Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAMSAT 2014?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tk09aag

NCOL wrote: »
    Hey did pharmacy in UCC hoping the points don't change too drastically for GEM there this year! Where have you applied for?

Cool! I did pharmacy too! Doing my pre reg now! Yeah I hope so too, it'd be good if they drop by a point or two. What are your predictions?

I have applied to rcsi, ucd, ucc and UL but I don't think I'll make rcsi or ucc lol.
    How about you? Where have you applied?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 NCOL

tk09aag wrote: »
    Cool! I did pharmacy too! Doing my pre reg now! Yeah I hope so too, it'd be good if they drop by a point or two. What are your predictions?

I have applied to rcsi, ucd, ucc and UL but I don't think I'll make rcsi or ucc lol.
    How about you? Where have you applied?

Good luck with the pre-reg exam! I've applied to the same and once the scores don't increase too much I'll have enough for any of them but UCC is my first choice! Fingers crossed they'll decrease though!

Just a quick question re documents required. I sent in colour photocopies of my parchment will these be accepted? And as it is in Latin do I need to get a certified translation?!

Just a quick question re documents required. I sent in colour photocopies of my parchment will these be accepted? And as it is in Latin do I need to get a certified translation?!

I would phone them tomorrow and ask! I really don't know. Sorry! :/

Good luck with the pre-reg exam! I've applied to the same and once the scores don't increase too much I'll have enough for any of them but UCC is my first choice! Fingers crossed they'll decrease though!

Thanks mate! I am really starting to panic about it! Haha. What was your GAMSAT score if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement

Thanks mate! I am really starting to panic about it! Haha. What was your GAMSAT score if you don't mind me asking?

Definitely don't panic! It's not as bad as the GAMSAT! Don't mind at all. Scored a 59.

Definitely don't panic! It's not as bad as the GAMSAT! Don't mind at all. Scored a 59.

Thanks! That's a good score, you'll defiantly get in :).

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kanurocks

Can anyone tell me when the respective GEM courses will start?? Are we talking early September??

kanurocks wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me when the respective GEM courses will start?? Are we talking early September??

Going on last years dates UCC would have registration August 18th and term would start September 1st. UL starts around the 8th of September and I've no idea about Dublin.

Going on last years dates UCC would have registration August 18th and term would start September 1st. UL starts around the 8th of September and I've no idea about Dublin.

I have just read that UCC will implement semesterisation and that term will start a week earlier. Not sure if this will affect the GEM course as it has three terms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

UCD starts on the 8th of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 federerisbetter

UCD starts on the 8th of September.

Is there orientation starting the week before on September 1st for GEM 1s / do you have to be there the week of the 1st?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Confused1987

For anyone going to UL there is an orientation day on the 1st of September and then term begins on the 8th!

Also again for any potential UL members, I was speaking to a woman, friend of a friend, today who owns a number of houses just outside the UL campus, apparently this is the nearest estate without actually being on campus. The place is called Milford Grange, and I have been assured that it is a really nice area and only a few student houses so not mental all the time.

Just wanted to gauge if there are people on this forum who would be interested in a house share. There are 5 bedrooms, 4 of which are double and one single. The double rooms are all €75 a week and the single is €70.

Im going to drive down from Dublin the next couple of weeks to have a look and take a few photos which will give a better idea, but from speaking to the landlord they seem to be very much so in demand and quite nice!

Early days as I said, but just would be good to have an idea for September and also live with other GEMs as the medical accom on campus is full!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Is there orientation starting the week before on September 1st for GEM 1s / do you have to be there the week of the 1st?

Orientation week is indeed the week before. I don't know anything about if/when GEMs are needed for any particular days of that week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Durf

For anyone going to UL there is an orientation day on the 1st of September and then term begins on the 8th!

Also again for any potential UL members, I was speaking to a woman, friend of a friend, today who owns a number of houses just outside the UL campus, apparently this is the nearest estate without actually being on campus. The place is called Milford Grange, and I have been assured that it is a really nice area and only a few student houses so not mental all the time.

Just wanted to gauge if there are people on this forum who would be interested in a house share. There are 5 bedrooms, 4 of which are double and one single. The double rooms are all €75 a week and the single is €70.

Im going to drive down from Dublin the next couple of weeks to have a look and take a few photos which will give a better idea, but from speaking to the landlord they seem to be very much so in demand and quite nice!

Early days as I said, but just would be good to have an idea for September and also live with other GEMs as the medical accom on campus is full!

Very early days yet... that being said i didnt realise all the UL medical accom on campus was gone - early bird etc.!

I am hoping for UL and have it as my first choice currently. However, I am trying to find more information on the relevance and impact, if any, of the variance between the degrees conferred upon UL and UCC Med/GEM graduates.

As i understand UL awards BM BS.

However UCC awards MB, BCh, BAO (as does RCSI + UCD and, incidentally, non GEM progs. TCD + NUI Galway)

(before someone points it out, i realise the equivalency between BM BS and MB BCh)

Dublin is not an option, both because of GAMSAT points and living expenses, but i am still debating UL or UCC as my number one. I have read on some forums that UL is GP focused, not sure if this is true and what that means to my training if i dont want to be a GP. Although, PBL sounds good to me and i really like UL's campus.

All that aside, does any body have real insight regarding the impact of NOT being awarded a BAO as part of ones initial degree? Is UL's training fundamentally different in this area? Does this limit ones career prospects and position amongst future colleagues?

Apologies for the overly long post, but there doesn't seem to be much dialogue on this point and i would appreciate peoples thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 DanKnev

Quoted from wikipedia - "The letters BAO stand for Baccalaureus in Arte Obstetricia (Bachelor of Obstetrics), a degree unique to Ireland which the Irish universities added in the 19th century as the legislation at the time insisted on a final examination in obstetrics. This third degree is an anachronism which is not registerable with the Irish Medical Council nor the British General Medical Council (GMC)."

DanKnev wrote: »
    Quoted from wikipedia - "The letters BAO stand for Baccalaureus in Arte Obstetricia (Bachelor of Obstetrics), a degree unique to Ireland which the Irish universities added in the 19th century as the legislation at the time insisted on a final examination in obstetrics. This third degree is an anachronism which is not registerable with the Irish Medical Council nor the British General Medical Council (GMC)."

Riiiight.... well that puts an end to that (misguided) tangent! Thanks DanKnev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

Can anyone confirm if RCSI has summer research positions open to GEM students to apply for (either paid or unpaid) and if gem students there generally do them? I can't get a straight answer on this from RCSI.

Also, is the laptop provided Mac or PC?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Blue_Zebra

kanurocks wrote: »

UCC registration/orientation is August 29th with classes "probably starting on September 1st" according to the admissions office.

Blue_Zebra wrote: »
    UCC registration/orientation is August 29th with classes "probably starting on September 1st" according to the admissions office.

GEM department confirmed those dates directly for UCC!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Cymini Sectores

Why don't they like every other college start on the 8th? I will be running on a very tight schedule with work (resignation) and moving from Dublin; if I end up in Cork, I'll have to attend a week later assuming classes start on 1st. Not a good start, for what is a very intensive course. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Breakingdante

For anyone sitting the GAMSAT this September in the UK I'm selling my GAMSAT notes. Check out my 'GAMSAT Complete Study Pack' ad on gumtree ( I am not allowed post URL on boards threads). It includes gradmed notes, guru method, loads of textbooks, books for sec2, loads of practice tests, etc.
    thanks & goodluck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Durf wrote: »
    Very early days yet... that being said i didnt realise all the UL medical accom on campus was gone - early bird etc.!

I am hoping for UL and have it as my first choice currently. However, I am trying to find more information on the relevance and impact, if any, of the variance between the degrees conferred upon UL and UCC Med/GEM graduates.

As i understand UL awards BM BS.

However UCC awards MB, BCh, BAO (as does RCSI + UCD and, incidentally, non GEM progs. TCD + NUI Galway)

(before someone points it out, i realise the equivalency between BM BS and MB BCh)

Dublin is not an option, both because of GAMSAT points and living expenses, but i am still debating UL or UCC as my number one. I have read on some forums that UL is GP focused, not sure if this is true and what that means to my training if i dont want to be a GP. Although, PBL sounds good to me and i really like UL's campus.

All that aside, does any body have real insight regarding the impact of NOT being awarded a BAO as part of ones initial degree? Is UL's training fundamentally different in this area? Does this limit ones career prospects and position amongst future colleagues?

Apologies for the overly long post, but there doesn't seem to be much dialogue on this point and i would appreciate peoples thoughts.

The exact formulation of letters has no relevance whatsoever. A doctor is a doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

letsdothis wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if RCSI has summer research positions open to GEM students to apply for (either paid or unpaid) and if gem students there generally do them? I can't get a straight answer on this from RCSI.

Also, is the laptop provided Mac or PC?

Thanks

Most definitely: http://rss.rcsi.ie/

GEM can readily get them, but they are 8 week projects and summer break is 9 weeks. You may want a proper break. They don't pay a huge amount, not much more than dole.

It's a windows laptop, probably HP. You don't have to use it if you have a preferred machine.

pc11 wrote: »
    The exact formulation of letters has no relevance whatsoever. A doctor is a doctor.

Thanks

DanKnev pointed out the same a few points earlier too. Seemed like a stupid thought pattern in hindsight, my mind ran off on a tangent without reading up properly! Although, there does seem to be a lot of negative commentary available about ULs course....but I quite like the course they offer

Sorry to change the subject, but does anyone know (can make an educated guess lol) what the GAMSAT cut offs could be! I'm sure this has been answered but I'm from Scotland and trying to see if I should start sorting things out :/

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭HopefulGEM

Sorry to change the subject, but does anyone know (can make an educated guess lol) what the GAMSAT cut offs could be! I'm sure this has been answered but I'm from Scotland and trying to see if I should start sorting things out :/

I doubt they will change much from round 0 of last year:)

HopefulGEM wrote: »
    I doubt they will change much from round 0 of last year:)

So they are not likely to go up are they? Sorry I know I'm being annoying :/

So they are not likely to go up are they? Sorry I know I'm being annoying :/

No your not:) I really doubt it as the percentile graphs are almost identical to last year and apparently the number of applicants are down this year.

• Advertisement

No your not:) I really doubt it as the percentile graphs are almost identical to last year and apparently the number of applicants are down this year.

Thank you! :) that's great news, I really hope they do stay the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭loopylulu

I just registered for GAMSAT UK 2014, 3 months to go. Am I mad ?
    I've been browsing this forum for the past 4-5 years but kept talking myself out of doing it, but I will regret it if I never try and I get so excited thinking about studying medicine. Anyone else going to do the test in the UK?

22 days until cao change of mind deadline... Ucd currently first but I'm starting to wonder about rcsi. Decisions decisions:/

22 days until cao change of mind deadline... Ucd currently first but I'm starting to wonder about rcsi. Decisions decisions:/

Know the feeling! Think I've the mind made up on UCD now though, finally. Still have to submit my parchment though...

Know the feeling! Think I've the mind made up on UCD now though, finally. Still have to submit my parchment though...

Yea I'm pretty sure it will be ucd for me too. But it's really exciting to think that at Christmas I could be starting one day a week in the hospitals with rcsi!

Yea I'm pretty sure it will be ucd for me too. But it's really exciting to think that at Christmas I could be starting one day a week in the hospitals with rcsi!

At Christmas you would be studying for exams at RCSI! I know what you mean though. Each has tiny plusses and minuses, it's hard to put anything between them.

• Advertisement

At Christmas you would be studying for exams at RCSI! I know what you mean though. Each has tiny plusses and minuses, it's hard to put anything between them.

Is it bad that ucds amazing jacuzzi has a major influence in me wanting to go there? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pharmacrunch

Can anyone point me in the direction as to where the fees cost are located on the UCC website? Cant make heads or tails of it !

Can anyone point me in the direction as to where the fees cost are located on the UCC website? Cant make heads or tails of it !

They don't have them published yet. The fees office told me on the phone that they had not heard of any increase from €15,580

Anyone else starting to having sleepless nights about this??? I've started telling people I'm doing this so now it feels very real and scary! Keep telling myself that you'll get that with a big life change but all the big questions (is this the right decision? Do I want to do this? Will I be able for it? Money??!) keep coming up...

Anyone from a non-science background willing to post about how they got through the first year? How many hours a week work goes into this? I'm heading for UCD but a student at the UL open day in November told me that she does 8 hours study a day outside of class time (her friends did look at her a bit strangely though...). What's realistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭RainBow_xo

Anyone else starting to having sleepless nights about this??? I've started telling people I'm doing this so now it feels very real and scary! Keep telling myself that you'll get that with a big life change but all the big questions (is this the right decision? Do I want to do this? Will I be able for it? Money??!) keep coming up...

Anyone from a non-science background willing to post about how they got through the first year? How many hours a week work goes into this? I'm heading for UCD but a student at the UL open day in November told me that she does 8 hours study a day outside of class time (her friends did look at her a bit strangely though...). What's realistic?

8 hours :confused::confused::confused: fml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pharmacrunch

They don't have them published yet. The fees office told me on the phone that they had not heard of any increase from €15,580

Oh I had in my head it was less than €15 k :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Oh I had in my head it was less than €15 k :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Jeez sorry that was supposed to be €14,580 - stupid phone!

Not quite sleepless nights but I know what you're saying. I've had all those things racing through my head the last few days. Have you not told anyone either? I've only told very close family and friends my plans - only said it to the family when I got the results!

I rationalised it a bit yesterday - I've been thinking/planning for this for the best part of 5 years. Now that it's all coming to a head I think it's normal to be anxious - what ever the work load you'll cope, hopefully the money will fall into place, if you have enough to get it you have enough to get through - so many current students have told me one of the hardest parts is getting in. Think about why you made the decision to do it in the first place and focus on that....but that's just my 2 cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 person78

loopylulu wrote: »
    I just registered for GAMSAT UK 2014, 3 months to go. Am I mad ?
    I've been browsing this forum for the past 4-5 years but kept talking myself out of doing it, but I will regret it if I never try and I get so excited thinking about studying medicine. Anyone else going to do the test in the UK?

I registered for GAMSAT UK the other day too. ACER have a new essay correction service; £10 for two essays, I'm interested to see what that'll be like!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Roger_that

Go to UCD... the craic is 90 and the hospitals are great (and both close to town)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mecci

Hi all

I'm sure fees were discussed on boards before but can't find the details for RCSI.

There's a link on their website to 2013/14 fees (presume this years' are similar).
    The graduate medicine tuition fees are €24,580 but there's €10,000 subtracted for 'NDP grant'.

Can anyone explain what the grant is and if we'd have had to apply before now? I had it in my head the fees for RCSI were far higher than the other colleges so wasn't considering it before now.

Change of mind?!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭RainBow_xo

Mecci wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm sure fees were discussed on boards before but can't find the details for RCSI.

There's a link on their website to 2013/14 fees (presume this years' are similar).
    The graduate medicine tuition fees are €24,580 but there's €10,000 subtracted for 'NDP grant'.

Can anyone explain what the grant is and if we'd have had to apply before now? I had it in my head the fees for RCSI were far higher than the other colleges so wasn't considering it before now.

Change of mind?!

I think that is the portion the HSE/government pay towards our fees (considering you are an EU applicant) and then we must pay the remainder. We do not have to apply for any grant as such. Please correct me if I am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 federerisbetter

I think there are additional fees associated with RCSI though - a €1,500 Capitation Fee and a €2,500 student contribution fee? Not sure about this so if someone was able to provide final total that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Poppy1314

I think it was said previously that EU fees for rcsi were €19k p/a..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sully29

The EU fees last year for RCSI were €16,940.

• Advertisement
Advertisement