Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with Landlord

Options
  • 26-04-2013 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi ,

Im hoping someone can give me some advice on what to do. Myself and my boyfriend moved into a semi detached cottage in Feb. We have 2 little toy dogs so it was ideal as it was a cottage and is out in the country and had a secure back garden and the landlord didnt mind the dogs.

We took the house straight away after seeing it as an estate agent had told us if we liked somewhere tell the landlord your interested because houses are been snapped up so quickly.

He never asked us for a deposit which we did find strange so we paid the first months rent up front as he requested.

When we moved in the house was not cleaned properly.. the previous tenant had dogs too but the place was covered in dog hairs.. I mean they were everywhere. The fridge was never cleaned out or defrosted so we had to do that and it took us nearly 2 days to clean the oven. Now we didnt mind doing this really as we wouldve given the place a clean anyways so we let this go.

We then noticed that the 2 front window's had mould growing all along the bottom of them and there is no insulation what so ever. We also found that the bathroom is completely damp and the heating is not working in it. He still hasnt fixed the heating.

We have woodlice EVERYWHERE.. Especially in the bathroom where it appears to be damp. He gave us powder to put on them. Surely he needs to be sorting this out? I do not want to be putting down chemical powder where i keep my tioletres.

In March we called the landlord up to the house and handed him a list of all these things (we cannot use the grill in the oven because black bits keep falling off the top of the oven). he said he would have them all fixed within 2 weeks. That was back in March and nothing has really been done since. He did put a fan into the bathroom but that hasnt cleared anything up. and the place is still crawling with woodlice..

In February when we had given him the months rent upfront, we got a snotty text off his wife asking where the rent is. We rang the landlord and told him we had given it to him as requested. he said this was the deposit, but we told him he didnt ask us for a deposit. So he then asked us for the deposit. Can he do this? We didnt have the money for the deposit at that stage so we just gave him 1/2 of it as a comprimise as that is all we could afford as he never asked us for one in the first place.

The other problem now is they keep texting about the rent. They text us a few days before the rent is due to remind us.. Now we know when the rent is to be paid and don't appreciate a reminder text. We are both in our 30's so we'r not kids.

Because the landlord doesnt seem to be fixing any of the issues in the house, are we as well to cut our losses and move out especially when they keep nearly harrassing us for the rent money.. Our only issue is its very hard to get a house that will take the 2 dogs too even though they are quiet and small.

Any thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Did you sign a lease?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Did you sign a lease?

This piece of information is key if you went through an agent there will hopefully be something down in writing regarding what you have paid for and the situation will be quite clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I'd get out of there ASAP, make a phone call to the PRTB, find out if the landlord has registered you and make a complaint about the state of the house so future potential renters won't have to deal with the same conditions. They sound greedy, very greedy, best to put as much distance between you and them as possible I don't imagine you'll see a deposit back if one is paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If you want to stick this one out then you need to put all issues in writing, send it to the landlord, and request a time plan for when the issues will be resolved. If they are not resolved in the time frame given write another letter, informing them that you will have no choice but to take a case with the PRTB against them.

Also let them know, in writing, that you are both adults, and that you do not require, nor do you appreciate, a monthly text reminder to pay the rent. Insist that they cease this behaviour immediately.

I dont think that they have any right to ask for a deposit if one was not requested up front. Do you have a lease? If so, does it mention a deposit? If there is no lease, did you get a receipt or anything for the first months rent paid?

To be honest, if it were me Id be looking to move. It sounds like it is more hassle than it is worth. You havent mentioned signing a fixed term lease, so if you are not on one then give your 28 days notice and find somewhere else to live.

Just a word of warning for the future; accept that the state of the property on the day you get the keys is likely to be the way it will remain. Many of the issues that you have outlined should have been picked up on when you were inspecting the property, and any issues that require attention should be sorted before you hand over any money. Too many landlords will promise to fix issues, but once they get you into the house and get your money you will have a nightmare getting them to do any work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mossy99

Yes we did sign a lease but its not a fixed term. We would move but its nearly impossible to get anywhere that is willing to take dogs.

We gave the landlord a written list of all the issues and he said he would have them done within 2 weeks but nothing really happened.

He seems geniune enough and we think he doesn't have the money to fix the problems but again that is not our problem. We would rather he told us and we could come to some sort of arrangement.

The texting us reminding us about the rent is a big thing, we are not kids. and it seems to be his wife not him that deals with the money. We were going to respond and tell her that our contract is with her husband so any respondence should come from him.

We are renting out our own house to tenants and we would never not fix anything for them (thankfully we dont have any issues there). We are both now working in Dublin and our house is in the country so unfortunately its not feasible to live there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

To add to the above; did you get a receipt for the deposit? If not, I can't see you ever getting it back. Look for another place, and move into it. Don't bother even cleaning the place, as why should you respect the landlord if they didn't respect you? Respect is earned, not given.

Also alot of the issues we are now seeing, were not visable when we viewed the house and only found them when we moved in.

the_syco wrote: »
    To add to the above; did you get a receipt for the deposit? If not, I can't see you ever getting it back. Look for another place, and move into it. Don't bother even cleaning the place, as why should you respect the landlord if they didn't respect you? Respect is earned, not given.

No we didnt get a receipt.. Now im raging, but if we get somewhere else to live I think we would just cut our losses.. though its really annoying especially as we are landlords ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mossy99 wrote: »
    No we didnt get a receipt.. Now im raging, but if we get somewhere else to live I think we would just cut our losses.. though its really annoying especially as we are landlords ourselves.
    No receipt would equal no proof, and as one wasn't asked for by the EA, it'll be your word against the landlords, and I'm thinking the state you found the place in when you moved in is proof that the landlord fcuked over the last tenant!

File a complaint to the PTRB over non-return of the deposit if you don't get it on leaving.

Advertisement