Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Pay query

Options
  • 26-04-2013 12:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi,

In my contract I get paid 25 holidays per year. My hours vary from week to week but mid-week, I work 10.5 hours per day.

However, when I get paid holiday pay I only get paid 8 hours for each day.

Should I not be getting paid 10.5 hours per day instead?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Does it also say in your contract how many hours you are required to work? Usually it is 40 hours a week, anything more than that is overtime. Holidays are based on the "normal" 8 hour working day, even if its not normal for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Jacovs wrote: »
    Does it also say in your contract how many hours you are required to work? Usually it is 40 hours a week, anything more than that is overtime. Holidays are based on the "normal" 8 hour working day, even if its not normal for you.
    Not sure, will check contract at home and see. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

To get a ball park figure:

If you were employed for a year last year, multiply your total wages by 8% and divide that by your rate per hour.

This is one way of working out how many holiday hours you should have been paid if you work variable hours.

Now how many holidays hours did you get last year and what is the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

When you get a day's holidays is it deducted from your total in days or hours?

For Example:

if 8% of your worked hours was 160 hours

That would = 20 Days holidays @ 8 Hours per Day
    But Only = 15.3 Days @ 10.5 Hours per day.

So which matters more to you, Number of Days Off or the $$ per day off?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ebixa82 wrote: »
    when I get paid holiday pay I only get paid 8 hours for each day.

Should I not be getting paid 10.5 hours per day instead?
    As Jacovs has said, annual leave is based on a standard 8 hour day/40 hour week.

If, for example, you were rostered to work 60 hours next week, but decided to take leave instead, you would be paid for 40 hours leave (not 60).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

As Jacovs has said, annual leave is based on a standard 8 hour day/40 hour week.

If, for example, you were rostered to work 60 hours next week, but decided to take leave instead, you would be paid for 40 hours leave (not 60).

I don't think that's quite right for people who work non-standard hours each week, though. No links, but I think that the amount you are paid is supposed to be related to average pay over a certain time ... so it ends up being approx 8%.

Advertisement