Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Codes for home alarm

Options
  • 26-04-2013 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

I need to reset the code on my alarm and change the battery.

Called the company last week and they have advised that it will cost 100 euros.

I have booked them for next Friday but just wondering if there is anyway to reset the code yourself. Would imagine a battery replacement should not be too difficult either. The alarm was pre-fitted in the house when we moved in.

If this is normal then I'll let the company replace it but was curious to see what other folks are doing in this area.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

What system do you have & what happens when you enter your existing code?
    Your user code should have the privledges to change your own code.
    As I always say shop around for prices first.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

It's a HKC alarm. Not sure of the model though as the panel does not show this.

When I enter my user code the alarm simply activates.

I don't have the engineer code

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I hope its not the original installers that you are calling back. Setting up a user code with out any standard privledges is bad practice & purely done to extract money at a future date.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

Yes it was the company who installed it first day. Anyway I've cancelled and will replace the battery myself . Not sure how I will reset the code though without their intervention. Is there an easy to overwrite the master code?

You could try default the panel and reprogram it yourself, although I would say if a company is not giving you the basic code privledges in the hope of future revenue then they will have the panel engineer locked.
    If you PM me who installed it I'll see if I can find out the engineer code.

• Advertisement
Advertisement