Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Msc Computer Science - Negotiated Learning

Options
  • 26-04-2013 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭

Hi, I tried to do a search but all the results are pretty old.

I have been accepted to the above course but I am not sure if I will take the place or not.

Has anyone here completed this masters? What was your previous programming experience? What modules did you choose or would you recommend?

Did you feel adequately prepared for work in the real world as a developer?

What was the timetable like? I am going to have to keep working probably 30 hours a week, how do you think this would mix with the workload?\

Any other general advice is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

PeakOutput wrote: »
    Hi, I tried to do a search but all the results are pretty old.

I have been accepted to the above course but I am not sure if I will take the place or not.

Has anyone here completed this masters? What was your previous programming experience? What modules did you choose or would you recommend?

Did you feel adequately prepared for work in the real world as a developer?

What was the timetable like? I am going to have to keep working probably 30 hours a week, how do you think this would mix with the workload?\

Any other general advice is appreciated

Not doing this Masters, but rather the Conversion.

It's strongly advised that you have a good knowledge of programming before entering (C, C++, Java sort of thing, if you only know one of those it should be fine). Even the Conversion course requires some sort of IT knowledge before entering.

UCD generally has a good reputation in relation to Computer Science; principally due to the standard of graduates rather than its skill or organisation in teaching. Many of its modules are strictly intellectual - pushing a student more towards research than industry. Thankfully NL allows you to choose your own modules.

Moreover, a lot of those modules listed for Negotiated Learning are available to undergrads. This is great in one respect; it means you can look them up!
    This link may prove useful. The module descriptions show what time of the day the module is currently offered, the learning objectives, and the workload. That is, unless the module coordinator has been dead-lazy and not bothered to fill in those details, which will tell you quite a bit in itself.

You might finding working in an environment where you cannot choose your working hours week-by-week excessively awkward when assignments start piling up half way through term. Oh, the fact that many of those modules are offered to undergrads should not make you think that they are in any way easy. Although I can see one module listed there that was so easy I could do it in my sleep, there are a couple that are complete nightmares, where the majority of the class invariably fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭puffmullett

I am just finishing the MScNL & have no programming experience & didnt have to do any at all throughout the course. There are loads of modules that aren't propgramming related but it really depends on what you want to get out of it.

I worked full time throughout & felt that once I kept on top of the assignments etc I was fine.

Again the timetable is up to what modules you pick, most of mine were in the evening

My advice would be, go through the module list & select the ones you would like & have a few back ups as I didnt get into one module as the class sizes were limited. If you are not sure about a modules, speak to the lecturer (most are obliging) or alternatively attend one of the classes & see what you think as far as I recall I edidnt have to finalise my module selection until a week or two in.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Joza

Hi PeakOutput,

I didn't have much programming experience when I entered the course. My background was in physics and mathematics, although I did teach myself some introductory Java using the excellent Oracle tutorials ( http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/ ).

During the first few weeks I felt really out of my depth and did consider switching to the conversion course, but I stook with it and worked at it and I managed to finish top of some of my classes. If you enjoy the courses, you'll do fine. There is a large module choice too so there should be plenty of stuff to suit your interests. There are programming modules in C++, Java and Ruby that are intended for beginners ( although some basic knowledge of programming would ceratinly help! ).

Don't forget there is the part-time option too, I would strongly recommend that if you are going to be working 30 hours a week.

Feel free to ask any questions about the course!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Thanks.

If it makes any difference I have a bachelors in digital media design so I have some programming foundations but not a huge amount. most of my course was on human computer interaction and designing usability.

would any of you have recommendations about which modules to pick and which not to. I want to specialize in the full stack of web development and as much as I can about mobile app development. I think my priorities should be php or ruby, learning databases inside out so here are the modules I have been considering;

Object-Oriented programming
    advanced web info systems
    sql programming
    exploring programming in ruby
    pro java programming
    Networks and internet systems
    mobile app development
    cloud computing
    web services in cloud computing
    data mining
    natural computing??? (just sounds interesting and I have no background with algorithms)
    ecommerce infrastructure (DCU)

there are intensive scheduling options that say they have a requirement of at least 2-3 years industry experience which I dont have but if I could choose those modules I would love to do

android mobile app dev
    managing software in production

thoughts?

Thanks.
    • Object-Oriented programming: hard as balls. Interesting. Still hard as balls
    • advanced web info systems: I'd need a module code to know more.
    • sql programming: right at this moment developing Oracle database for this. On boards.ie to numb the pain. If you want to know about Oracle fire away.
    • exploring programming in ruby: possible duplicate of OOP above
    • pro java programming: no idea
    • Networks and internet systems: want to know about the TCP/IP stack?
    • mobile app development: android + java. Winning?
    • cloud computing: no idea
    • web services in cloud computing: no idea
    • data mining: databases++. Heard it's a head wrecker but can't say for certain.
    • natural computing: for those who love programming assignments and dislike exams.
    • ecommerce infrastructure (DCU): no idea

Not sure if you'd be eligible for all of those, depending on what course you choose however

• Advertisement

Not sure if you'd be eligible for all of those, depending on what course you choose however

Thanks that helps a lot, do you mind me asking what do you find hard about oop?

COMP41080 is the module code for advanced web info systems

I feel the more actual programming assignments I do the better and a little duplication (jave oop and ruby oop) might be a good thing.

They are all from the list the course director sent me of last years modules so besides the last two which have minimum industry experience requirements I should be eligible for all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Data Mining is best avoided, and that's entirely due to to the lecturer. It's a topic I do actually find interesting but passed up two opportunities to take the class.

Natural Computing is pretty sweet, if it's anything like it was when I was in 4th year 4 years ago. Research papers and your own little project, marked quite softly and no exams - hell yeah.

• Site Banned Posts: 45 Double decker

what should influence your decision is your goals / expectations and your background.

is your goal to get a masters as easily as possible or the best possible preparation for an IT role. Do you want that IT role to be software development? Databases? Networks? etc.

Object-Oriented programming - I presume / hope you've programmed in Java before. This is, afaik, a c++ course. OOP is pretty much essential knowledge for development role in future.
    advanced web info systems - not sure exactly what this but sounds relevant to web dev
    sql programming - essential
    exploring programming in ruby - sometimes its a nuisance learning programming in different languages at the same time, ruby is fairly trendy
    pro java programming - not sure what the pro means? professional? advanced? this could prove to be a very tricky module, especially if you're existing knowledge of java is fairly basic
    Networks and internet systems - sure why not
    mobile app development - this might be a nice little fun module, making android apps etc.
    cloud computing - again, trendy
    web services in cloud computing - sounds similar to above, are these modules offered by ucd/dcu ?
    data mining - as others have said, fairly painful experience
    natural computing??? (just sounds interesting and I have no background with algorithms) - stay clear, very research based, not widely applicable, merits are it's not examined at end of year.
    ecommerce infrastructure (DCU) - basically web dev

what should influence your decision is your goals / expectations and your background.

is your goal to get a masters as easily as possible or the best possible preparation for an IT role. Do you want that IT role to be software development? Databases? Networks? etc.

Thanks for the advice, I want to focus specifically on web and mobile app development technologies. I am familiar enough with the front-end technologies but need to learn a lot about the back-end.

Edit; and no I dont want to just get an easy masters I want to focus on exactly what I want to do

• Site Banned Posts: 45 Double decker

i'd say your spot on with your choices, just get rid of the data mining and the natural computing.

is there a c programming module option or a python on?

• Advertisement

Thanks that helps a lot, do you mind me asking what do you find hard about oop?

COMP41080 is the module code for advanced web info systems

I feel the more actual programming assignments I do the better and a little duplication (jave oop and ruby oop) might be a good thing.

They are all from the list the course director sent me of last years modules so besides the last two which have minimum industry experience requirements I should be eligible for all of them.

http://csserver.ucd.ie/~meloc/30070/PastPracticalExams/PracticalExamWinter2010.pdf
    http://csserver.ucd.ie/~meloc/30070/PracticalExam/PracticalExamStudents.pdf

Sort of practical exam worth 40% of the course.

And that one above is one of the easier exams. Instant fail if it doesn't compile, even for a missing semi-colon.
    There's also a written test (non-open book). Also worth 40%. Thank God.

COMP41080 seems to use Perl as its main ssp language. Why? Python, PHP, C#.Net, etc would all be more useful. Of course curricula change from year to year, and it might be different when you are doing it. Haven't taken it myself, but you couldn't go too far wrong I imagine doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Finished my undergrad a few years ago, still schlubbing it as a postgrad though.

Object-Oriented Programming - Software-engineering with java and design patterns. (someone above said c++, pretty sure it's java though)
    Advanced Web Info Systems - Not sure what gets covered in this.
    SQL Programming - Really useful if you're doing any web / database stuff.
    Exploring Programming in Ruby - I guess Ruby is reasonably popular at the moment. It's not too difficult to get up to speed if you've experience with another language.
    Pro Java Programming - Don't really know about this one, possibly a class on advanced uses of the java language rather than software engineering / design patterns..
    Networks and internet systems - I think this was the introductory course when I was an undergrad, probably gels well (or overlaps) with the advanced web info systems course.
    Mobile App Development - Useful.
    Cloud Computing - Not sure if this overlaps with the network courses above, probably has a bit of distributed systems in it, but not sure.
    Web Services in cloud computing - Possibly a more practical variant of the above course?
    Data Mining - I liked this course, not sure why so many didn't like it. I found it less computer-science-y more data analysis-y, which probably throws off a lot of people who haven't done anything like that before.
    Natural Computing - Introduction to biologically-inspired algorithms (genetic algorithms, particle-swarm optimization), basically a subfield of A.I. It is as people have said a bit more research focused (you'll have to read some research papers) and not too practical off the bat. But it's a pretty fun course if you're interested, plus the exam is replaced by a software project and paper.
    Ecommerce Infrastructure (DCU) - More web dev stuff, not 100% because it's in DCU however.

Exploring Programming in Ruby:
    A great choice. The lecturer is a great laugh and the classes are quite dynamic. Ruby is a fun and easy language to learn in my opinion, and got me hooked on programming.

Professional Java
    They won't let you do this if you've no previous experience in programming. You'll have to also take the Java Technologies course as it's aimed a bit more a beginners, although there is overlap. I ended up being able to do all 3 at the same time anyway(?). It's a good course and it's all self-learning.

Cloud Computing
    Cloud is ubiquitous; a good intro to it and the main technologies. A big software project is undertaken. I used Java in mine and didn't find it too tough, but it takes time and effort.

Internet Systems
    Again, a really great and nice lecturer. Material is very interesting, as are the labs. So many people in CS in my experience don't have a good understanding of the Internet and its certainly worth knowing. It touches on Wireless internet and some other advanced stuff at the end too like media codecs.

Joza wrote: »
    Exploring Programming in Ruby:
    A great choice. The lecturer is a great laugh and the classes are quite dynamic. Ruby is a fun and easy language to learn in my opinion, and got me hooked on programming.

Is that Mel?

Is that Mel?

Haha, is that you Mark!?

EDIT:

Woops, I read that as "Is that Me ?"

I didn't have Mel, we had Mark. Great lecturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 HLouise

Joza wrote: »
    Hi PeakOutput,

I didn't have much programming experience when I entered the course. My background was in physics and mathematics, although I did teach myself some introductory Java using the excellent Oracle tutorials ( http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/ ).

During the first few weeks I felt really out of my depth and did consider switching to the conversion course, but I stook with it and worked at it and I managed to finish top of some of my classes. If you enjoy the courses, you'll do fine. There is a large module choice too so there should be plenty of stuff to suit your interests. There are programming modules in C++, Java and Ruby that are intended for beginners ( although some basic knowledge of programming would ceratinly help! ).

Don't forget there is the part-time option too, I would strongly recommend that if you are going to be working 30 hours a week.

Feel free to ask any questions about the course!

Hi Joza,

I'm hoping to apply for this course this year. I'm also from a non IT background and looking for some advise on selecting the subjects. Do you know which subjects in general & which subjects are suitable for beginners (non IT backgrounds)?

Thanks,
    L

• Registered Users Posts: 9 NoLimit

I applied this course on july, unfortunately they told me the course is full at the moment and they are hoping to free up some places and if that happens they will assess my application . I am gutted as I was planning to do this course this year.
    I guess i'm in waiting list until someone who has an offer decides not to take it.
    Can anyone have suggestion of any good computer MSc program from any university which has some modules of programming?

NoLimit wrote: »
    I applied this course on july, unfortunately they told me the course is full at the moment and they are hoping to free up some places and if that happens they will assess my application . I am gutted as I was planning to do this course this year.
    I guess i'm in waiting list until someone who has an offer decides not to take it.
    Can anyone have suggestion of any good computer MSc program from any university which has some modules of programming?

Hi, when or how were you advised that the course is full? Were you talking to someone in UCD? I am also waiting for confirmation & was advised that there is a back log in processing the applications.

Thanks, L

Hi HLouise,
    Yes, I wrote them email three days ago, after waiting for long for confirmation and they said, " We are not currently assessing application for the MSc NL programme as it is full. We are hoping to be in a position to free up some places in the coming weeks. If and when this happens your application will be assessed then ".
    When did you apply? May be if it was earlier than my application, you might be in consideration. I was really looking forward to do this course.
    I did my application on june not july as my earlier post said.

I try to look for alternative course but i can't find one which tick boxes as this one, unless if someone can suggest.

• Advertisement

When did they advise they have a back log? Is it recent or?

NoLimit wrote: »
    When did they advise they have a back log? Is it recent or?

I applied for the part time early June and they told me last week there is a back log, I was dealing with Imelda Huggins. I'm looking into other courses too as a back up but its difficult. Dcu are not running their part time conversion IT course due to low demand. Trinity do a part time undergrad and there's a part time masters with DBD that I'm considering but I'd like to get more info from past students! Let me know if you find out abt any other courses or if you decide to go for any other course! Thks

I applied full time and was dealing with Imelda as well. I try to look as well if something come out i will post a thread.

Hi, I would like to get some feedback from those who took these modules COMP30410 Programming in C++ and COMP30070 Object-oriented programming, what the lectures like and what is the core language used in OOP? Is it ruby,java or c++.
    Any recommendation to take between these two modules?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,077 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Sorry for bumping an old thread, hope it's ok, just wondering if anyone could give any insight into the online modules for this course? Can't really see much information on the website about how they work, how content is delivered, etc?

Interested in doing this course but not sure how much time I'd be able to spend in UCD with work. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bipedalhumanoid

just wondering if anyone could give any insight into the online modules for this course? Can't really see much information on the website about how they work, how content is delivered, etc?

I have the same question. I'm doing the course part time and in the second year I'm covering Stats with Python, Stats with R and Data mining as online modules. I'm not really sure what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

A classmate of mine did one of the Java ones and said it was crap.

I changed from an online one to a class one for the second semester and I'm certain I made the right decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

A classmate of mine did one of the Java ones and said it was crap.

I changed from an online one to a class one for the second semester and I'm certain I made the right decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kj31289

Could you guys clarify how it is with weekdays attendance? I'm thinking about PT study, but I can't find information about that. Is this sporadic or rather every week/ every two weeks I will have to take day off at work to comply?

As of my programming skills, I'm using SQL for generating not very complex reports, writing store procs for testing purposes. I'm hands on with linux scripting, did some simple projects in python (stuff for monitoring of one of my sites).
    Objective programming, I'm willing to learn, but I'm not hands on with it, beside C# code reviews (I'm QA).
    Is this enough?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement