Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat with fleas acting strange

• 26-04-2013 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

I have 2 outdoor cats. They spend a lot of time indoors during the day, sleeping on a large bean bag. The male cat started acting strange a few days ago. I found him asleep on the dining room table, which is completely out of character for him, he rarely goes on the furniture. When I lifted him up there were 2 fleas on the table (aagh!). So I dosed the 2 of them with Advocat again (they were also done in March).

He's just acting very weird, not scratching but trying to curl up in odd, uncomfortable places. He's usually such a creature of habit.
    The beanbag is one of those washable outdoor ones so gets hovered regularly, no sign of fleas on it. Is a cat likely to be bothered by fleas that would make them act strange? They have had fleas a few times over the years and I didn't notice anything unusual about them.

Also, is Advocat the best thing to use? I'm surprised he got fleas when I only dosed him about 6 weeks ago.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

No i wouldnt expect them to be acting strangely bar scratching to be honest. If they were in very high numbers and in young kittens then they can do a lot of harm but not so much in older animals.

Advocate is perfect for use in cats as a flea treatment.

His behaviour change could be due to another underlying issue though not related. Is he eating, drinking, defecaeting normally? Are there other strange tom cats hanging around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

anniehoo wrote: »
    No i wouldnt expect them to be acting strangely bar scratching to be honest. If they were in very high numbers and in young kittens then they can do a lot of harm but not so much in older animals.

Advocate is perfect for use in cats as a flea treatment.

His behaviour change could be due to another underlying issue though not related. Is he eating, drinking, defecaeting normally? Are there other strange tom cats hanging around?

Thanks for that. There has been another cat prowling around at nighttime for the last few weeks so maybe he's stressed by that (he's not the bravest cat!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Yeah could very well be the reason, he may feel "safer" higher up on the table than on the beanbag. Cats are funny like that, the higher or enclosed they are sometimes the more secure they feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Fleas can carry FeLV. It's a remote possibility.

Advertisement