Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing Deer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I might be playing Devil's advocate here but I don't think there was any problem in the session itself, the problem was in saying that it was at 5k pace. If you are doing a 6 X 600 session w/ 90s recovery, then doing them at 5k pace would probably seem a little easy. Perhaps something between 1 mile and 3k pace might be most appropriate. You're splits seem consistent across the 6 reps so that is the main thing. If can't hit the pace on the last few, only then would I consider doing them at a slower pace next time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

I might be playing Devil's advocate here but I don't think there was any problem in the session itself, the problem was in saying that it was at 5k pace. If you are doing a 6 X 600 session w/ 90s recovery, then doing them at 5k pace would probably seem a little easy. Perhaps something between 1 mile and 3k pace might be most appropriate. You're splits seem consistent across the 6 reps so that is the main thing. If can't hit the pace on the last few, only then would I consider doing them at a slower pace next time round.

Yeah I totally agree w/ that KU. That being said I wouldn't really be running reps at mile/ 3k pace in a marathon training plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

drquirky wrote: »
    Yeah I totally agree w/ that KU. That being said I wouldn't really be running reps at mile/ 3k pace in a marathon training plan.

That's interesting. A couple of plans I have come across would have had X *800 meters every few weeks. I remember reading on boards a while back that there is no real benefit. Is that the general consensus??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Gavlor wrote: »
    That's interesting. A couple of plans I have come across would have had X *800 meters every few weeks. I remember reading on boards a while back that there is no real benefit. Is that the general consensus??

I don't know. I enjoy the track sessions so I always kept them in as part of the plan. I can't see them doing any harm. I didn't run them quite as hard as I would now because I had a tough MP run two days later. Marathon plans can be quite long so anything to bring in a bit of variety is good in my book. You can always do them a little slower with active recoveries and that would make them a little more marathon specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

I don't know. I enjoy the track sessions so I always kept them in as part of the plan. I can't see them doing any harm. I didn't run them quite as hard as I would now because I had a tough MP run two days later. Marathon plans can be quite long so anything to bring in a bit of variety is good in my book. You can always do them a little slower with active recoveries and that would make them a little more marathon specific.

Yeah I really enjoy them. I had been missing them and the plan has then in the last 4 weeks before taper. It has one session of 3 x 1600 @ 5 k pace and a tune up race during the 3 week taper. All the session have active recovery so it is intense which I enjoy.

• Advertisement

Wend 25/9

5 mi @ 8:01 MPM 154 HR AVG

I needed this my legs are a little sore. I didn't sleep last night due to work related stress so don't think I got enough repair! Luckily I have another 6 miler tomorrow just chill again. My main focus is hitting which I plan to take it handy. I checked my resting heart rate and it is 38 first thing this morning.

1 hour gym core and functional strength.

Twice this week, getting energy levels good again to get these session done.

Thurs 26/9

A.M

5.3 mi @ 7:59 MPM 149 HR AVG

My legs are sore after the gym last night. Might have over done it. I have a 8-15k tune up race scheduled tomorrow but will put off until Punchestown next Sat! Will do two recovery runs instead.

P.M

50 min foam roller, stretch and flexibility

Kids to bed and the other half was at boot camp. Hopefully that makes life easier.

Fri 27/9

A.M.

5 mi @ 7:43 MPM 155 HR AVG

Got off the bus and ran 5 miles in. Heart rate monitor goes berserk for the first mile. Either is fecked or I am.

P.M.

5 mi @ 6:54 MPM 156 HR AVG

Met up with Tommy after work for a run around the lakes. We had a good chat even with the hills around the lakes 10k route. I had washed me heart rate monitor under the tap. So either my heart rate is better at night or I was just in good shape at the time. Or maybe my sweat was embedded in the heart rate strap and was giving a bad read. We really kicked on for the last mile was fun! If I can run like that for another 21 miles in October happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    I'd agree if my last race was weeks between the next. My last 5k was 3 months ago next one will likely be 2014. Does that count for patience?

My plan after marathon is increase the rep length while reducing rest. My rest is jogging by the way so my heart rate doesn't drop to much.

Do you want to coach me?

So no chance we will see you bettering that stunning 55 second one lap debut?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    So no chance we will see you bettering that stunning 55 second one lap debut?

I will be doing the 10 round numbers next year. Will see what happens then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I will be doing the 10 round numbers next year. Will see what happens then.

If I could stroll a 55 on an oversized dirt track at the end of session I would want to cultivate such raw speed, rather than running slow (in comparison) half marathon times. But in the end of the day it's your talent to waste.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    If I could stroll a 55 on an oversized dirt track at the end of session I would want to cultivate such raw speed, rather than running slow (in comparison) half marathon times. But in the end of the day it's your talent to waste.

Ok when I get in 60 min half marathon shape I'll run the last 400 sub 55!

Ok when I get in 60 min half marathon shape I'll run the last 400 sub 55!

:D

Sat 28/9

1 hour foam roller and flexibility

Had planned to run 17 but put it off till Sunday because my sons football has started again. I don't want to miss to many games. Had also planned to get new runners as my other two pair in rotation the Kinvara 3 are at transition stage. Going to give the business to Ashtown beside PP. Looking to get the new Kinvara 4 as can't get the 3's.

Will get a lift over to PP and run back 17 miles. Any thoughts on the Kinvara 4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Any thoughts on the Kinvara 4?

I wear em and wore the 3's as well. I can't tell the difference. Good shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Any thoughts on the Kinvara 4?

Going to get a pair myself in next couple of weeks. Tried them on & felt really comfortable so I imagine that can only be a good thing especially coming from wearing the 3

Cheers lads going to get a couple of pairs to rotate as this worked well with the 3's.

Sun 29/9

17 mi @ 7:29 MPM 160 HR AVG 922 ft elevation gain 317 loss

Got a lift to Amphibian King in Ashtown for new runners. Thanks to Kevin who spent a good bit of time getting me the right runners. Came away with the Cloudsurfer and Mizuno wave musha 5. My friend took my stuff home and I ran 17 mile back and then got picked up. That hill at Saggart at mile 14 is tough. Going to be winding down after next Saturday before DCM. Can't wait to try out my new runners.

Mon 30/9

Physio appointment. Tight TFL and IT band on the right side. Lots of work on it and some dry needling. He said to keep up the stretches and work with sliotar.

Tues 1/10

10 mi /w 5 x 1200 @ 5k pace with 400 active recovery

3 mi w/u

5 x 1200 (time/pace 4:25/5:56, 4:24/5:55, 4:26/5:58, 4:27/5:59, 4:21/5:51) + 400 active recovery

2.2 mi w/d

Rain, wind, new runners and tight IT Band. Really this should be moved to the stupid thread. Ah no in fairness I was strong throughout regardless of the elements. My right TFL etc tightened near the end of the session but it was ok. I wore my new cloud surfers during warm up and cool down switching to the Mizuno wave 5 for the intervals. This is the last session before DCM other than the 10k on Saturday, then it is all engines go to get my body in good condition and let all my niggles go away. I'm going to run the 20 miler on Sunday much slower then normal and go into recovery mode if I make it to Monday in one peace. TAPER!

Note on the runners. Felt some extra spring in push off with the cloud surfers. And I managed to stay at my comfortable 5k pace with the wave 5.

Nice session but mind those niggles. I'm pretty sure the Physio wouldn't have recommended a session like that on the back of your rub!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Yup, did the same session in the wind and rain today. Glad it's over :) Roll on taper!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Nice session but mind those niggles. I'm pretty sure the Physio wouldn't have recommended a session like that on the back of your rub!

He said take it easy so I ran 30 seconds per mile slower. It's the same problem I had on my leg side during Clontarf. It's at the end of it now i'm sure. I'm doing the same rehab with it that worked before. Hopefully it hits the road during taper if not it will be sub 4 hour!!

cianc wrote: »
    Yup, did the same session in the wind and rain today. Glad it's over :) Roll on taper!

Good man! :) I'm going for an easier taper than the plan. I say I will run a lot less than what is in the plan during final week.

Wend 2/10

A.M

Doctors for tests and ECG

Going the hospital tomorrow to get some bloods and eco/ultra sound job to check my heart further. They think I just have a very strong heart but want to check further to be certain. This came about due to the tragic death at the Dublin half.

One hour foam roller and stretch with sliotar.

P.M

Treadmill

12.4 mi @ 7:38 MPM 141 HR AVG

Took me 40 minutes to get into a good rhythm but my leg loosened out nicely. Decided to take a break from the road and the rain. Kept the effort level under recovery until the last 5 k and upped a little. I'd of wanted a tieshirt and medal to run in that rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Howya wolf, can I ask what kind of work you do in the hour of foam rolling ans stretching..just interested as mine only lasts about 20 mins! :o

blockic wrote: »
    Howya wolf, can I ask what kind of work you do in the hour of foam rolling ans stretching..just interested as mine only lasts about 20 mins! :o

5 mins on each IT Band and TFL
    5 mins on each quad group and hip flexor
    5 mins on each glute group
    5 mins on each ham string group
    5 mins on each calf group

I use sliotar to go where no foam roller has gone before. No not there.

I roll slowly stopping at trigger points. I stretch each group some multiples with a different stretch. Sometimes I do 50% of the duration. But since I'm at peak and about to taper we got to get in top shape!

If you want more detail ask away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Nice one, this stuff really stands to ya come the big day IMO, must get more focused when doing it as I can tend to get lazy!

blockic wrote: »
    Nice one, this stuff really stands to ya come the big day IMO, must get more focused when doing it as I can tend to get lazy!

I have a roller and sliotar at work and home. Your right it is important part of training just as is fueling. Sure you can watch Telly and post on boards while doing it. :)

Thurs 3/10

Hospital for Blood work, ECG, Chest X-ray and Echo Cardiogram. I have a 24 heart monitor on until tomorrow. Depending on the results of Echo test may need stress test and Cat scan.

Bloods came back fine other than indications of muscle damage but nothing to worry about. My heart beat is stronger than normal and they are looking at this further. No running today, and tomorrow will be third day off work. Hopefully be cleared to race on Saturday. I have a bit of a cold and the above is a tad stressful as I tend to expect the worse.

• Advertisement

pac_man wrote: »
    What way did you organise the test thewolf_ie, does your GP just refer you to the local hospital? I want to get them tests done but my GP is useless so i need to be explicit in asking him what I want.

Yes I went through my GP. Tell the GP you want to check to see if your heart is fit for running. Resting ECG and stress ECG, ECHOcardiogram, 24 hour heart trace and full bloods to check anything that indicates heart. See with me they detected something on the ECG at the GP and is why I got the battery of tests. Hope this helps.

Advertisement