Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car accident, liability admitted by other party

• 26-04-2013 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭

As in title, was in an accident, liability denied by other party initially but after some time other party insurance company admitted 100% liability and want to have my car repaired (fine by me). They have some guy (not sure of his title) coming out and he wants to see my vehicle registration cert. Now, my paperwork is 100% up to date but I'm confused why they even want to see it?

Anyone have any idea?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,138 ✭✭✭✭listermint

omahaid wrote: »
    As in title, was in an accident, liability denied by other party initially but after some time other party insurance company admitted 100% liability and want to have my car repaired (fine by me). They have some guy (not sure of his title) coming out and he wants to see my vehicle registration cert. Now, my paperwork is 100% up to date but I'm confused why they even want to see it?

Anyone have any idea?

Procedure, they need to confirm chassis numbers ownership etc etc.

Its run of the mill stuff for assessors (which is what this guy is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Ya, that's probably it, I'm just incredibly distrustful of insurance companies :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,138 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Dont be, Just make sure that all the boxes are ticked and the work is done at an acreddited repair centre and completed to your standards.

Make sure to keep all documentation of repairs, because it will be vital come sale time. Unfortunately though depending on type of accident it should be listed on the insurance database as accident repaired. So your documentation of repairs will be required should you wish to sell.

Does having the car marked as accident repaired have an impact on my insurance or resale value? I imagine if it does I get zero compensation for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Does having the car marked as accident repaired have an impact on my insurance or resale value? I imagine if it does I get zero compensation for this?

Yeah, your entitled to 10% of market value of the car to cover depreciation by virtue of accident.

Also, be sure to take plenty of pictures both before and after repair work. This will be helpful when you go to sell on the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Anyone have any idea?

Make sure you check his/her photo I.D. from Insurance company before showing any documents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

I'm in the same position .... accident at the start of the year - other side admitted liability a few days ago...by which time the car which was scratched is now suffering rust !

I had 2 options:
    1. go through my own insurance - which means they talk to the other parties insurance and I pay an excess fee of €250ish
    2. contact the other parties insurance and claim off them.

basically this could take weeks/months more and I'm very annoyed and will be seeking redress from the other insurers for the complete snails pace and refusal to accept liability when there really was no question.

insurance system in this country is a shambles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Also be aware that you do not have to have the car repaired by the other insurance company's repairers.
    You can insist on having the cheque sent directly to yourself (or your solicitor).

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Also be aware that you do not have to have the car repaired by the other insurance company's repairers.
    You can insist on having the cheque sent directly to yourself (or your solicitor).

I wasn't aware receiving a cheque was an option?

Of course it is.
    You are entitled to be compensated for the damage caused to your vehicle.
    That does not mean that you have to use that money to repair your car, simply that you receive the money to return the car to it's original state (if you so desire).
    It's entirely up to you if you want to sell (or trade-in) the car in it's current state.
    Once the other party's insurance company has agreed on a figure then you can do as you like with the money.....all you are getting is the monetary figure agreed to fix your car, what you do with it is up to yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Feeder

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Of course it is.
    You are entitled to be compensated for the damage caused to your vehicle.
    That does not mean that you have to use that money to repair your car, simply that you receive the money to return the car to it's original state (if you so desire).
    It's entirely up to you if you want to sell (or trade-in) the car in it's current state.
    Once the other party's insurance company has agreed on a figure then you can do as you like with the money.....all you are getting is the monetary figure agreed to fix your car, what you do with it is up to yourself.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but just been involved in my 1st accident myself and was reading up about accident depreciation.

In my case the 3rd party is fully liable and my car was an 05 BMW 520d, does anyone know if its strictly 10% for up to 4 years old only ?

Would that be included in the figure quoted above ? i.e. the cost of repair plus the compensation for accident depreciation on the car.

No quotes as of yet for damage so hard to say what the cost will be, definitely 2 new doors anyway.

We had a smallish claim in for a '94 Mini (3 years ago) and the depreciation figure was for 10% of the repair cost.
    So it was definitely 'claimable' on a 16 year old car.
    TBH we weren't even aware that we could add this to the claim until our solicitor informed us (it covered his bill for sending out a letter or two to speed things up :)).

The guy I am dealing with from his insurance is suggesting its only for -08 onwards.

Seems like this only gets sorted when solicitors get involved. :mad:

Frankly you will get nowhere on your own....the other driver's insurer will stall (and stall, and stall) forever.
    Some here may suggest that a Loss Adjuster can do the same job for slightly less money, but ultimately a solicitor can pretty much book a court date the day you talk to him/her.
    It doesn't have to go to court, just helps to speed things up when it is mentioned.
    With regard to the incident I mentioned (the Mini) we spent 6 or 7 weeks ringing the other insurers almost daily. Every time we just got yet another stupid excuse, even down to the insurers saying they couldn't pay out without permission from the other driver :rolleyes:.
    We spent 20 minutes with our solicitor, he sent them a letter, booked a court date 2 months away (which can be cancelled anytime), and we got a cheque within 3 days.
    The solicitor charged us €120 but this was more than covered by the extra items he added to the claim (which we were not claiming for originally).

edit; I see you are in Limerick. If you want me to PM you with the name of the solicitor I used (small operation, but without doubt one of the most honest in Limerick) just let me know.

Yeah, that makes sense to go that route so and get things sorted ASAP.

Please do send on the details and I will ring them tomorrow

Advertisement