Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Conway 60Mb

• 26-04-2013 5:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,063 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

Im sure everyone knows this crowd by now. generally in the more unfortunate apartment blocks. Just wondering. How in the world do these lads advertise 24Mb or 60Mb broadband packages ?

To my knowledge UPC dont resell their stuff. So my understanding is that they are reselling Eircoms Infrastructure ? In that case how is it they are advertsing these sorts of speeds at 27 Euro per month ?

Surely this

- isnt achievable on that infrastructure
    - constitutes false advertising under Irish Law and UK law as i believe they are based out of the North.

Anyone any idea how is it they advertise these speeds ?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Actually if they are offering 60mb, then I assume they are using their own network, running fibre cable to the apartment building.

Smart and Magnet do similar in other apartments. I live in one of the Smart ones, they have their own fibre going into the basement and then deliver "up to" 24mb BB to each apartment using ADSL over the cat5 cables to go to each apartment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,062 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if they have fibre into the building, then they could run VDSL over the internal copper cables - this will do 60Mb/s no problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 jackwogan

Yes I have 60mb off them and it is great to see there is some competition out there. I used to be paying €69 to UPC now I am saving nearly €400 a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

jackwogan wrote: »
    Yes I have 60mb off them and it is great to see there is some competition out there. I used to be paying €69 to UPC now I am saving nearly €400 a year.

How do you manage that Jack?
    on this site you say
    Hi, I live in howth too... I have sky digital and basic conway channels in the bedrooms and never had any problems. I also have the 20mb broadband and I pay €52 (€27 for broadband and channels in bedroom and €25 to sky)
    so €52 x 12 months = €624 ....and that does not include boxsets or telephone with 100 free minutes

Either way, as you say UPC charge €69 x 12 month = €828

I make that a difference of €204, half the savings you make.

In addition, from what I hear about broadband from this site, not really comparable to broadband from UPC is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

To be fair, those comments are from 2009

• Advertisement

Yeah i was on a different TV package then. Now on the basic hd digital package, sky sports and sky movies are too dear

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sticksman

Do people recommend Sky Conway? Got a slip in the postbox in the apartment block the other day from them offering 20mb and 200 channels with recording capabilities a la Sky +. Tempted to say the least. What are they like regarding customer service, reception etc?

They do a free trial and there is no contract . I have them and I would recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sticksman

jackwogan wrote: »
    They do a free trial and there is no contract . I have them and I would recommend them.

Is there still the clause of having to pay them and sky? I currently have Sky in the apartment so luckily ours isn't one of the places where SkyConway have exclusive access.

Well I had sky and broadband with them I paid sky directly and paid skyconway for broadband there was no extra charges.
    Then I had to cut my bills and cancelled Sky and got Skyconway HD digital package and kept the broadband and I pay €27 a month for both, I dont have sky sports but there is 200 channels about 40 ish I would watch HD picture on it is very good and you can record and there is a 7 day epg. So €27 a month I am quite happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anyone know what their infrastructure is like? A mate just moved into an apartment in North Dublin supplied by them. Sounds like VDSL. He's getting intermittent browsing halts. Its wired so its not wireless as I'd have first looked at. So crappy gateways or have they got insufficient backhaul in the basement? Supposedly its a 30~ apt. complex.

Any info appreciated.

Advertisement