Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead pc?

Options
  • 26-04-2013 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭

Hi

A friend asked me to look at his computer as it's not working. Is a Packard Bell Imedia B2218 UK. It powers up but no POST or beep codes and no display. Have disconnected the HDD and DVD drives - same. Removed the RAM - get one continuous beep.

The inside of the computer is extremely dusty so thinking that there was some overheating. The PSU and CPU fans are both spinning but both very dirty. Don't know if this machine is for the scrap heap or is it fixable?

Anyone got any ideas?

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Swap round ram, chip,1 in slot2, chip 2 in slot 1.
    Make sure vga cable is in tight in the vga out slot on the pc,
    cable that goes to the monitor.
    put in a music cd,into drive, it should spin up for a few seconds.
    disconnect the keyboard.reboot pc.
    IT could be faulty ram, you could try another graphics card in it, or use the moberboard vga out ,instead of the grahics card thats in a slot.

IF theres onboard vga, remove pc power cable, from esb socket, take out the card,

connect to vga out.
    does it have dvi out,or just vga out.?

Could be bad ram chip, or faulty grahics card,.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

I would think that the continuous beep is from not having any RAM in the machine. I would look closer at the video out & the monitor.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

What video card is in it? Could be a Nvidia 8xxx series card that has failed, have you another video card you could test in it?

Nick

Don,t turn on a pc, unless there,s ram ,at least in slot 0, the first slot.
    Some pcs may need ram in slot 0, slot 1 , both slots to boot up normally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement