Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should your empoyer provide work uniform?

Options
  • 26-04-2013 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I work for a certain big chain shop and was recently told that we need to get new work uniforms i.e t-shirts and fleeces with the shop logo on it. Now that's all well and good getting new gear but my problem is they expect us to pay for it out of our own money. So I was just wondering does anybody now if the employer or employee has to stump up for their own uniform?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/pay_and_employment/pay_slip.html

Where your employer suffers loss through your fault, for example breakages or till shortages or your employer supplies a service as part of the job, for example, a uniform, deductions may be allowed. In these cases a deduction (or payment by the employee) is only allowed where:

•It is allowed for in your contract
    •It is fair and reasonable
    •You have received a written notice of the deduction - a full week's notice if the deduction arises from your mistake
    •The amount of the deduction does not exceed the loss or cost of the service
    •The deduction takes place within 6 months of the loss/cost occurring

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Mike hunt Jnr

Thanks for that info but the situation I'm in is that all staff have proper uniforms right now bought by the employer but that was bought a year or more ago and now the shop we work has some over seas visitors coming to look around and the empoyer wants everything looking great so is forcing the staff to get new uniforms and pay for it themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Thanks for that info but the situation I'm in is that all staff have proper uniforms right now bought by the employer but that was bought a year or more ago and now the shop we work has some over seas visitors coming to look around and the empoyer wants everything looking great so is forcing the staff to get new uniforms and pay for it themselves

I would refer to the above again and ask is it allowed for in your contract? I can see it being not 'fair and reasonable' but you'd have to take it up with the management.

Advertisement