Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAMSAT 2014?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mecci

Thanks for the RCSI info... that grant makes all the difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 federerisbetter

Sully29 wrote: »
    The EU fees last year for RCSI were €16,940.

Does that include all additional charges? (vaccination fee etc.?)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Poppy1314

I heard it was compulsory to buy a laptop from rcsi with all of their notes etc on it. Is there any truth to that does anybody know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Blue_Zebra

Poppy1314 wrote: »
    I heard it was compulsory to buy a laptop from rcsi with all of their notes etc on it. Is there any truth to that does anybody know?

They give you one you don't have to pay for it - well you pay for it as part of the fees but not separately.

Mecci wrote: »
    Thanks for the RCSI info... that grant makes all the difference!

The €16,940 is what you pay - the €10,000 NDP grant is already taken off.

The grant is given from the government to each of the grad entry medical schools so you don't even need to consider it really. The published fee is the price you pay.

Blue_Zebra wrote: »
    The €16,940 is what you pay - the €10,000 NDP grant is already taken off.

The grant is given from the government to each of the grad entry medical schools so you don't even need to consider it really. The published fee is the price you pay.

Thanks Blue Zebra, it's just weird that RCSI give the full breakdown of costs but the other colleges don't show cost before grant subtracted.

Happy days. Glad to have found this out before change of mind deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sully29

Im still unsure what you get for the ~€2000 more RCSI charge. I can understand why UCD was more desirable last year

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭HopefulGEM

Four days left until change of mind closes. What's everybody's final decision re first preference?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tk09aag

HopefulGEM wrote: »
    Four days left until change of mind closes. What's everybody's final decision re first preference?

Just to clarify, it doesn't really matter what you choose as first option or last option, uni allocation is based solely on gamsat?

So for example someone with a score of 60 will get an offer for his fourth choice over the person with a score of 50 whose first choice is the other person's fourth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭RainBow_xo

As much as I'd love to stay in Dublin, I wouldn't be able to afford it :(. UL it is for me. What about you?

tk09aag wrote: »
    Just to clarify, it doesn't really matter what you choose as first option or last option, uni allocation is based solely on gamsat?

So for example someone with a score of 60 will get an offer for his fourth choice over the person with a score of 50 whose first choice is the other person's fourth?

It totally matters what your first choice is. It's a supply and demand system. If your first choice is the same as most peoples then that uni will have the highest cutoff. Someone sitting on a 59 can put any of the 4 uni's as their first choice and get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

UCD for me - have stuck solidly with that choice for nearly a month!

Same here, rcsi fees are too high.

letsdothis wrote: »
    UCD for me - have stuck solidly with that choice for nearly a month!

Oh yea I agree with that! I guess I didn't explain myself well. I meant that if person X has a score of 60 and third choice is ucd say! And person Y has a score of 50 and first choice is UCD... Now say ucd had one place left, they would offer that person X, right?

Oh yea I agree with that! I guess I didn't explain myself well. I meant that if person X has a score of 60 and third choice is ucd say! And person Y has a score of 50 and first choice is UCD... Now say ucd had one place left, they would offer that person X, right?

Essentially what you're saying is true. But if person X has a score of 60 and UCD is their 3rd preference then they will probably have gotten either their 1st or 2nd choice in round 0 and the situation you describe won't be applicable. Unless that is RSCI and UCC jump to at least 61 which I dint think is going to happen.

Moral of the story list your choices in order of preference of where you want to go with 1 being the most preferred.

• Advertisement

Essentially what you're saying is true. But if person X has a score of 60 and UCD is their 3rd preference then they will probably have gotten either their 1st or 2nd choice in round 0 and the situation you describe won't be applicable. Unless that is RSCI and UCC jump to at least 61 which I dint think is going to happen.

Moral of the story list your choices in order of preference of where you want to go with 1 being the most preferred.

Oh yeah I understand that! And of course I have listed my choices in preference! What are your predictions on cut offs this year?

Oh yeah I understand that! And of course I have listed my choices in preference! What are your predictions on cut offs this year?

If only that crystal ball would work it's magic now!

Hoping for things to stay the same at worst.

If only that crystal ball would work it's magic now!

Hoping for things to stay the same at worst.

I hope so too man, doubt it'll be different! You got any information on number of grad med applicants? I know total is down from last year but that doesn't say much

And also anyone knows, if cao send all round 0 offers at once or is it through out the day or couple of days? And do you get an email if you get an offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sully29

I think the scores will be the same but there is a slim chance they may drop for a course. The percentile curve was slightly higher this year so making the assumption the number of GEP applicants is the same this year then a score e.g. 60 is 'worth' slightly more. The exact score required by each college is of course however dependent on applicants preferences.i.e lets say for no particular reason that 80 people with scores over 60 had UL as their 1st preference then UL cut-off would shoot up to 60+. Such a scenario (unlikely as it is) shows how 1st preference does matter.

The offers are made via email, on the website and via text message if you gave your mobile number. The offers are made at the same time. I remember for the leaving cert we got them early in the morning if my memory serves me.

• Advertisement

Sully29 wrote: »
    I think the scores will be the same but there is a slim chance they may drop for a course. The percentile curve was slightly higher this year so making the assumption the number of GEP applicants is the same this year then a score e.g. 60 is 'worth' slightly more. The exact score required by each college is of course however dependent on applicants preferences.i.e lets say for no particular reason that 80 people with scores over 60 had UL as their 1st preference then UL cut-off would shoot up to 60+. Such a scenario (unlikely as it is) shows how 1st preference does matter.

The offers are made via email, on the website and via text message if you gave your mobile number. The offers are made at the same time. I remember for the leaving cert we got them early in the morning if my memory serves me.

So what you are staying is, a score of 60 this year is better than a score of 60 last year? Then surely the cut offs will in general go up? Or have I completely miss understood the curve? Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Still in the system for a place on GEM, with UCD as first place. But between having no way to pay for it, and also getting a job, I won't be taking it up.

Up until now I have been wondering whether the 58 points I got would be enough for UCD, now that I won't be taking it, I bet it will be enough and I'll end up with a place?!

Anyways hopefully this will make it easier for someone else to get a place...

just-joe wrote: »
    Still in the system for a place on GEM, with UCD as first place. But between having no way to pay for it, and also getting a job, I won't be taking it up.

Up until now I have been wondering whether the 58 points I got would be enough for UCD, now that I won't be taking it, I bet it will be enough and I'll end up with a place?!

Anyways hopefully this will make it easier for someone else to get a place...

Could you not take out the loan? If your definitely not doing grad med you should cancel your cao now. Otherwise someone won't get their offer on August the 1st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

I guess the loan was the plan. But then rent, groceries, books, other bits and general living expenses... you can't really just walk straight into it.

I still have it in the back of my mind... but yeah I will probably withdraw soon.

So change of mind deadline has passed (I think) lol. What was everyone's uni choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RD/ID

1)RCSI
    2)UCD
    3)UCC
    5)UL

Oh and I scored 62 this year so pretty confident.

1) UCD
    2) RCSI
    3) UL
    4) UCC

Mecci wrote: »
    1) UCD
    2) RCSI
    3) UL
    4) UCC

This!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 NCOL

1) UCC
    2) UCD
    3) RCSI
    4) UL

Rcsi
    Ucd
    Ucc
    Ul

• Advertisement

UCC
    UL
    RSCI
    UCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

UL
    UCC

1) Ucd
    2) Rcsi
    3) Ucc
    4) UL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Cymini Sectores

1. RCSI
    2. UCD
    3. UCC
    4. UL

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Robgreen87

Hi Guys, I hope you are all enjoying the summer!

I got a 57 in the Gamsat in March and with CAO cut-offs around the corner, doubt is looming as I'm sure it is for many others (will it be enough for UL - my 1st choice)!!

In your opinions, do you think we are likely to see a jump in the cut-offs this year or do we believe they will stay relatively similar to the last year or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cathal1992

Relatively the same I would think. From what I've read/viewed, the curves for both the Irish GAMSAT and the UK Gamsat have been roughly the same for 2013 and 2014. On top of that, some have said that they have been told by the CAO that applications have fallen in comparison with last year. Although I can't account for the validity of that, if I was you I'd be fairly confident of obtaining a place in Limerick. I really can't see scores drastically jumping. They've remained constant/ slightly fallen for the last couple of years if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Lub

Robgreen87 wrote: »
    I got a 57 in the Gamsat in March and with CAO cut-offs around the corner, doubt is looming as I'm sure it is for many others (will it be enough for UL - my 1st choice)!!

In your opinions, do you think we are likely to see a jump in the cut-offs this year or do we believe they will stay relatively similar to the last year or two?

You have absolutely nothing to worry about with that score! I'm sitting on 55 and UL is also my first choice and I'm not worried in the slightest. (Hopefully my positivity doesn't come back to bite me in the arse, if it does I will hide from boards forever. :P )

Last year the round zero score for UL was 53, so even if it did go up a point or three you'd be fine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DroghedaTutor

anyone think 56 will be enough for a first round offer from UL? it's my first choice but i'm feeling nervous despite having more than last year's score ...

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kanurocks

http://www2.cao.ie/points/lvl8_13.pdf

UCC got as low as 54 and UL stayed at 53. Hope this helps people out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Confused1987

With general applications down and loans less available then one would hope that they will stay the same at worst. Mad things can always happen but it would make statistical sense for the results to stay roughly the same, this is from the information that we have!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kanurocks

With general applications down and loans less available then one would hope that they will stay the same at worst. Mad things can always happen but it would make statistical sense for the results to stay roughly the same, this is from the information that we have!

I'm just hoping for no nasty surprises... Cork would do me just fine 😃

Still doesn't stop me from being horrifically anxious... It's like the LC of 2006 all over again 😝

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Confused1987

kanurocks wrote: »
    I'm just hoping for no nasty surprises... Cork would do me just fine ðŸ˜႒

Still doesn't stop me from being horrifically anxious... It's like the LC of 2006 all over again ðŸ˜

I am the exact same, I'm only on a 53 but really happy I only had to do the exam once and am praying I don't have to again, don't know if I could handle it! Sure all will be told in just over 20 days!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Gonna put this here again, for anyone that didn't see, as it makes for a handy comparison.
    Bear in mind that most of these were marked as *, so went to random selection. Also, this want Round 0, so the points for offers went down in at least a few cases.

oacrGSn.png

Does anybody know dates for UCD orientation? Is it just a day or more?

letsdothis wrote: »
    Does anybody know dates for UCD orientation? Is it just a day or more?

It will be sometime between the 1st-5th of September ! It's always generally the week before the Semester starts, and that starts on the 8th of September ! They'll probably release exact Orientation date in early/mid August ! *Edit - It's one day as far as I remember from my undergrad

• Advertisement

Cathal1992 wrote: »
    It will be sometime between the 1st-5th of September ! It's always generally the week before the Semester starts, and that starts on the 8th of September ! They'll probably release exact Orientation date in early/mid August ! *Edit - It's one day as far as I remember from my undergrad

Last year it was the wed, thurs and Friday of the week before classes start

HopefulGEM wrote: »
    Last year it was the wed, thurs and Friday of the week before classes start

For GEM students or are those the dates for all courses? Looking forward to it either way !

Cathal1992 wrote: »
    For GEM students or are those the dates for all courses? Looking forward to it either way !

That was for gems, I've a mate who just finished first year who told me that:)

22 days until offers, the last 10 days have seemed like a year:/

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DroghedaTutor

Tell me about it. I keep checking the calendar in the hope the time has passed. I am also hoping 56 gets me a place at UL. Oh lord, to go through all this and not get an offer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement