 9 to head down he had done the 5 miler yesterday but agreed to go ahead again.

The warm up and scrabble to start line

We got there really early I like to relax and warm up with my buddy. I got the courage up to talk to runners that looked like I would watch them going off into the distance from the start. Nice lads from Raheny, Crusaders and Rathfarnham got some advise as it was my first 5k. The start was delayed because of the ambulance had not arrived. A couple of us devices to pace up and down. When out they started the count down three of us rushed back and just as we stepped on the line we were off. It was like a double start but the effort for the first was lost.

1-2 k

As was advise I went out fast to advoid the stampede by fun runners. Was surprise for the first k I was with the leaders clocking the first mile at 5:30. The lad from Raheny was pulling away at this stage. I decided to pull back out of this pace as I was unsure what would happen if I kept this up.

2-3

Later on I found out the women with the other attractive young female partner was Catherina Mc Kiernan. At this stage the leaders where drifting away. My second mile was 6:24. I decided I better pick it up as 8th and 7th place was drifting.

4-5

I thought at this stage I should have never slowed up. I proceeded to progressively pick it up and burst home. The 3rd mile on my watch recorded 6:19. I think I kicked on a little late but was hitting about 4 MPM pace for the last bit. I had lots left in the tank even enough to help move the goody bags from the jeep up the road nearer to the finish line.

I finished in 18:50 so I guess this was ok for my first 5k without spiecific training. Was nice to get the legs moving fast after a break from speed sessions. Only complaint was the start and tie shirts.

Shoes: Kinvara (Blue & White)

10 mi @ 7:41 MPM 158 HR AVG

Took this one handy after the race. I hip was a little tight but I enjoyed unpacking the days race.

Mon 01/07

8 mi @ 7:12 MPM 154 HR AVG

Took this handy as I was limping this morning but had a good session to loosen before had which made the run easy. Skipped the 10 x 100m strides as yesterday was enough speed work.

antomagoo wrote: »
    Savage run yesterday fella, well done

Thanks Buddy!

Tues 02/07

12 mi @ 7:33 MPM 150 HR AVG

This run was intended to be easy as I want to save myself for the weekend which sees me doing 16 with 8 at pace. I headed down the club early and headed out in the riad after 4 miles on the track. I tagged on with two runners who were running 8:30-9 MPM. But I met a new foreign challenge tonight called soaked to the bone. By mile 6 I was ready to turn back but I didn't want to be beaten. The lads turned at this point and I was alone but this is the norm these days. I picked up the pace trying to make up the few minutes lost up till now. My tops, shorts and runners felt heavy with the wet. It was belting rain and I was really wet. I thought this better not happen at DCM but on the plus side I'm ready now. Finished the run in a much better time then I had expected. I little faster will get me the sub 1:30 at Clontarf. No taper so it is just a training session so no bother if I don't hit it will have a few more goes this year. Home to put the kids to bed a bowl of stew, the foam roller and the Hurley ball.

• Advertisement

Wend 03/07

Slow recovery run

5 mi @ 7:49 MPM 146 HR AVG

Up really early today with a bunch of tasks which included getting a load of rubbish to the dump like old furniture etc, cleaning the car and taking the boys to the barbers. This doesn't sound much but I was ready to return to bed at that stage. I set out on my run early evening as I wanted to head the gym after. I felt tired today on the run and kept a slow pace for the duration. Was ok and hip is a bit, hopefully the flexor loosens up soon. I got home and had a peanut butter bagel and banana. I lay on the sofa and said I'd relax for 40 minutes before gym. Well here I am 2 hours later and going nowhere. Feel much better after that nap and promise to do some core work tomorrow. Going to chill with the better half and watch a movie and forget about running till tomorrow. Who am I kidding a 20 run would be easier.

Thurs 04/07

Easy Aerobic 9 mi @ 7:19 MPM 153 HR AVG

1 mi w/d

Went to the club and tagged on with Antomagoo for his run. Really enjoyed it pace was easy and we had a good chat. Did a lot on foam roller today. Hip is much better today. Anto here are the splits from miles 3-8. (7:46,7:07,7:00,7:10,7:19,7:01). You'll have to try make this a weekly session.

Fri 05/07

90 minutes flexibility and strengthening in the gym

Recovery 5 mi @ 7:37 MPM 151 HR AVG

Went the gym about 12 today the plan was 30+30 but ended 30+60. Was nice to give the hips and abs a good working during the 60 minutes strengthening.

The evening run was going grand up to mile 2 after that my legs felt sore so I slowed up. I think the heat made my heat rate increase. When I got home I tried a test on my IT band and it was in a heap. I spent 20 minutes working the pain out. I thought it was hip pain over the last week but I guess I was wrong. Hopefully the work I did tonight helps and it doesn't develop any further. The funny thing is I have sports first aid training tomorrow would be funny if I hobbled in. It is a full day so will have to get the 16 miles in tomorrow evening.

Sat 06/07

Intended 16 mi /w 8 @ MP pace

Completed 12 mi @ 7:18 MPM 161 HR AVG Elevation gain 220 loss 235

Pace splits (7:02,7:03,6:58,6:50,7:19,7:09,7:37,7:04)

Had a really bad run today ended in pain on the side of a road on the N81. Putting that aside I learnt a valuable lesson. Never run faster than is needed early in the week. Looking back over this log I completed an aerobic run at near MP. Recovery runs could be slower. Warm up properly.

I decided that the pace miles at 7 MPM would be ok seen as the route is not flat and it was very hot. You can see from the splits I was struggle to maintain pace with the elevation and feeling like I was 20 miles into a marathon. From the off I found the pace difficult. The pain from my hip was already annoying. I dropped bottles at 5 miles swearing I would never carry again. I felt better without having to carry two water bottles now. I got to mile 8 and slowed down. The next 4 miles where difficult and I stopped at 12 while trying to tell myself it was the best thing to do. Clontarf half was next week and I don't want my hip pain issue turning into something that will make me stop running altogether. The IT Band stretches are painful but are helping. I guess I was warned about running to fast when not planned and today I paid the price but this is how I learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

*this is not in any way a medical opinion but I think a rest period to sort out the it band issue might be on the cards. It ain't going to get better by continuing to run on it

Thanks man I have that card in my hand ready to play it.

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    Thanks man I have that card in my hand ready to play it.

I'll catch up with you in clontarf. I'll be in a blue singlet running away from a tranny nun :D

Coolabula, I'm in blue and white.

Sun 7/7

Planned Rest day

3 X 40 min foam roller and stretch.

Self massage of hip flexor. It was sore afterwards so I guess I hit the spot. Left side IT band responding well to treatment but in a really bad way. Not sure about running tomorrow.

Mon 8/7

11 mi @ 7:44 MPM 155 HR AVG Elevation 206 ft gain 206ft loss

Well I am very happy I got out today I was trying to go slow but watch was clocking 6,54, 6:48, 6:49 for the first 3 miles. IT band was grand once i kept good form. I planned to meet someone after 5 miles I was glad they came early and slowed me right down to just under 8:30-9 MPM for the next 5 miles. After that we parted and I pickup for the next 3 miles 7:21,7:11,6:48. Felt really strong today. I need to slow it down for the rest of the week or I'll not get 1:30 in Clontarf.

Tues 9/7

11 mi @ 7:56 MPM 150 HR AVG Elevation 600ft gain 560ft loss

Went into the hills for some slow running. Left leg still annoying, hip flexor, IT Band and glute all tight after this.

Wend 10/7

5 mi @ 8:17 MPM 147 HR AVG

Getting good at slow hopefully helps with my niggles. Also freshens me up for Clontarf.

40 mins Core and flexibility
    I am spending all my spare time attending to my lumpy bits I mean my damaged muscles. Form roller and massage with anything that hurts.

Thurs 11/7

9 mi @ 8:31 MPM 141 HRV AVG

GETTING BORED. Bring on Clontarf. Leg improving lots of working going into the large football sized knots.

• Advertisement

Fri 12/7

Rest for race

Sat 13/7

Clontarf Half Marathon 13.1 mi 1:36:14. New PB

Was great meeting Gavlor and RunningKing who also introduced me to Dilbert and Belcarra. It was pretty warm before the start but seemed to cool a little.

1 mi w/u

Quick warm up to get ready. Felt ok no noise from the hip area.

Mile 1-6

Set off with the pacers and was pretty comfortable for this period of the race. Hip started complaining at the end of this section and I paniced which made my breathing go funny or maybe the heat was getting to me also. By the end of mile 6 the 1:30 group seemed about 100 meters ahead. By the turn about I was in pain and I decided to try and not look at the balloons moving off into the distance. Thinks to Gavlor for the hose down with his water bottle as he passed me looking good.

Splits (6:47,6:47,6:51,6:53,6:56,7:12)

Miles 7-12

I took on to much water at the water station at the turn around. I got a stitch and on my right side so I now had two issues and my pacing really suffered plus it was really warm. About mile 9/10 I got a stone in my shoe and had to stop. I was kind of glad because this seemed to ease the issue with my hip. I think I changed my running form to compensate and it was costing me I just couldn't get back to pace but I did try. I had the energy but if I opened up my hip hurt.

Splits (7:19,7:36,7:41,8:48,7:24,7:18)

Mile 13.1

Would you believe I walked some of this because I tired to pick it up before hand the soft sand tool it out of me. With some encouragement I got going and focused on the finish line.

Split (7:29)

I met Gavlor and RunningKing at the finish and we all agreed it was a tough day in the heat. We relaxed for a bit enjoying the nice goodies before saying goodbye. I had the club track clean up to attend and some bushes would feel my anger at the crap day I had.

Plan is to get a sports massage lucky I can get one on a Sunday. Plan to take few days.

Just had a sports massage and dry needling. I was asked how was I running with my leg in that shape. One knot was so big it took multiple needles! Dry needling is my favourite. I set a new PB for the amount of needles used.

Had another session of a sports massage followed by dry needling on Wednesday. Work completed on the entire left side toe to top front to back.

Sat 20/7

8 mi @ 8:46 MPM

First run in a week after Clontarf. To early to tell but my left side still tight around ITB/hip but greatly improved with the work. Some more sessions to release I guess.

Mon 22/7

9 mi @ 7:26 MPM 161 HR AVG w/ 5 @ pace

Pace miles (7:13,6:59,6:52,6:37,7:35)

The plan was 9 with 5 @ HMP but really I should NOT of tried. I went out with the intention to have an easy run but I got faster and faster and finally I paid the price when my leg went. A waste of a week off. I didn't even hit the pace apart from one mile. It felt like I had to carry my left side for the remaining miles but managed to get it loose again. Maybe I will leave the pace miles for a while. Next run 14 miles ill pray I can even get out.

Tues 23/7

9 mi @ 8:00 MPM AVG

Half of this was run on a treadmill the other on the track. I jumped in with the interval group for the mile end of their pyramid session hitting 6 MPM which effort wise felt like sub 4. I stopped a number of times to stretch the IT band. Feeling like there is no end to this tightness. It has the hip, quad and hammer tight. Bahhhhhhjhhj

Heavy session of operation loosening the $u**. I mean I attacked my leg like Mohammed Ali! Acctually think the fast pace and high kness helped today.

Wend 24/7

5 mi @ 8:17 MPM 143 HR AVG

Recovery run at work. Huston we have left off! First run I have enjoyed in weeks. :)

Thurs 25/7

12 mi @ 8:02 MPM 147 HR AVG

Yesa get in there! Not 100% but I am enjoying running again.

Fri 26/7

5 mi @ 9 MPM 132 HR AVG

Ran at lunch with my boss who is only getting back into it. Lovely run down the canal missing the heavy rain. No trouble from leg but it still is not 100% loose.

Haven't been doing core or strength work but will do some foam roller and ball to release tension.

12 mi @ 8:40 MPM 141 HR AVG

16 was planned but all came to an abrupt stopped when I stretched at mile 12. Hip seized up and I couldn't release it. First thing I thought was the National half next week. I let the group go on and I limped on to try and release the hip. I was up near manor Kilbride coming down from the roundwood turn when my mate drives up the road. What was the chance of that. Got a lift home. Took a chance a rang the physio for an appointment but none available. A few minutes later they called back as someone canceled after I called. Everything was going in my favour now.

The physio got investigating right away no messing around and determined it was some deep hip rotator/upper glute weakness which is my issue. I knew this so was good to be told the third time by third practitioner. He released the muscle and used electrodes on my glute. I've never had this before little wired but felt like it was working. He seems to think I can go back on Monday as normal and reckons I'm in good shape. I just need to strengthen the glute and hip rotators. I've only to go back if it seizes again. Be interesting to see when I run Monday the results. Could it be that simple????

He gave me new exercises as I told him his colleagues prescribed some which I do. He thinks now with the upper glute release it will help with everything below. Happy days.

Mon 29/7

Unplanned rest day

Tues 30/7

1 hour gym flexibility and hip/glute/abb strength.

Interval session

My 2 mi w/u (7:10,6:40)
    1 mi w/u
    6 x 400 fast 200 slow
    1 mi w/d

I decided to forget the Marathon plan for tonight and join/relax in with the interval groups. No leader tonight so I took the warm-up and slower group. During my warm up before I took the group I was hitting sub 7 easily this was a good sign. Not a peep from my hip or surfing muscles. After the session with the group I decided to stretch out and see had my leg really recovered ahead of the Half on Monday. I choose 400 meters and spun around feeling very strong and relaxed. I was surprised at how easy I hit 55 seconds. I wanted to go again but withheld the beast. I took the warm down and stretch with the group and they seemed to enjoy it. I just repeated every I have heard at previous sessions to make me sound like a coach. It was good to kick back and chill out and to top it off with a sub 60 sec 400 was sweet. I feel I have much faster in me, even feel I would like to try a sub 4 mile after the marathon. That 400 was a new PB which smashed anyone I have ever done. I must get injured my often or maybe it was watching the seniors in Santry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    Mon 29/7

Unplanned rest day

Tues 30/7

Interval session

My 2 mi w/u (7:10,6:40)
    1 mi w/u
    6 x 400 fast 200 slow
    1 mi w/d

I decided to forget the Marathon plan for tonight and join/relax in with the interval groups. No leader tonight so I took the warm-up and slower group. During my warm up before I took the group I was hitting sub 7 easily this was a good sign. Not a peep from my hip or surfing muscles. After the session with the group I decided to stretch out and see had my leg really recovered ahead of the Half on Monday. I choose 400 meters and spun around feeling very strong and relaxed. I was surprised at how easy I hit 55 seconds. I wanted to go again but withheld the beast. I took the warm down and stretch with the group and they seemed to enjoy it. I just repeated every I have heard at previous sessions to make me sound like a coach. It was good to kick back and chill out and to top it off with a sub 60 sec 400 was sweet. I feel I have much faster in me, even feel I would like to try a sub 4 mile after the marathon. That 400 was a new PB which smashed anyone I have ever done. I must get injured my often or maybe it was watching the seniors in Santry.

Hahahahaha 55 is smoking- tell me why you're running the marathon again? Whats your 5k pb?

• Advertisement

55 400m???

There must be something in that diet thing after all!

Some going

Advertisement