Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing Deer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Cheers! It felt good alright but all the women left the track ;)

Wend 18/9

A.M.

6 mi @ 7:39 MPM (forgot heart rate monitor)

Got off the bus at Tallaght and ran to work. Really wanted to keep it easy and just relaxed on down into the city. I could really feel my body in need of some recovery to kept relaxed and let gravity do most of the work. Love running early in the morning.

P.M.

4 mi @ 7:45 MPM (forgot heart rate monitor)

Left the run until I was going home from work. I had to get a chicken breast and chocolate in addition to my normal lunch. I really felt wiped out. I took on lots of water and chia seeds to get a boost. I was initially thought I would have to leave the run but the extra food worked. Will relax and watch my little fella train and go to bed early. Really interested how the half on Saturday will go. Will take it easy with the pace until then.

7 mi @ 8:04 MPM 142 HR AVG

Plan called for 12 miles but adjusted down because of race series half on Saturday. Will run an easy 5 in the morning and chill till Saturday. Last half until Dublin marathon and just one more 10k on the 5th Oct. Couple more session then until taper!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    7 mi @ 8:04 MPM 142 HR AVG

Plan called for 12 miles but adjusted down because of race series half on Saturday. Will run an easy 5 in the morning and chill till Saturday. Last half until Dublin marathon and just one more 10k on the 5th Oct. Couple more session then until taper!!!

What's the target for the half..... And will your marathon target depend on result of same???

Gavlor wrote: »
    What's the target for the half..... And will your marathon target depend on result of same???

1:28 or below. But marathon pace for sub 3 will do! No target still sub 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

1:28 or below.

Looking for much the same time, I might see you around the course tomorrow.

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Looking for much the same time, I might see you around the course tomorrow.

Yeah we'll chat hopefully!

Fri 20/9

5 mi @ 7:30 MPM 153 HR AVG (73-74% Max HR)

Nice easy one down from Tallaght to work. Hopefully my legs will perform in the half tomorrow.

Yeah we'll chat hopefully!

Well how you get on ?

Well how you get on ?

1:29 but it was horrible to see all the runners struggling today and so sad to have a death in the race. I knew early on to take it handy as during the warm up felt the air was very tick and warm.

I didn't see the chap but have heard. Then someone was killed on a bike on the way home. I had to do some heavy bush cutting/gardening on the farm to take my mind off today's drama. Not very good day one of my friends was hurt during the race so couldn't even run after wards as had to help her. Not a good day.

How are you?

• Advertisement

1:29 but it was horrible to see all the runners struggling today and so sad to have a death in the race. I knew early on to take it handy as during the warm up felt the air was very tick and warm.

I didn't see the chap but have heard. Then someone was killed on a bike on the way home. I had to do some heavy bush cutting/gardening on the farm to take my mind off today's drama. Not very good day one of my friends was hurt during the race so couldn't even run after wards as had to help her. Not a good day.

How are you?

Yeah, hard day out there, ran well until mile 11, then fell of the pace badly. Finished in 1:27 but close to collapse after the finish. The tank was emptied today...

Hard day at the office...

Probably see you for the big one...

Yeah, hard day out there, ran well until mile 11, then fell of the pace badly. Finished in 1:27 but close to collapse after the finish. The tank was emptied today...

Hard day at the office...

Probably see you for the big one...

Glad your ok! I ran well I guess didn't race it. Looking at my pictures I looked a bit to comfortable. Looking forward to the big one! Hope to see you!

Sat 21/9

Dublin Half Marathon (1:29:32)

3 mi /wu

13.25 @ 6:46 AVG 169 HR AVG

1-3 (6:23,6:52,6:44)

This was a PMP run and went into it during a 68 mile week to try simulate second half of marathon. This week is one of the most intense training weeks I can remember to date. Started a few rows ahead of the 1:30 pacers. Today I was amongst the largest number of runners which was to be my biggest race yet. During the warm up I noticed the air to be thick and it was a bit warm. I started of a little quick for sub 1:30 but it didn't tax me that much. I found it a bit tight running amongst so many runners. I was expecting a water station at mile 3 bit still no sign of it.

4-6 (6:48, 6:51, 6:51)

I got to the water station and poured most of the water over my head. I didn't really realize it here but it was getting really warm. I don't like the footpaths and felt a little edgey as it is a dangerous bottleneck. I noticed a lot of heavy breathers and people dropping off pace early. I was gaining a good few places coming through farmliegh I'm nearly sure I seen a walker here. I seemed to be cruzing at the half way point.

7-9 (6:36, 6:48, 6:44)

Wouldn't it be great to run the entire race on similar surface to chesterfield avenue. I remember at the end of this section I seen a runner come in the opposite direction walking not looking happy at all. Guess he just have up because of an injury.

10-13.1 (6:33, 7:12, 6:46, 7:02, I ran the last stretch at about 5 min pace.)

Just before coming in the island bridge gate some runners came running in the opposite direction. I don't know if this had anything to do with trouble ahead. I didn't see anyone on the ground after this point but an ambulance did speed by just after KielyUnusual caught up with me. I just relaxed for the last few miles as my heart rate was reading very high. I was confused as I felt like I could give it more but decided to get home in good shape. Was nice to chat with KielyUnusual for a short time before pushing on during the home stretch. He helped me with some mind madness. This is the first time I felt I didn't race a half marathon. I think I need a new heart rate monitor as it reports high rates when it does match to how I feel. I didn't look at the watch much just the couple of times during the second half to check heart rate. It played tricks with my mind making me think I was wrecked but I wasn't.

I was meant to run a few miles after but a friend who was running had to pull out and needed my help.

I only found out late that evening about all the runners in trouble. I can't believe someone died. I normally don't run Sundays but ran 6 mile in my blue tieshirt as a mark of respect for the guy that died.

Sun 22/9

6 mi @ 7:57 MPM 148 HR AVG

As said above I don't run on Sundays but felt like running out if respect for the guy who died during the race yesterday. I wore my tieshirt I got at the race and said a prayer.

Mon 23/9

14 mi @ 7:46 MPM 149 HR AVG (Elevation 150 gain 810 loss)

Ran into work today instead of home just to get the downhill into the legs instead of the up hill. As you can see there is no balance. I ran on empty which was out of convenience rather than choice, just some water. I also stopped off for some water at mile 10 also. Really enjoyed this run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Great weeks running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Wolf- I'm really not trying to be a prick here but would you not think of possibly revising the sub-3 target? Just think w/ your PB's it could be a serious stretch. I've suffered a blow up in a marathon and its not fun and am worried you're cruising for the same thing. To run sub 3 you really wanna be looking at a sub 38 10k and a 1:25 or below HM- neither of which it seems you've been particularly close to no?

drquirky wrote: »
    Wolf- I'm really not trying to be a prick here but would you not think of possibly revising the sub-3 target? Just think w/ your PB's it could be a serious stretch. I've suffered a blow up in a marathon and its not fun and am worried you're cruising for the same thing. To run sub 3 you really wanna be looking at a sub 38 10k and a 1:25 or below HM- neither of which it seems you've been particularly close to no?

Your right I will most likely run sub 3:15 ;)

I respect your feedback! Maybe next year :)

Your right I will most likely run sub 3:15 ;)

I respect your feedback! Maybe next year :)

TBH I'd imagine sub 3:10 would be well within your reach as you're going really well right now. I just say this stuff from experience as I had a 1:22 HM going into DCM but blew up horribly and painfully for a 3:16! If I'd gone out more sensibly I'd have run a better time and enjoyed the day.

drquirky wrote: »
    TBH I'd imagine sub 3:10 would be well within your reach as you're going really well right now. I just say this stuff from experience as I had a 1:22 HM going into DCM but blew up horribly and painfully for a 3:16! If I'd gone out more sensibly I'd have run a better time and enjoyed the day.

I'm going to respect the marathon beast. I have been trying to get to know what my limits are so hopefully I can just push enough to get me across the line in good shape. I have to go to work the following day so I need to be sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I'm going to respect the marathon beast. I have been trying to get to know what my limits are so hopefully I can just push enough to get me across the line in good shape. I have to go to work the following day so I need to be sensible.

Got a good laugh off that! :) You are some man wolf I'll give you that but being honest I agree with drquirky, it is a very big stretch to pretty much run your Half PB (which you got a month ago) twice. Could be a horrible experience for you...

Looks like just in time this thread has popped up. Would be a good reference for you in the coming days.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057046076

But best of luck whatever you decide!

blockic wrote: »
    Got a good laugh off that! :) You are some man wolf I'll give you that but being honest I agree with drquirky, it is a very big stretch to pretty much run your Half PB (which you got a month ago) twice. Could be a horrible experience for you...

Looks like just in time this thread has popped up. Would be a good reference for you in the coming days.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057046076

But best of luck whatever you decide!

Cheers fella I'm taking it all on board.

• Advertisement

Mon 23/9
    14 mi @ 7:46 MPM 149 HR AVG (Elevation 150 gain 810 loss)

Ran into work today instead of home just to get the downhill into the legs instead of the up hill. As you can see there is no balance. I ran on empty which was out of convenience rather than choice, just some water. I also stopped off for some water at mile 10 also. Really enjoyed this run.

1 hour gym core and functional strength

Tues 24/9

9.7 mi /w 5 x 600 @ 5 k pace

2.5 mi w/u

6 x 600 (time splits 2:03,2:00,2:02, 2:03,1:59) 90 second recovery

4.7 mi w/d

Was a nice evening compared to last week. Was hitting 5:30ish pace which I want to develop as my next 5 k pace. Last 5k race was 6 min pace avg but I think I can hit the 5:30 avg next time. I was reaching about 90% and was trying to keep relaxed and not going full throttle. Only one more session next week of 1200's which will be my hardest set yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Nice session. I did almost the same today, but you have me licked by a couple of seconds in each rep. Where'd you run them?

I have a 400 meter gravel track at the back of my house. Around football pitches so handy to warmup on grass etc

Tues 24/9

Last 5k race was 6 min pace avg but I think I can hit the 5:30 avg next time.

You do understand the way training works, right? Distance running is about patience. You don't go from 6 m/m for 5k to 5:30 m/m over the course of one race. It literally doesn't work that way. I'd love my 5k pace to be 5:00 m/m but if I went out and ran a small number of short reps w/ lots of rest at that pace it wouldn't really serve any purpose.

I'd agree if my last race was weeks between the next. My last 5k was 3 months ago next one will likely be 2014. Does that count for patience?

My plan after marathon is increase the rep length while reducing rest. My rest is jogging by the way so my heart rate doesn't drop to much.

Do you want to coach me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

I'd agree if my last race was weeks between the next. My last 5k was 3 months ago next one will likely be 2014. Does that count for patience?

My plan after marathon is increase the rep length while reducing rest. My rest is jogging by the way so my heart rate doesn't drop to much.

Do you want to coach me?

Hey Wolf - I was going to post something similar to DrQ.

You got bags of potential, that's plain to see - just need to focus it on the right aspects.
    I'm learning so much this training cycle and I'm at it about 3 years.

30 seconds is a lot to change in a 5k time - but to be thinking about it during Marathon training :confused: - bit of focus on the last few weeks of the Marathon stuff then nail your 5k's.

& btw - you should be privileged Quirky is giving you advice - doesn't do it for everyone - he must like you ;)

Respect lads! And thanks for the comments!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Just to echo what RK and DrQ have said and make one other point/ advise

When you are doing these reps @5k pace you should base it on your current 5k pace NOT the 5k pace you want to be racing in 2014.

Over time the 5k pace will gradualy come down naturally through proper training. You race your next 5k, use the time/pace from that 5k for your next phase of 5k pace sessions etc. etc.

Same goes for all distances.

Point accepted and will run them next week at 6 MPM.

• Advertisement

\
    Do you want to coach me?

Hehehehe I'd wreck your head....

Advertisement