Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most absurd managerial sacking you can think of.

• 26-04-2013 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

The first three that spring to mind for me are Allerdyce - Blackburn / Adkins - Southampton and Ancelloti - Chelsea.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Rafa Benitez from Liverpool, Summer 2010. Especially when you consider his replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Jupp Heynckes when he won the CL with Madrid.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I laughed when you mentioned big Sam.

Montroseee wrote: »
    Jupp Heynckes when he won the CL with Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Any manager of Atletico Madrid between 1987-2000 (see Gil, Jesus)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I think the real gems are in Eastern Europe.

Although last season there was the rumour that the Olympiakos Pireaus manager was fired because he had shagged the club presidents wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Chelsea getting rid of Mourinho or Ancellotti

Real Madrid's cycle of managers has had some gems in it, including Del Bosque

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Blatter wrote: »
    He hasn't been sacked. He had said he was going to retire at the end of this season and Bayern announced a replacement. That's all.

That's not what he meant.

He won the CL with Real Madrid and was then sacked at the end of the season.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He hasn't been sacked. He had said he was going to retire at the end of this season and Bayern announced a replacement.
    That's all.

Apart from it being the future and a different club you're spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

He hasn't been sacked. He had said he was going to retire at the end of this season and Bayern announced a replacement. That's all.

He won the CL with Madrid in 1997/98 and was still sacked at the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He won the CL with Madrid in 1997/98 and was still sacked at the end of the season.
    He came fourth though. Capello.s sacking was worse imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea - <insert any number of managers here>

Yeah apologies I didn't read the full post, just saw Jupp Heynckes and assumed you were on about Bayern. A couple of people in the Barca match thread were asking why he was getting sacked from Bayern and that came to mind immediately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

dd972 wrote: »
    The first three that spring to mind for me are Allerdyce - Blackburn / Adkins - Southampton and Ancelloti - Chelsea.

They seem pretty justified at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

dd972 wrote: »
    They seem pretty justified at the moment.

At the time I thought Adkins' sacking was mental.

I think Southampton's football has improved under Pochettino.

And they've won more games (1 more) under Pochettino since January in 12 games than with Adkins in 22.

I think Chelsea sacking Ancelotti was insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

+1 on the Southampton decision. Pundits always call these decisions crazy/knee jerk etc but its working there. Likewise the change of management at Sunderland looks like it will have the desired effect, keeping them in the PL.

Capello at Madrid is one for me. Sacked because they didn't play attractive enough football, but yet had won the CL.
    Ancelotti at Chelsea another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Chelsea sacking AVB was absolute madness.

Madrid sacking Del Bosque

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Vicente Del Bosque was sacked the day after he won a league title with Real Madrid. He had won two Champion's league titles and two La Liga titles in 4 seasons. That for me is the most ridiculous ever.

I think Allardyce being sacked was the most ridiculous in recent times in the Premier League. The man had to sell his best players to pay the clubs bank debt and then use the money left over to sign replacements. In his only full season in charge we finished tenth. Then that summer all club funds were frozen for a couple of months while the sale of the club was being arranged. The new owners came in and said they were backing him and giving him funds in January but go and sack him in December. As everybody knows things took an immediate nosedive, we just avoided relegation that season but were relegated early the next season and have just about avoided a second consecutive relegation this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Dante

Del Bosque at Real Madrid surely? Got the sack despite winning the Champions league twice and La Liga twice in four years. In the following four years, Madrid went on to have seven different managers and won nothing.

EDIT: Damn you got there 5 seconds before me!

Mick McCarthy from Wolves was ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

DazMarz wrote: »
    Chelsea getting rid of Mourinho or Ancellotti

Agree. Both terrible decisions. Considering their replacements

Mick McCarthy from Wolves was ridiculous.

I disagree. They were absolutely awful. Probably the worst team in the EPL since that Derby season. The players were running around the defensive areas like headless chicken. McCarthy was going to get the chop in the summer anyway, it was worth changing it up to chance their arm. There was ZERO chance of them staying up with McCarthy and probably a 0.1% chance if they changed the manager. McCarthy spent a fair few quid there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Pellegrini got sacked by Real after setting a record points total for the club.

I disagree. They were absolutely awful. Probably the worst team in the EPL since that Derby season. The players were running around the defensive areas like headless chicken. McCarthy was going to get the chop in the summer anyway, it was worth changing it up to chance their arm. There was ZERO chance of them staying up with McCarthy and probably a 0.1% chance if they changed the manager. McCarthy spent a fair few quid there too.

Third from bottom they were. http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2011-2012/table/2012-02-12
    There are better managers around and if they'd had someone worthwhile actually lined up then fair enough. Look at where they are now and where McCarty is, Wolves potentially facing a second straight relegation, McCarty took over Ipswich when they were bottom of the table and has brought them to safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Mourinho from Chelsea. Ancelotti from Chelsea. Pellegrini from Real

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Avram Grant from Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Ex Ireland player/manager Johnny Carey was sacked after leading Everton to their best placed post war league position. He was sacked in the back of a taxi by Everton Chairman John Moores. Apparently, its where the saying "taxi for ..." comes from.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Antoine Karambouaré got sacked from PSG despite being top of ligue 1.

There was an ex West Ham player in last month's four four two that got sacked hours after being appointed as the chairman that hired him sold the club.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Maysa07

chris hughton sacking from Newcastle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Brian Clough, Derby County.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Roddy Collins at Bohs after winning the league and cup double.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

the allerdyce sacking was indeed mental

in an odd way the Steve Kean sacking afterwards was also mental. He should have been sacked the end of the first season he was in when we almost got relegated. He should have been sacked at any stage during his full season when we did get relegated. But to sack him when we were second place in the Championship and looking at promoting straight back up....

Now THAT is completely insane!!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Roddy Collins at Bohs after winning the league and cup double.

There was other factors at play there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Del Bosque for me

done nothing since :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Rumours abound of another ridiculous sacking for Carlo's CV in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

Surely Zamparini's tenure as Palermo owner is worth a mention. He has sacked 18 managers since taking over in 2002, and 51 in his 24 years as a club owner overall. He also has a habit of hiring, firing and then rehiring managers. This season Gian Piero Gasperini was sacked, replaced by Alberto Malesani for three weeks, and then rehired... For just over two weeks!

The strangest thing is that Palermo had been reasonably stable on the field until last year. Now they're struggling against relegation, whilst Zamparini is struggling to find managers that he hasn't already blamed for the team's shortcomings.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Think it was Leroy Rosenior who was hired as Torquay manager only to be told 10 minutes later that the main shareholder had sold the club and he was sacked immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Mad vlad sacked Graeme rix when hearts were top of the league after 10 games iirc. I know he was facing some charges at the time, but that didn't stop him being hired in the first place so don't think it was a factor in his sacking

Don't know if mentioned already, but st Mirren probably regret sacking that ferguson bloke. I reckon he had the potential to dominate (by that I mean come second) once rangers died

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Last season, Shamrock Rovers sacked a manager who has previously won the League of Ireland.

This season they are in a relegation battle with a manager who had never managed before while Stephen Kenny is flying with Dundalk.

What an absurd football club!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I'd say Leeds fans would have been looking at Forest and kicking themselves in the 70's for getting rid of Brian Clough, he might have even taken them further with them being a bigger club as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Two off the top of my head are Ancelotti from Chelsea and Del Bosque from Madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

srfc19 wrote: »
    Last season, Shamrock Rovers sacked a manager who has previously won the League of Ireland.

This season they are in a relegation battle with a manager who had never managed before while Stephen Kenny is flying with Dundalk.

What an absurd football club!! :D
    the fans wanted Kenny out though, so it's the fans that are absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Don't know if mentioned already, but st Mirren probably regret sacking that ferguson bloke. I reckon he had the potential to dominate (by that I mean come second) once rangers died

Obsessed much :) Not a thing about Rangers in this thread but in your tiny mind you still have to mention them lol

Antoine Karambouaré got sacked from PSG despite being top of ligue 1.

There was an ex West Ham player in last month's four four two that got sacked hours after being appointed as the chairman that hired him sold the club.

They had Carlo Ancelotti lined up to replace him. Hardly absurd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Neil Warnock - OPR

QPR gave Mark Hughes plenty of resources to build a team while Warnock got nada. Mark Hughes was a flop and if Warnock was given the vast resources Hughes got I'd say he would of done a better job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Warnock's no better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

The 10 minute Torquay manager. I hope he got his wages:pac:

Obsessed much :) Not a thing about Rangers in this thread but in your tiny mind you still have to mention them lol

How could I not mention rangers when discussing competition at the top of the Scottish league over the last 20 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Lee Clarke at huddersfield, sacked when on the verge of promotion and having broken several performance records at the club (43 games un beaten was one)

• Advertisement
Advertisement