Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you rate GTA 1, London, and II?

• 26-04-2013 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭

So as some of you have probably seen from the other threads, I'm replaying the gta games in advance of V coming out.

I haven't gone back to GTA 1, London, and II.

I was quite young when I played them first, I enjoyed them loads but I found them very challenging when compared to the 3d games. The driving and shooting in particular always undid me, I could only ever beat the first few missions of the games.

So what do people think overall?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I was pretty young when they were out and found them to be a great laugh. But I found the missions damn hard. Escaping the cops was night on impossible due to the speed of the cop cars and being unable to see road blocks in the distance so I never progressed too far in the game. Had to use cheats to unlock the other cities.

A few years ago, I got GTA1 working for a bit of nostalgia. Christ, I found it awful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I liked One, I loved Two (GIMME YOUR WALLET!) however London just felt like One with a new skin on it.

If I had the option I would get Two again but I would probably leave One to rest as a fond memory.

If I had the option I would get Two again but I would probably leave One to rest as a fond memory.
    You can download it free and give it another go ;)

http://rockstargames.com/classics/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

I started playing GTA 1 when I was around 8 or 9. I loved it! :D Bang in the cheats and cause mayhem because I could only do a small handful of the actual missions.

GTA London, I found to be 'meh'. I thought the graphics were drab compared to GTA 1. It didn't really stand out for me. A bit lacklustre.

I thought GTA 2 was amazing. It added new dimensions to the overall game with the rival gangs and the respect meter. Now usually I'm not a fan of things set in the future but this game appealed to me for some reason. I loved the fact that there were various levels of police enforcement in it: cops, SWAT, FBI and finally the army.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

GTA 1 & 2 = Best GTAs for me! Didn't really care for the move to 3D or the more serious feel or the mechanic of hitting someone with a car and then getting out to take their money. Give me the madness of Kill frenzies and GOURANGAs any day of the week :)

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    GTA 1 & 2 = Best GTAs for me! Didn't really care for the move to 3D or the more serious feel or the mechanic of hitting someone with a car and then getting out to take their money. Give me the madness of Kill frenzies and GOURANGAs any day of the week :)

I loved trying to kill that line of guys in orange tops in GTA 1! You could do it in GTA 2 with Elvis impersonators and get a message along the lines of 'The King Has Left The Building' :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I have GTA 1 & 2 installed on this work machine so they're fun for a quick play.

My favourite is at the very beginning of GTA 1 where you get a machine gun, hijack the train, hop out, mow down all the passengers leaving, hop in, hop back out and mow them all down again.

You end up getting so many sprites on the tracks that the train vanishes and you then get to contend with 4 star (cop heads) wanted level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,911 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'll never forget playing an early mission in GTA 1. Answer the phone for a mission..."My brother knows I’m bangin’ his wife. Waste the sonofabitch before he finds me"

I was 14 and thought that was the coolest thing ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I was quite young when I first played 1... probably 10-12y/o. I'll never forget that there's a long stretch of footpath in the top left corner of one of the cities (I think it's the first one, but not too sure) and you could just hop in a car and speed up and down killing countless people, jamming out to the tunes on the radio, and totally impervious to the police who wouldn't drive up there for some reason.

I got London in a massive box of PS1 games (about 50 or so) my Dad bought me for €30 at a car boot sale (it's amazing the random facts I store in my brain). I thought it was fun. I liked the music, I liked the general feel of it.

Never really played 2 that much compared to the others. Thought it was fine.

One thing I hated about them though was the text based missions. I find it hard to read most on screen text, but when it's a similar colour to the path behind it and disappears quickly... well, you can probably guess. :P

Overall, they were fun. I wouldn't play them now though. Just not my thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I was foolish enough to think that the game would be in 3d when i first heard about it.

I took a dislike to the series til gta 3 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Used to love 1, never played the other two. I downloaded 1 again not long ago, it's quite hard compared to the 3d ones.

My cousin and I used to see how many cops we could kill, one time we killed so many that there were none left, we could do what we wanted and no cops would come after us :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Loved 1, was indifferent about London and could never really get into 2 properly. I used to just go into the game and cause havoc rather than actually do the missions. I had them on PC and I remember I used to play with a crappy control pad. Ah the good old days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I'll never forget the cheat to get all the guns and health for GTA 1.
    BSTARD!
    Then it was off to burn the Jehova's witnesses with the flame thrower and a quick spin in the "Cossie" :D

Advertisement