Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervan Insurance for Sole Vehicle

Options
  • 26-04-2013 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi Forum Folks,
    I have just returned from stint in the UK and brought in my self-converted t4 campervan. As seen on previous posts there are a whole lot of obstacles involved in the process of getting the van registered here, between the SQI inspection, DOE inspection, dealing with Rosslare, local tax office etc etc. I think I have managed to overcome all of these, and even got a VRT exception through transfer of residence, but now I am being stumped by one tiny detail. As this is my only vehicle the only company willing to provide cover is Dolmens. Although it’s quite a basic conversion I meet ALMOST all their requirement – i.e. clear walkway front to back, gas bottle with two straps, cooking facilities, sink, storage, fixed bed, seating & table (and actually some are requirements of VRO rather than insurance, but that’s another story). BUT, my kitchen unit has a sink and only one cooking ring and Dolmens require two rings! They say Axa won’t do it. I can’t believe I am going to fall at such a small hurdle that I didn’t even anticipate! In fact Dolmens first refused to quote me because of the old height requirement (>1.8m) – which I had to point out no longer applied (as verified by one of their own representatives in an earlier conversation)! So I don’t have much hope of them arguing my case with Axa.
    They way the van is laid out there is no way to fit a larger kitchen unit in, never mind the extra expense and hassle. Any ideas of alternative insurance, or other workarounds?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

maggie_ok wrote: »
    Hi Forum Folks,
    I have just returned from stint in the UK and brought in my self-converted t4 campervan. As seen on previous posts there are a whole lot of obstacles involved in the process of getting the van registered here, between the SQI inspection, DOE inspection, dealing with Rosslare, local tax office etc etc. I think I have managed to overcome all of these, and even got a VRT exception through transfer of residence, but now I am being stumped by one tiny detail. As this is my only vehicle the only company willing to provide cover is Dolmens. Although it’s quite a basic conversion I meet ALMOST all their requirement – i.e. clear walkway front to back, gas bottle with two straps, cooking facilities, sink, storage, fixed bed, seating & table (and actually some are requirements of VRO rather than insurance, but that’s another story). BUT, my kitchen unit has a sink and only one cooking ring and Dolmens require two rings! They say Axa won’t do it. I can’t believe I am going to fall at such a small hurdle that I didn’t even anticipate! In fact Dolmens first refused to quote me because of the old height requirement (>1.8m) – which I had to point out no longer applied (as verified by one of their own representatives in an earlier conversation)! So I don’t have much hope of them arguing my case with Axa.
    They way the van is laid out there is no way to fit a larger kitchen unit in, never mind the extra expense and hassle. Any ideas of alternative insurance, or other workarounds?
    Thanks in advance.

My buddy has one of these in the van for just that purpose.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Campingaz-205370-Camp-Bistro/dp/B000Y854WC/

A single electric is also handy for campsite on hookup:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fine-Elements-Electrical-Single-Plate/dp/B00A4DE35G/ref=sr_1_6?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1366997904&sr=1-6&keywords=single+hob

Or better still an induction one delivered via parcel motel:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Digital-Electric-Induction/dp/B004BM749S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366997933&sr=8-1&keywords=induction+hob

The girld that nomally deals with the camper stuff on on maternity leave so the others are probably not up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Lidl or aldi have a single electric ring this week. This should get you over this **** red tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 maggie_ok

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I had actually considered getting one of these myself, but thought it might be taking the p a bit! It really will be ridiculous (but also good!) if Dolmens go for it, but I'll definitely try if it has worked for others!

My brother suggested telling them I was a vegetarian.......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Tell them u can't / don't cook and only eat take away,s ha ha

Just a quick update on this, I tried to re-negotiate with Dolmens but got nowhere, from being hung up on to be told yet again I didn't meet the height requirement, and something about climbing over seats (I have swivel captain's seats, with a very clear walkway!).
    Anyway, in the meantime I contacted the Motorcaravan Club and dealt with a very helpful gentleman there. They have similar requirements but can actually have a reasonable conversation! Like I said my van is not high-spec but it's clearly used for camping and not just an attempted tax-dodge or whatever. I have cover now through them, with van as sole vehicle. Highly recommended and cheaper than Dolmens too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

glad ya got it sorted.i find in this country if ya get someone that wants to help you'll get things sorted but if they don't give a rats arse you've got no chance.could I be bold enough to ask how much the insurance is?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

You have to be a member for to get their insurance.
    It says on their site, you have to be recommended by another member.

I intend to get van conversion, but it would be my sole vehicle also
    They all around 360 euro thats with a car also

Yeah, I agree bugsntinas, and I was dealing with a prime example of people from both camps!

Re costs I paid full premuim of e600 because I have no no claims bonus, but this decreases in 10% increments to e300 with full 5 yrs ncb, for a sole vehicle. As far as I know with Dolmens for a sole vehicle its e650 regardless of ncb, and I'm not sure about this, but I don't think you accrue a ncb with them either. Annual membership of mc club has to be factored in also, it's e70. I joined without any discussion of a recommendation but I suppose this is at their discretion!

maggie_ok wrote: »
    As far as I know with Dolmens for a sole vehicle its e650 regardless of ncb, and I'm not sure about this, but I don't think you accrue a ncb with them either.

I can confirm this much to my displeasure. I've been insured consistently for 5 years now. Almost 4 of which are on a Dolmen sole vehicle policy and learned yesterday I have zero NCB :mad::mad:

Advertisement