Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing Deer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

drquirky wrote: »
    Hahahahaha 55 is smoking- tell me why you're running the marathon again? Whats your 5k pb?

I'm only running since late last year so I'm on a journey of discovery. 18 minute 5k I've only ran one so would like to smash that on second attempt.

Gavlor wrote: »
    55 400m???

There must be something in that diet thing after all!

Some going

Ye i was surprised getting a 55 sec 400 meter. Man it's all the physio work on the hips.....

I wasn't expecting it at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Hold the boat! You ran a 400m in 55 seconds without any of the following:

1) Knowledge of how to run the distance through inexperience
    2) Any speed sessions (60m reps etc)
    3) Speed endurance sessions (hard 200s and 300s)
    4) Race conditions
    5) Any sort of power work in the gym

And this was at the end of a session? And you found it easy??

Were you wearing spikes or flats? If flats then you can take a bit more off again if you had spikes on.

Scrap the marathon and join a sprint group ASAP and try out the 100 and 200 aswell to see if you are an all out sprinter or more of a distance sprinter. If you are running 55 with extremely unfavourable preparation (long slow miles doesn't exactly help in the development of speed) then if you dedicated yourself to it you could be running sub 50 and competitive at Nationals. Don't waste any more time running slow 5K's (in comparison) and even slower Half Marathons. You'd want to be running the marathon in under 2 hours 30 to justify doing this ahead of getting down to sub 50 in the 400m.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I have to agree with pisco... That's phenomenal time without any proper structure.

I wonder if your injuries indicate that distance does not suit you.

Maybe you are built for the shorter stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Crazy. What club are you in? Put the marathon training to one side and find the track group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Bloody Hell :eek: I think your officially the fastest in the club now, knock the distance running on the head and get training with Pat or head up the road to Tallaght :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

antomagoo wrote: »
    Bloody Hell :eek: I think your officially the fastest in the club now, knock the distance running on the head and get training with Pat or head up the road to Tallaght :p

Unreal and take the 2nd option ;)

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    I feel I have much faster in me, even feel I would like to try a sub 4 mile after the marathon.

Anybody else notice this?

Wow was it that good? All the attention is making me nervous.

I was running 67 back in May but I don't trust the track as its loose gravel and the turns are crap. I wear Kinvara 3's. I haven't been doing much intervals with the marathon plan. I have lots of races planned up to the DCM I was planning track work after that. I had a four year plan to sub 2:20 the marathon but if my makeup is track then I'm sure that will happen. Once I'm having fun I don't care once I run fast. I want to run faster over the marathon if I am to be honest.

That 400m time is much more impressive than any of your longer race results.Why not talk to a track coach? Try out some shorter distances, maybe not even the sprints but 800m, 1500m, mile?
    Is there any particular reason why you want to run a marathon this year? You're not going to do anything special, just tick a box, and if you do have a long term plan of going sub 2.20, building a fast base in middle distance isn't going to hurt.

• Advertisement

Wow was it that good? All the attention is making me nervous.

I was running 67 back in May but I don't trust the track as its loose gravel and the turns are crap. I wear Kinvara 3's. I haven't been doing much intervals with the marathon plan. I have lots of races planned up to the DCM I was planning track work after that. I had a four year plan to sub 2:20 the marathon but if my makeup is track then I'm sure that will happen. Once I'm having fun I don't care once I run fast. I want to run faster over the marathon if I am to be honest.

I love your ambition!!

A roger bannister and almost Olympic standard marathon time?

Planning on visiting mars any day soon?!

Gavlor wrote: »
    I love your ambition!!

A roger bannister and almost Olympic standard marathon time?

Planning on visiting mars any day soon?!

Mars is a bit of a soft target pal!

For the moment if I get a sub 1:30 for the Rock and Roll half on Monday i'll be happy out.

RayCun wrote: »
    That 400m time is much more impressive than any of your longer race results.Why not talk to a track coach? Try out some shorter distances, maybe not even the sprints but 800m, 1500m, mile?
    Is there any particular reason why you want to run a marathon this year? You're not going to do anything special, just tick a box, and if you do have a long term plan of going sub 2.20, building a fast base in middle distance isn't going to hurt.

I've paid for the races that's the only reason. I had already decided that I would have a go at track after October. I was going to decide after that what the focus of 2014 would be.

Wend 31/7

Recovery 5 miles slow

Lunch time run today with the boss for my recovery run. If I didn't run with him I wouldn't run in recovery mode. My butt and hips felt like I done right in the gym yesterday. No word either from my recent niggle. Only thing I would say is I could feel the difference in the energy system from running fast and short yesterday. All good in the hood.

I've paid for the races that's the only reason. I had already decided that I would have a go at track after October. I was going to decide after that what the focus of 2014 would be.

But there is no track in October. Track season is in summer, not winter.

Way too many alarm bells going off for my liking here. Definitely possible that you could be a talented freak that is 100% built for sprinting, but the fact you are shying away from exploring this talent makes one doubt the legitimacy of that clocking. Sorry.

There's a 400m at the graded meets soon. Why not run that? If you feel you can go much faster then why not go for it? No point saying such things and then running away from it. Sticking with slow distance times because you have already paid the entry fee is one of the stupidest things I've read on this forum.

It was my watch it could be wrong. When is the meet?

If I beat 55 I will focus on that distance. What do I need to run on track like spikes and that? Will it be block start how and where can I practise that? I havent a clue like.

Edit: Ok it's the 7th August but there is no 400. Seems thats the last meet by the schedule I got online. You name a track and bring your watch and I'll give 400 my best effort on the day.

FYI if you read the start of this log and my race schedule you'll see I am raising money for children with Autism on the back of the races. That is the main reason I'm doing that so if you think that is stupid so be it.

If I beat 55 I will focus on that distance. What do I need to run on track like spikes and that? Will it be block start how and where can I practise that? I havent a clue like.

Edit: Ok it's the 7th August but there is no 400. Seems thats the last meet by the schedule I got online. You name a track and bring your watch and I'll give 400 my best effort on the day.

FYI if you read the start of this log and my race schedule you'll see I am raising money for children with Autism on the back of the races. That is the main reason I'm doing that so if you think that is stupid so be it.

Seriously, just join a sprint group. If you can run 55 at the end of a session "easy" off zero relevant training then you have a lot of talent which needs to be utilised. Find another way of raising money. Why the marathon is forever associated with charity is beyond me. If this 55 is the real deal then don't waste your talent plodding to slow marathon times.

Have a flick through pisco's log. It'll give you an idea as to the level of commitment required by most people to hit a 55

I suggested middle-distance (800, 1500, mile) runs above because
    - you don't need to learn how to start from blocks
    - you could get away without wearing spikes
    - you can find some open mile/1500 races through the year, not just at the graded meets

If there's a track group at your club, you could arrange to do one or two sessions with them. The coach there will be able to assess you, let you know what races are coming up that might be suitable, and (since you're committed to the marathon this year) maybe help plan your training so you can transition rapidly.

I'd say the main thing is to talk to someone in real life.

• Advertisement

I'd say the main thing is to talk to someone in real life.

:D

Speaking as an internet weirdo, you can't pay attention to any of us...:)

In fairness to thewolf he's put in a lot of work since joining the club in December. Earlier in the year doing 400's he would blast out and I'd usually catch & pass him after 200m. He's gone from that to leaving me for dead over 400. I'm very slow over 400, probably flat out I'd run 01:1x. I'd say he's easily 5 -10 sec quicker than me.

Also the club is only small & fairly inexperienced, mainly made up of couch to 5K graduates a handful of marathon runners, with only 2 capable of hitting 3 hours, and one member who would focus on track work and he'd give all them a good run.

One thing though the track is a gravel track and probably not exactly 400 (actually think its slightly longer) and the bends are more like 4 corners with straights in between and probably not suitable for wearing spikes. So would be interesting to see what time he'd hit on a real track.

which club is it, out of interest?

which club is it, out of interest?

Lakeshore Striders in Blessington

antomagoo wrote: »
    In fairness to thewolf he's put in a lot of work since joining the club in December. Earlier in the year doing 400's he would blast out and I'd usually catch & pass him after 200m. He's gone from that to leaving me for dead over 400. I'm very slow over 400, probably flat out I'd run 01:1x. I'd say he's easily 5 -10 sec quicker than me.

Also the club is only small & fairly inexperienced, mainly made up of couch to 5K graduates a handful of marathon runners, with only 2 capable of hitting 3 hours, and one member who would focus on track work and he'd give all them a good run.

One thing though the track is a gravel track and probably not exactly 400 (actually think its slightly longer) and the bends are more like 4 corners with straights in between and probably not suitable for wearing spikes. So would be interesting to see what time he'd hit on a real track.

what track is it?

So he ran 55 at the end of a session, cruising, without spikes, without anybody to push him, on an oversized gravel track with corners, without any specific training or knowledge and experience of how to use blocks and of how to run the distance properly?

Remarkable achievement. Get down to a real sprint group and you'll be national champion in 2 years!

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    what track is it?

So he ran 55 at the end of a session, cruising, without spikes, without anybody to push him, on an oversized gravel track with corners, without any specific training or knowledge and experience of how to use blocks and of how to run the distance properly?

Remarkable achievement. Get down to a real sprint group and you'll be national champion in 2 years!

The club built the track on the grounds of the community college. Do you know Blessington at all?

As for the 55 400. I wasn't there so can't vouch for it, as I said he's easily 5-10 sec quicker than me (flat-out) over that distance, 20 sec quicker...........

Rock and Roll half marathon best race to date. 1:28 thank you very much! Will update log soon for previous week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Rock and Roll half marathon best race to date. 1:28 thank you very much! Will update log soon for previous week.

Good running! Any ridiculous sprinting to get you to the line? :P

• Advertisement

drquirky wrote: »
    Good running! Any ridiculous sprinting to get you to the line? :P

No but I really enjoyed it and at least its not over in less then a minute. Seen your time mighty so it was!

Advertisement