Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing Deer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Thurs 29/8

LT Session

12 mi w/ 7 @ HMP 6:59 MPM 161 HR AVG (pace miles 6:51,6:37,6:48,6:42,6:51,6:39,6:26)

Was very tired today and wasn't expecting to do so well. I actually thought I done better during the last few miles. I guess running on tired legs is good training and running the above on tired legs I should be happy.

30 minutes stretching statistic and dynamic plus foam rolling. Been a while since I did the roller.

Fri 30/8

5 mi @ 7:52 MPM 149 HR AVG

Recovery run at lunch on my own. Was tired and sore after yesterdays session. Bit worried as a similar hip/glute issue as the last time but on the other side. At least I have experience with dealing with!

Session with ball, foam roller stretch and bed early. Compression on knee this is result of hip I guess.

Sat 31/8

22 mi @ 7:26 MPM 157 HR AVG

My rehab worked well but my right glute still has a niggle. At least I know how to deal with it from the recent left side occurrence. Was up really early for my fueling and to get around and help setup for the Trackaton. I done some deep massage with ball around both hips and glutes. I decided that if I didn't do the planned 22 I was pulling out of DCM. I had planned pace at 8 MPM.

Miles 1-11

The plan was 8 MPM but I just ran by feel and the first mile was 7:42. I planned to take water every 3 miles, gels at 10 and 17. This was race simulation after all. By mile 9 I was banging out 7:30s. I had been on my own up to about mile 11 and was joined by a runner doing the half who is at the same level as me. The first thing he said was your going to fast. I thought great after all I wanted DCM to be handy enough.

Miles 12-22

This half was better and I seemed to be getting faster. The 10 k was finished so the numbers on the track dropped greatly. The start times had been staggered for the full,half and 10k. It was informal with no timing. All to raise money for a community defibrillator. The last couple of miles I picked it up and was on my own again by the last few laps hitting 6:30 and then 5:50 for the last lap. I am over the moon with the result 15 minutes faster then planned. The glute seemed to cause minor discomfort now and again but it was a good reminder to keep the best possible form but all in all it held up well.

Weekly Milage 70 miles :):):):)

I love running by feel minimising the monitoring of the watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    Fri 30/8

5 mi @ 7:52 MPM 149 HR AVG

Recovery run at lunch on my own. Was tired and sore after yesterdays session. Bit worried as a similar hip/glute issue as the last time but on the other side. At least I have experience with dealing with!

Session with ball, foam roller stretch and bed early. Compression on knee this is result of hip I guess.

Sat 31/8

22 mi @ 7:26 MPM 157 HR AVG

My rehab worked well but my right glute still has a niggle. At least I know how to deal with it from the recent left side occurrence. Was up really early for my fueling and to get around and help setup for the Trackaton. I done some deep massage with ball around both hips and glutes. I decided that if I didn't do the planned 22 I was pulling out of DCM. I had planned pace at 8 MPM.

Miles 1-11

The plan was 8 MPM but I just ran by feel and the first mile was 7:42. I planned to take water every 3 miles, gels at 10 and 17. This was race simulation after all. By mile 9 I was banging out 7:30s. I had been on my own up to about mile 11 and was joined by a runner doing the half who is at the same level as me. The first thing he said was your going to fast. I thought great after all I wanted DCM to be handy enough.

Miles 12-22

This half was better and I seemed to be getting faster. The 10 k was finished so the numbers on the track dropped greatly. The start times had been staggered for the full,half and 10k. It was informal with no timing. All to raise money for a community defibrillator. The last couple of miles I picked it up and was on my own again by the last few laps hitting 6:30 and then 5:50 for the last lap. I am over the moon with the result 15 minutes faster then planned. The glute seemed to cause minor discomfort now and again but it was a good reminder to keep the best possible form but all in all it held up well.

Weekly Milage 70 miles :):):):)

I love running by feel minimising the monitoring of the watch.

Nice LSR. Looks a bit quick to me though! 6:30 is well faster than your current HM pace and 5:50 is faster than your 5k! The point of the LSR is not to see how fast you can go but to get time on your feet and to train your body to start dealing w/ glycogen deficit/ burn fat for energy, if you got too fast you won't get the intended training effect.

To me, running your LSR too fast is a recipe for two things 1) hurting yourself or 2) blowing up on marathon day (I say this from painful personal experience!) I reckon you'll get optimum benefit from keeping you LSR around 7:45 or so...all the same that run shows some great potential- you just have to learn to harness it! The fastest guys aren't always the ones burying themselves in sessions and hammering every day!

drquirky wrote: »
    Nice LSR. Looks a bit quick to me though! 6:30 is well faster than your current HM pace and 5:50 is faster than your 5k! The point of the LSR is not to see how fast you can go but to get time on your feet and to train your body to start dealing w/ glycogen deficit/ burn fat for energy, if you got too fast you won't get the intended training effect.

To me, running your LSR too fast is a recipe for two things 1) hurting yourself or 2) blowing up on marathon day (I say this from painful personal experience!) I reckon you'll get optimum benefit from keeping you LSR around 7:45 or so...all the same that run shows some great potential- you just have to learn to harness it! The fastest guys aren't always the ones burying themselves in sessions and hammering every day!

Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad you have taking the time to become familiar with my times and paces ;)

I thought it was fine very consistent for 20 miles at just above recovery pace. I must look over the heart rate data again. If I ran slower it would have been in recovery zone.

What you think of this;

http://runnow.eu/2013/09/training/the-workout-long-runs-with-stuff_1352

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad you have taking the time to become familiar with my times and paces ;)

I thought it was fine very consistent for 20 miles at just above recovery pace. I must look over the heart rate data again. If I ran slower it would have been in recovery zone.

What you think of this;

http://runnow.eu/2013/09/training/the-workout-long-runs-with-stuff_1352

If you think that 7:26 pace is "just out of your recovery zone" than fair enough. Sorry for bothering to provide feedback! Carry on...

• Advertisement

drquirky wrote: »
    If you think that 7:26 pace is "just out of your recovery zone" than fair enough. Sorry for bothering to provide feedback! Carry on...

I appreciate your feedback and welcome it. Sorry if it didn't seem that way.

Mon 2/9

8.3 mi @ 7:47 MPM 140 HR AVG

Went down the lakes to take in the 10k route that I'm doing Saturday. Strangely enough I've ran the route many times so I know it well. I've noticed my heart rate is improving taking on some advice which seems to be working. Hopefully muster up enough pace to get in under 40 minutes this Saturday. Legs didn't feel like they ran 22 miles on Saturday must be a sign my body has adapted more.

Tues 3/9

7 mi @ 7:38 MPM 145 HR AVG

I decided to reduce the MLR and run on grass to try get some bang out of my legs on Saturday for the Lakes 10k. My right hip/glute seems to be tight so have been doing some work on that.

Wend 4/9

5 mi @ 8:17 MPM 139 HR AVG

Strange waking on today feeling so fresh I am used to the tougher Tuesday efforts. Good signs I guess once I can keep myself out of hard zone until Saturday. Out with my boss for this one and he is getting faster by the week although this took it out of him today. Suited me though! Hip/glute still tight have been using the ball and roller to release and using activation exercise. I am certain it is the same as the right side where the glute just needs to activate again after working it hard.

Thurs 5/9

10 mi @ 8:24 MPM 136 HR AVG

Went for a Thai Massage early today I gave strict instructions that I needed to run later and not to touch my legs. I explain my hips and back are the priority. She wasn't long noticing that she had her working cut out and said "30 mins not enough for you". I agreed to one hour. These guys are great they really stand all over you twisting your legs in ways I didn't think was possible. I thought for a moment about telling her get away from my legs but she seemed to want to work down from the glute/hips never going past the knee. So much to not touching my legs. It's a work out getting this done but I was sure it would get me a few minutes of this 10 k on Saturday. Or at least make it easier. Anyway she really went to town on me and I feel it was a good session.

Now I had two reasons not to run fast. I took to the 10 k route with 2 club mates the banter was 90 and the mood was great. I'm actually getting excited now for this race on Saturday as its hosted by the club. I could feel the massage work in my hips and legs. My mind was tempting me to speed check but I was with 2 club mates and I was having fun. I've been doubting my ability to sub 40 but i can do it. We got back to the track and I decided to accelerate a little to see how fast I could get up. Completed the last mile in 5:50 pace the watch said I was hitting 5:15 by the end. Hopefully I can maintain 6:20 for the 10k to get me under 40 mins. Really easy run tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Thurs 5/9

10 mi @ 8:24 MPM 136 HR AVG

Went for a Thai Massage early today I gave strict instructions that I needed to run later and not to touch my legs. I explain my hips and back are the priority. She wasn't long noticing that she had her working cut out and said "30 mins not enough for you". I agreed to one hour. These guys are great they really stand all over you twisting your legs in ways I didn't think was possible. I thought for a moment about telling her get away from my legs but she seemed to want to work down from the glute/hips never going past the knee. So much to not touching my legs. It's a work out getting this done but I was sure it would get me a few minutes of this 10 k on Saturday. Or at least make it easier. Anyway she really went to town on me and I feel it was a good session.

Now I had two reasons not to run fast. I took to the 10 k route with 2 club mates the banter was 90 and the mood was great. I'm actually getting excited now for this race on Saturday as its hosted by the club. I could feel the massage work in my hips and legs. My mind was tempting me to speed check but I was with 2 club mates and I was having fun. I've been doubting my ability to sub 40 but i can do it. We got back to the track and I decided to accelerate a little to see how fast I could get up. Completed the last mile in 5:50 pace the watch said I was hitting 5:15 by the end. Hopefully I can maintain 6:20 for the 10k to get me under 40 mins. Really easy run tomorrow.

You're flying..... But I couldn't help but read the " 30 mins not enough for you" in a Chinese accent :D

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    You're flying..... But I couldn't help but read the " 30 mins not enough for you" in a Chinese accent :D

Cheers, it was intended to be read like that ;)

Stop man few other funny ones when she met the knots she had to work on! She must not get many runners with knots the size of "big rocks"! She said "your not normal" I said I'm told that a lot thanks!

Fri 6/9

5 mi @ 8:25 MPM 137 HR AVG

Out for a new run on the canal with the boss again. Great having him on board as its not a rush to get back as we can have mini meeting on the run which allows us grace time. We have had some very good productive meetings in all seriousness we have great brainstorming sessions. Anyway plan for this run was run easy run smooth and run relaxed. It was very enjoyable I can feel the benefit of the easy running and massage session and my own ball and roller work. I feel in good shape for tomorrow sub 40 here we come.

As my mother says don't be greedy and you'll be always surprised!

Sat 7/9

The Lakes 10k Race report The Lakeshore Striders Extended Edition

W/U 2 mi @ 6:50 MPM

6.2 mi @ 6:19 MPM 169 HR AVG (PB 39:26)

I was entered into the race a week before hand and I was delighted with the entry. What a coincidence that my race plan had a tune up race scheduled for this date. I had been modifying my plan a little lately but as it happened this race fell right on target with a planned scheduled 8-15k tune up race.

I woke the morning of the race to hear the rain and thought briefly that I would rather stay in bed. But them thoughts turned to fueling such as wheatgrass, beet root juices, muesli, banana and coffee. To be honest I do this everyday of the week but for races and long runs I double the amount of juice. It was great that I lived on the doorstep of the race and didn't have to get up at mad hours to prepare. I appreciate a few extra hours in bed as it is not often this happens.

I had agreed with club mate Neil that we would race together until a certain point. After that it was every man for himself. We had agreed a strategy the day before the race and it felt like a good way to share the workload. I had also spoke with Tommy who had been advising me during the week on how best to adjust my marathon training during the week before the 10k race. It is great that the club have Tommy coaching us, I hope he gets paid well.

I walked a mile to the start line Instead of jogging over as I had a feeling the warmup with Tommy wouldn't be far off my race pace. As I crossed the bridge the vibe I got was surreal. I always get overwhelmed by the views around the lakes but with the place buzzing and the music pumping it was truly amazing even epic. I knew all the stewards and car park attendants so it took me a while getting to registration. The whole race setup went like clockwork, in and out of registration very fast, toilets, the warmup crew and samba band. I met Tommy and we did a 2 mile warmup and some stretching. My favorite part of the race was being led to the start line by the samba band like warriors going into battle. The sight of Freedy Keron was great, everyone knows I love the Kenyans and this made it even more epic. I felt like a real runner apart from no club colours but that is coming. I shouted on Tommy just before the gun went off, I wanted him do well as he inspires me. I have to give credit to the ranking officer Shane for his militant skills which showed throughout the day. The logistics of such a race takes great skill to pull off. I only write observations of my experience and so far it was turning out to be my best club race ever. Well done to everyone working together to pull this event off.

Mile 1-3 splits (6:06,6:26,6:33)

Bang and we're off. Neil surfaced just before the gun went. I had been thinking I got stood up and had to race alone. It's hard not to go out a little bit quicker at the start as you are surged on by the momentum of 100's of runners behind you. Me and Neil started side by side with me pulling into the front early on to do the work letting Neil take on the role of passenger for the first bit. I thought to myself that he could take over at half way. Neil was reporting on the progress we had been making so far. I was having hip/glute issues even before the race but i was able to get the form just right to work around it. It's by no means a flat course but was very interesting, the difference running the route at 10k pace compared to running it a lot slower during training. The only issue at this point was the ground being a tad slippery and nearly losing our footing at the sharp turn at the half way point. Oh here comes the hill "everyone likes hills"! Read the nice signs which made me smile. Also the sign "we never said it was flat" was funny.

Mile 4-6.2 splits (6:28;6:23;610;5 min pace for the last bit)

I hit the hill in attack mode and started to pull away from Neil. We had agreed that after the hill it was game on to see who had it in them to get home first. I personally thought I could have ran a bit harder up until this point. So at the top of the hill I had the early lead so I went for it on the downside. I was pulling away now and reeling in the group ahead. I was feeling the downhill on the quads and my energy systems were really being taxed now. Two more miles and it would be over so all I had to do was hang in. I think it was mile 5 when I slowed and at that point Neil moved past me and I shouted well done. I knew Neil had it by now as I felt that I left my chance on the hill. I was hoping for another surge but it came to late.

The home straight came and I put the foot down which felt like sprinting. I got home in a time of 39m:26s finishing 30th overall 7th in my age category. Neil beat me by 20 seconds and he deserved it because he was much smarter with the hill so deserved the win.

The buzz at the finish line was great with MC AntoMagoo meeting me with a positive glance. I just walked straight by unable to talk and wanted some alone time. Once I got myself together I started to pick through grabbing the goodies. Then back to all the support at the finish line which was great. Thanks to Pat who noticed me tense on the home straight and reminded me to relax. I felt disappointed at the finish, although it had went like clock work. When my club mates asked me was I happy I said "should I be?". I felt it had been too easy and felt I let myself down, this only lasted a minute. I started to realized I just smashed my PB. You know so much happened at this point, I met and spoke with so many people I could write a report just on that. But thanks to everyone for being so supportive such as Edel Bryne for the coffee, Antomagoo, Neil, Tommy, Pat, Darren, Edel Evans, Ciaran, Ger, Paul, and all of the club members I met whom I promise to learn their names. Una it's your fault you asked for a blog so I did an extended version since it was the club race.

Finally I decided to scrap the post race 10 mile run to spend the time with the family instead. I went to the race after party that night for an hour for some post race banter which was great. But miss wolf is unwell and I had to get home. I am doing 1 more 10k just before taper starts and the last half is the race series. I feel I'm ready to run my first marathon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Congrats on the PB. Good to see you racing your club mate rather than a pure time trial. That's what the sport is all about. Best of luck with the marathon but keep the eyes on the main prize. After the marathon get stuck into winter training and start developing that ridiculous untapped 400m potential. Do that and you can forget about racing the Neils of this world and instead look towards doing battle with Gregan & co.

Thank you. Was much better than racing the time! Oh I have the buy some winter clothes soon it is already getting cold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Oh I have the buy some winter clothes soon it is already getting cold!

:rolleyes:
    Well that settles it - you must be a sprinter!

:)

Mon 9/9

14 mi @ 7:25 MPM 165 HR AVG 841 ft Elevation gain 135 ft loss

I need this run like a fish needs water. I'm under a bit of stress at work so needed to let the hair down and turn a long run into a hill workout. I ran nearly all the way home from the inner city. Oh that feeling when you get up the n81 with the view over Dublin. Hope my effort will benifit me in the race series half marathon.

Followed up with a cool down walking the dog with some dynamic stretching. Then 40 minutes of core work and stretching.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Great run on Saturday, even if you did look like a soaking wet skinnier version of superman warming up :D

antomagoo wrote: »
    Great run on Saturday, even if you did look like a soaking wet skinnier version of superman warming up :D

Ha forgot about that ;) I say it was a sight alright!

• Advertisement

Tues 10/9

TRACK SESSION

9 mi @ 7:53 MPM 148 HR AVG w/ 5 x 600 @ 5 k pace with 400 recovery jog

3 mi w/u

5 x 600 (pace 5:22,5:30,5:24,5:25,5:20)

2.8 mi w/d

After yesterday's spur of the moment workout I didn't feel I could hit the pace. I went out a little fast adjusting as best I could in the first one. Seemed to settle in nicely paying attention to running controlled and relaxed for the remaining ones. The more I relaxed the faster I got and the easy it was. Only issue was that the pace was about 30 seconds faster then my last 5 k pace. Ideally I would would like run 5 k around this pace when the time arises.

Wend 11/9

A.M

7 mi w/ 6 x 150m strides @ 7:50 MPM AVG 154 HR AVG (Stride pace 5:21,5:03,4:54,4:23,4:42,4:28)

Woke up this morning with a sore throat, chest and congestion. I took some extra super juice (wheatgrass) and hoped it would pass. Got off the bus at Tallaght this time trying to judge the distance to leave enough of the planned 6 miles for the strides. I got it a mile wrong again. I really don't like carrying the bag and had to wear a light jacket for the rain also and felt a bit off. Even with leave clothes in work the bag still annoyed me. The best part was the strides, I hope some if the guru's here can tell me if i done them right. I thought the lane beside work was bang on 100 but was between 130-150 meters depending on the people traffic. I have improved greatly I remember these used to kill me but between yesterday and today I am pleased. I accelerated, held relaxed and decelerated I.e. 30/70/30. Not an all out effort.

Now as the morning went on I felt worse and had to hit the road at 3:30 to go home. I had 3 miles and a gym session to complete but decided to call it. Better safe then sorry, home for a homemade stew and some supper juices. Got a coffee and chocolate muffin on the way home for comfort. It takes a lot for me to give in and not run but hay better let my body recover. Good night sleep hopefully will set me right.

Thurs 12/9

Sick day

Watched 4 minute mile about Rodger Banister and a few other running flicks. Emotional!

Fri 13/9

A.M.

44 minutes @ 80-91% effort on the treadmill after the doctors. I'm back to work Monday. Felt horrible this morning before the doctors and was nearly pulling out of this but it sweated the cold away.

P.M.

13 mi @ 7:19 MPM 151 HR AVG

I'm recovered already and my heart rate seems to be improving again. It maybe better running economy resulting in lower heart rate. I've been trying to run more relaxed and running by feel and enjoy it. Few PMP miles in here and all.

Sat 14/9

18 mi @ 8:25 MPM 143 HR AVG

This run hurt. That is all.

Mon 16/9

16 mi @ 7:48 MPM 154 AVG HR (842 ft gain 180ft loss)

Decided to run home on my favourite hill run. I need to find a different side of the pass with a similar downside to balance the run. I ran it much slower then last week with it being the week of the Dublin half. I'm planning on no taper and run the race as best I can on the day. Only one more 10k then no races until the 28th of October!

I have developed a glute issue that I had on my right side that made Clontarf difficult. Hopefully with my experience of dealing with the other side I can treat it.

Just noticed I've done roughly 1400 miles in 2013 so far. Happy days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Just noticed I've done roughly 1400 miles in 2013 so far. Happy days!

Sitting on 1,333 miles myself this morning...

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Sitting on 1,333 miles myself this morning...

Good man! Have to say it was a great feeling even better then all my PB's.

Tues 17/9

9 mi w/ 6 x 1000+2:30 jog recovery

2.5 mi w/u

6 x 1000 (Time 3:25, 3:41, 3:41, 3:43, 3:41, 3:34)

2.5 mi w/d

This was a mental training session and a test in many other ways too. I was unsure today if my glute was going to give up or continue recovery with my self treating. During the first rep I wanted to go home. It was raining since leaving the house and at the start of the intervals it lashed and the back lane was a bad headwind. I was totally fighting with my mind to stay or go. After the first rep my jacket came off as its not rain proof and was getting heavy. After the second my top came off and all that remained was HRM, shorts and runners. I was going to go home after the 3,4,5 reps and decided to finish. It was one of my tougher mental battles with running. I started a little fast and adjusted to suit the conditions and to allow me keep relaxed and maintain form. Looking back now it was a good session and was happy I could finish. A few pics will most likely surface with me topless in the rain doing intervals.

Will be interesting to see what the race series half will be like Saturday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Nicely done in crappy conditions. Seems like you were just waiting for a chance to whip of the top though :)

Advertisement