Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing Deer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Thurs 1/8

8 mi @ 7:50 MPM 147 HR AVG

Fri 2/8

5 mi @ 7:25 MPM 159 HR AVG

Sat 3/8

7.4 mi @ 8:29 MPM 144 HR AVG

Rock and Roll and National Half Marathon

13.2 mi @ 6:41 MPM (1:28:17) 167 HR AVG

Pace (6:40,6:57,6:49,6:44,6:41,6:38,6:32,6:41,6:48,6:48,6:31,6:52,6:25, I hit 5:30 for the last .2 ;))

Who decides to have a race at half 8 when I live in Blessington. Up at 5:30am to start the fueling etc. Met up with a few of the group from the club to drive to our posh underground car park before the race. Was great banter on the way plus I was trying to tune in the Trance music which the guys didn't like! It gets me in the mood.

Anyway got in there around 8:30 was pack already. Made my trip to the toilet before leaving my bag at the drop point! I disappeared at this point and warmed up with the front of the corrals. I placed myself behind the yellow ballon (1:30) where I also found Antomagoo. I acctually needed to go the toilet which I decided against because I didn't want to be using any energy till gun time. I didn't know what would happen after gun and finishing as was still upset of the failure in Clontarf. I just wanted 1:30 out of the way so I could move on.

Bang on where off the ballon pulling away from the get go. I smartly thought easy does it as I pick my way through the feild of 6500. What I feeling a wave of runners all with the same goal to get to the finish line as fast as they can. I wanted to get there faster than I could.

Mile 1-3

We where banging out the miles and it was feeling really easy. I thought everyone's watches were broke including mine. Mile 1 bang the first band, deadly whoop whoop. Bang mile 2 another band, sweet. I started to pull in front of the paces I felt I had brakes on and I know this ain't good. My focus was nice and easy., stay relaxed, deep slow breathing and tell myself it was recovery pace. Bang another band it sound like a train and my rhythm seemed to match. Ok ok another 3-4 to get by the danger zone. I kept telling myself to stay in the moment and don't be wishing the race away.

Mile 4-6

Pretty much the same, band after band or odd dj even as I progressed. I was flying it and it was easy. I even had some banter with a boardsie before pushing on. "Stay in the moment don't worry about the next mile until you get there." This is what I told myself when my mind difted from the present step. I was Zen running this race and it was making a big difference.

Mile 7-9

Ah here leave it out, I'm by the half point my watch is reading 6:18 and I'm passing people. I'm loving this and I don't want it to end. I thought I better slow it to avoid blowing up. Just a little.

Mile 10-13

After mile 10 was when I had to start digging in, no thoughts of stopping I was taking this and taking it now. I remember slowing a little for mile 12 and then I got down to bussiness to polish it off. Oh I didn't see the pacer from mile 3 onwards and I never looked back. I think leaving the group made this race what it was for me which was my best yet. You know it acctually happened to fall on my first year running anniversary. I only discovered this days later.

I came away thinking the guys on my log will see over the next while what a slow marathon is. I'm only starting and am a far way off my best. This race has gave me my confidence back. I guess it's not a dream because the official results say I ran 1:28:17. I need to take off a further 22 or more to win, how long should that normally take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

great running - how much different did it feel from Clontarf??

great running - how much different did it feel from Clontarf??

Thanks pal. Heaven and hell! Felt really strong and enjoyed this compared to feeling **** and giving up during Clontarf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

The last line is funny.... At least I hope you are being funny!!!

Gavlor wrote: »
    The last line is funny.... At least I hope you are being funny!!!

I'm a funny guy!

• Advertisement

Tues 6/8

8 mi @ 8:08 MPM 140 HR AVG

Recovery run after half marathon.

Wend 7/8

5 mi @ 9:24 MPM 128 HR AVG

Out with the boss again I told him he needs to speed up because I can't be running this slow. On the upside I'm sure it must help right? Hit me today after the half my legs hurt.

Thurs 8/8

9 @ 7:24 MPM 151 HR AVG

Stupid treadmill hurt my knee. My top was soaked from the sweat. For the pace it was much tougher on the treadmill.

Fri 9/8

7 mi @ 9:11 MPM 131 HR AVG

Out with the boss during lunch again. But faster then last time. He is getting faster but I question the benefit I get from it. I guess I'm giving back by getting him back after a long absence. My knee is sore after the treadmill. Can't seem to shake the tiredness from the half I've a headache all week. I've drank 3 little or more a day.

Sat 10/8

21 mi @ 8:30 MPM 145 HR AVG

My longest run ever. I was running on empty apart from a banana. I reluctantly took a gel at mile 18 which got me though. Delighted with this weeks running a 1:28 HM PB, the most weekly mileage and longest run ever. Happy out. I'm very tired and sore but delighted.

Mon 12/8

A.M. 6 mi @ 8:10 MPM 146 HR AVG

First run of my double day from the P&D plan. The 21 miles on Saturday left some damage under the left foot. About 6 hours or so after the 21 miles it got sore. I have been doing work with the golf ball ever since. It made this mornings run uncomfortable but became bearable after a few miles with only a few mild twinges. The route was on the canal in the direction of Ballyfermot which I encountered a nasty head wind. Nice easy pace throughout nothing else really to report.

P.M. 4 mi @ 9:25 MPM 128 HR AVG

Second run of my double day accompanied by my boss same route as above. My foot is now painful and had to finish on my toes which totally removed the pain. The issue seems to be on the outer side of the underfoot. Plantar Fasciitis type stuff. Will see how it is tomorrow it might be just from the long run and the high mileage last week. Dreading the thought of extra rest days....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

I'd be careful with the foot pain- you're a pretty new runner and just looking at your last week, you've a HM pb, a 21 mile run and a bunch of miles at 7-7:30 pace. The main thing about running a good marathon is getting to the start line healthy- listen to your body and take days off/ back off runs when needed. Don't push it w/ the foot- I've seen too many runners w/ your enthusiasm wind up on the shelf cause they tried to push too hard when not quite ready for it...

drquirky wrote: »
    I'd be careful with the foot pain- you're a pretty new runner and just looking at your last week, you've a HM pb, a 21 mile run and a bunch of miles at 7-7:30 pace. The main thing about running a good marathon is getting to the start line healthy- listen to your body and take days off/ back off runs when needed. Don't push it w/ the foot- I've seen too many runners w/ your enthusiasm wind up on the shelf cause they tried to push too hard when not quite ready for it...

Thanks for the advice.

drquirky wrote: »

That's what happened me, over training ;)

• Advertisement

No running today and physio tomorrow!

Went to physio and had made a rapid recovery between Monday and getting there. I had been using the golf ball and stretching the calfs. Today I was still limping and had to walk on the toes of effected foot. But by lunch today it seemed to just get better by the hour even enough to start running a little.

Anyway got to physio and he said it was fine now and that it was the flexor hallucis longus tendonitis again but had cleared up but was still a little tight. I felt like stupid because it was really bad and seemed to almost disappear. He said the recovery rate for me is good and that to keep up the work with golf ball as this speeds up the recovery too. I can run again and he doesn't need too see me unless it hurts again. He said that it is likely because of the previous week to be the cause and my body will just get stronger and it will most likely stop happening.

Happy out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Very lucky boy. 1st time to see tendonitis clear up so quickly especially without it interfering with your training bar a rest day yesterday. Onward and upward with training so.:)

I know it's the second time it happened. When I run 14 miles tomorrow I'll believe it.

Thurs 15/8

10.2 mi @ 7:41 MPM 160 HR AVG

This was my first run back after hurting my foot again. The same problem with the flexor hallucis longus. It gets tight and in turn causes soft tissue damage due to my land being modified. I takes 2-3 weeks to Iron out. Useful to force rest.

I was meant to run 14 miles on this outing. I was back in Wexford for the week and between the roads and the weather I was getting bettered. Out to Rosslare and back with the Wind, rain and potholes on the menu and puddles for dessert. My foot was grand up to mile 9 and by 10 I called it even with the rain hammering down on this windy and bendy back road. I was lucky I thumbed a lift after a mile or 2 soaked to the bone. God bless my savior who in fact was braving the rain to go swimming in the rain.

Fri 16/8

5 mi @ 7:35 MPM 153 HR AVG

At this stage I should tape the golf ball to my foot as I use it that much. I swear by the almighty golf ball though! Out we go sure 5 miles won't hurt. Up to our lady's island and back and yes I said a prayer for my foot. A big pilgrim gig on this weekend which my mother is going to for the healing mass. I actually enjoyed this run only a mild annoyance from the foot. I had dipped my foot in the holy well early that day when I was getting holy water for my mother. Bit sureal walking through feild to be met by this alter type well that all sorts of folk get dipped in for healing purposes if you understand thT type of religious stuff. Son dip your foot in there, it will make it all better. I always do as I'm told and sure it was warm and I was already there. A statue of mother Mary staring at me as I took off my runner. I was brought up to be religious but the only time I got to church are for deaths or weddings etc.

Sat 17/8

7.8 mi @ 8:17 MPM 146 HR AVG

I decided to head out to Wexford town and take in some of the Half route in reverse. I took my phone as I woke today and my foot was also in reverse. I was still holding out for the healing to work. I got 7.8 miles into 20 and called it, I can run uncomfortably but not in pain. I took my phone as I had the feeling it was coming. Back to the golf ball oh I mean drawing board!

Sun 18/8

Planned Rest

Mon 19/8

10 mi @ 8:04 MPM 153 HR AVG

I wish this beach was longer I hate lapping things that are hard. Very nasty head wind on the way back I had to do 3-4 laps to get 10 miles. It might be easy on the legs and that but I found out during Clontarf I don't like beach. Anyway foot is only niggling and seems to be worse at morning time but the rehab work is working great. Stretch, ball, stretch and massage every chance I get. On the plus side I'm spending lots of time with the kids trying to tire them out for me this counts for core work the way they keep wrestling me.

Tues 20/8

14 mi @ 8:05 MPM 154 HR AVG

Feel as if this injury is starting to pass. The good thing about this injury is that it makes me keep what I think is good running form. Only a couple of times did it bother me but nothing to make me stop. Started on the beach but the wind was there again so aborted to the road. Thought I was lost but got to Rosslare and then took on a familiar route. Finished at speed on the beach! :):):)

Wend 21/8

6 mi @ 7:24 MPM 149 HR AVG

Back to Wicklow and back to normal, just! Felt really strong tonight was holding back all the time. Did some sprints afterwards and some form and flexibility drills.

Frank Duffy 10 mile will be used as PMP Miles during planned 16 miles oh to resist the speed.

Thurs 22/8

13 mi @ 8 MPM no HR as I forgot strap
    2 x 400s race on track against 12 year old (69 sec handy)

So the 12 year old Kenyan (dear) came the track today to try to out run the wolf. The fastest 12 year old in the town the kids brought. First during warm up they put the best against me whom I easily beat not even needing to come out of first gear. They waited for me to run 13 miles to have a go again but again failed. They had been telling my son that they wanted to race me for weeks but they stalked me today a tribe came down in wait. Was a bit of entertainment for the kids and a nice way to start/finish training tonight. Hit the same pace for the 400 at the start as I did at finish. Nothing to serious as it was not in the plan but my son was with them and I had to put on a little show. I told them keep eating your fruit and veg and you might beat me one day.

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    Thurs 22/8

13 mi @ 8 MPM no HR as I forgot strap
    2 x 400s race on track against 12 year old (69 sec handy)

So the 12 year old Kenyan (dear) came the track today to try to out run the wolf. The fastest 12 year old in the town the kids brought. First during warm up they put the best against me whom I easily beat not even needing to come out of first gear. They waited for me to run 13 miles to have a go again but again failed. They had been telling my son that they wanted to race me for weeks but they stalked me today a tribe came down in wait. Was a bit of entertainment for the kids and a nice way to start/finish training tonight. Hit the same pace for the 400 at the start as I did at finish. Nothing to serious as it was not in the plan but my son was with them and I had to put on a little show. I told them keep eating your fruit and veg and you might beat me one day.

This has to be considered for post of the year!

Fri 23/8

I had my running gear and intended to run at lunch but between lack of sleep and **** at work I didn't.

Sat 24/8

Frank Duffy 10 mile race (67m:59s) + 6.5 miles

16.5 @ 6:56 MPM 166 HR AVG w/ 12 mi @ PMP

Picked a few club runners up including Coach Tommy. Me and Tommy ran the 2.5 mile warm up before hitting the start line.

2.5 mile warm up including first PMP (6:50)

The gun went off shortly after I got there so was only a brief pause before the race.

Miles 1-3 (6:09,6:34,6:53)

I went out a lot faster then I intended and started to far up front. This was to make the first 5 miles tough. I tried to find the right pace but couldn't slow up until mile 3 which at that stage I was being passed a good bit. I was mentally fighting between wanting to drop out and thinking I would never be able for the full marathon.

Mile 4-6 (6:57,6:55,6:50)

I managed to settle into the toughness a little I think relaxed thoughts. I didn't like the 180 turns and paths but was grand on the roads. I had a lovely bum in front and it really helped get me together. I locked in and enjoyed the view. After mile 5 I was ok and believed I could motor on. Thanks nice bum for the new lease of life.

Mile 7-9 (6:41,6:53,7:00)

I was running by feel at this stage and was thinking the fast miles at the start should buy me some time on the hills. I started shouting on the stewards which they enjoyed and the group I was with seemed to like it too. I then had a bit of banter just before we hit the final mile which helped.

Mile 10 (6:44)

I picked up the pace just a little because I knew I needed a little in the tank for the 4 miles after the race. I was starting to pass a few so when I seen the finish line I dug in and according to my watch was hitting 4:52 pace for the last stretch.

Got through the finish area I seen Alan and Dave brief but my mind was on finish this training session!

4 miles warm down plus PMP Mile (6:50)

I know I should have done the 12 PMP together but the gaps where short. I ran the first 2 miles warm down before meeting Coach Tommy who had came 16th overall. We had a good chat about my training and enjoyed the journey home with such a cool guy. Sub 60 next time.

Nice running, mad as a hatter, but nice running.

Me mad why is that?

• Advertisement

Me mad why is that?

The shouting, the banter, the kids race.......take your pick.

Mon 26/8

A.M

7 mi @ 7:55 MPM 155 HR AVG

My heart rate monitor went nuts a couple of times hitting 99% and I wasn't out of breath or running hard. Actually the first time I've seen it this high. A nice easy run from Tallaght got it a mile wrong as I got off the bus to run the rest of the way in thinking it was 6. I was only 10 minutes out of the time I normally get into work so it was great use of travel time.

P.M.

4 mi @ 8:30 MPM 139 HR AVG

Went for this one at lunch with the boss. He ran 1:30 or so faster then normal. Well pleased with his progress.

Evening

1 hour functional strength training down the GYM. Had one of my club mates showing him some exercises and we both enjoyed the session.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

My heart rate monitor went nuts a couple of times hitting 99% and I wasn't out of breath or running hard. Actually the first time I've seen it this high.

Thats fairly typical for Garmin HRM's, sometimes mine would be high as 220BPM at the start of a run

antomagoo wrote: »
    Thats fairly typical for Garmin HRM's, sometimes mine would be high as 220BPM at the start of a run

I noticed it going funny before but never like it did yesterday. How's the form man haven't seen you since R&R???

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

I noticed it going funny before but never like it did yesterday. How's the form man haven't seen you since R&R???

Form is getting better, being training steady enough since then but as per usual I'm restricted to when I can get out with the little one. Doing the Athlone Half & hoping it wont be a repeat of the disaster the R&R was :rolleyes:

antomagoo wrote: »
    Form is getting better, being training steady enough since then but as per usual I'm restricted to when I can get out with the little one. Doing the Athlone Half & hoping it wont be a repeat of the disaster the R&R was :rolleyes:

Nice one, Good luck at Athlone!

Tues 27/8

14 mi @ 7:45 MPM 150 HR AVG

Nice steady easy run with about half of it with a club mate. I did the first 6 and he joined for the other 8. I was surprised of the pace and effort level. Legs had been sore today but held off well until the last 2 miles. Some recovery miles tomorrow should help. 22 miles this Saturday which I will do as part of the Club Trackaton. 105 laps of a 400 m track to raise money for a community defibrillator ;)

6 mi @ 8:26 MPM 139 HR AVG

Recovery run on the canal with my boss. Ran on the grass when possible. The big 22 on Saturday will be on longest run ever.

1 hour gym session for strength training.

105 laps :eek: - further evidence of being mad as the proverbial hatter.

• Advertisement

105 laps :eek: - further evidence of being mad as the proverbial hatter.

420 turns on the left knee too, think I'm going to run backwards a little to mix it up! I'm actually only doing 88 the full Maraton is the 105. Its a community I'm using to get my 22 in!

Advertisement