Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dapping - Line set up

Options
  • 26-04-2013 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Plan to do some dapping this year on Mask / Corrib.

Bought a telescopic rod and some floss line and using an old fly reel.

Not sure on the line set up;

1) length and strength of leader?
    2) length of floss line? (or do I use all 50m?)
    3) length and type of backing?

Also what knots do you use to tie the floss line to the leader and backing? Looking at the floss line its going to be a bit of a pfaff to tie.

Thanks

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, Muirean Bradley, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Melts Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, St. Vincent, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Vampire Weekend, Fontaines DC, Amble

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Different ways of doing it with different kit but this article about covers it, even if the knot descrption's are complicated.... http://lochlomondangling.com/PDF/Dapping.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Also what knots do you use to tie the floss line to the leader and backing? Looking at the floss line its going to be a bit of a pfaff to tie.

Thanks

You need only 2-6ft of floss depending on the wind strength. I use fly line backing and or heavy cheap braid going straight through to 15lb mono(12in-24in with a loop) then a few feet of tippet material. I used to use Flurocarbon but in last few years Im using dark dull mono as it doesnt catch the sunlight and I think I have caught more fish.
    I have the floss attached the braid but it doesnt take the strain during the fight. I have used loops in the braid and sliding stop knots to keep the floss flush to the braid.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Thanks

It's very simple really.

Backing can be any type of flyline backing, to backing attach 50 to 100m of 10-15lb braid on reel or similar light fine strong line, the line must be light. Attach 5-8 feet of floss to braid via loop to loop then to end of floss attach 6-7 foot leader. Length of floss and leader can depend upon wind strength, light wind longer floss, strong wind less floss.

Advertisement