Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General understanding of psychic ability

Options
  • 26-04-2013 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Without looking to start a massive argument, I am keen to ask people to share their understanding of what psychic ability and mediumship is.

I'm a newbie to this forum, but I'm also an experienced psychic medium - and having read a lot of the existing threads, there seems to be a lot of comments from clients enquiring about fortune-telling... and more worrying still comments from users about "psychics" that have claimed to predict their future...

While it can be communicated as fortune-telling, it's only ever "future potential" that's even possible during a psychic (reading your energy) reading ie. you have the potential to write a book. But if you do nothing about it, nothing will happen.

I've even seen comments on here about "psychics" predicting peoples' finances, illnesses and most shockingly of all - deaths! And charging RIDICULOUS money for the privilege. Really?

This is not the purpose of true psychic ability and/or mediumship... Neither is asking questions of a client, or making ambiguous statements such as Barnum statements eg. He was a quiet man, but he could also be the centre of attention at times.

So, while it's definitely eye-opening that this kind of service is accepted amongst people as the norm - it's also rather shocking (but not really surprising) to a medium like myself that there are "psychics" working with so few ethics, and that people buy into it, as it's such a misunderstood and controversial subject matter in Ireland.

And I repeat, I am a medium! I am not a sceptic!

This thread is not to try and discredit any readers, but to encourage clients to expect a certain level of ethical evidence, and not accept rubbish and label it "psychic ability" or "mediumship".

Best wishes!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Hello there Medium, and welcome to Boards. I, personally take all of that stuff with a pinch of salt, for a number of reasons. But I admire the candid fashion in which you write about your own vocation (I guess that's what I could call it, right?). Anyway, I think that someone reading another person's energy can be quite a positive thing, as long as people are careful with the results. One of the reasons I stay away from all of this however is that I am very obsessional about things and that I know I will only become too preoccupied with what I am told. But yes, this is a good idea for a thread. So I hope it doesn't descend into sniping now!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 iMedium

Hello there Medium, and welcome to Boards. I, personally take all of that stuff with a pinch of salt, for a number of reasons. But I admire the candid fashion in which you write about your own vocation (I guess that's what I could call it, right?). Anyway, I think that someone reading another person's energy can be quite a positive thing, as long as people are careful with the results. One of the reasons I stay away from all of this however is that I am very obsessional about things and that I know I will only become too preoccupied with what I am told. But yes, this is a good idea for a thread. So I hope it doesn't descend into sniping now!

Thanks Stereomaniac!

I suppose I'm comparing the understanding of mediumship in Ireland to that of mediumship in other countries, where it is more readily accessible and more freely accepted - it creates a certain level of acceptable standards. Whereas from what I see when I work in Ireland, any clown can buy a deck of angel cards, charge €50 a reading and predict a person's future - and call it "psychic" or "mediumship" - and it's most definitely not!

... Also, please let me explain that I am not saying that every medium has to be at a certain level of accuracy, with every client, every time - I have given truly awful and vague readings myself at time over the years! But an ethical medium will recognise that the connection isn't there, stop the reading and refuse payment - as not every medium is right for every client, and there can be literally hundreds of reasons why it's just not meant to be...

So for clients out there - expect a certain level of service from readers by understanding what it is you're actually paying for, and if it doesn't match up to it - don't be embarrassed into paying anyway!

A "psychic" will only ever maintain their reputation as a psychic/medium while their clients let them... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

Hi op,
    Sounds like you trying to get some advertising ?

Hi op,
    Sounds like you trying to get some advertising ?

Well, no...

No-one knows who I am on here and I don't live in Ireland; I just happen to work there a lot.

Honestly, I'm just making a point of asking everyone what their thoughts are.

There are lots of reputable mediums in Ireland, there are! But... I'm very surprised at peoples' experiences shared on this forum that are accepted as "psychic" or "mediumship" readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

There is no advertising allowed in this forum. But every post you start by saying i'm a psychic and medium.

If you work here then in Ireland then you obviously touting for business.

• Advertisement

There is no advertising allowed in this forum. But every post you start by saying i'm a psychic and medium.

If you work here then in Ireland then you obviously touting for business.

Good luck trying to start a war of words with me, dear! It won't happen... But you're wrong by the way.

I do keep reiterating I'm a medium because if I didn't, people would assume I'm a sceptic. I can see exactly where sceptics are coming with their comments...

The vast majority of clients don't understand what the service is that they're paying for, and the vast majority of mediums in Ireland are mis-selling psychic ability and mediumship as fortune-telling to meet the demands of what the client wants.

You can't have spiritualism without mediumship, but you can definitely have mediumship without spiritualism (responsibility and ethics) - and that's a dreadful shame... Because these mediums make it so easy for sceptics to tar us all with the one brush!

I'm trying to encourage people to learn more about mediumship so that they have realistic expectations before going to see a reader, and feel that try are getting the service they are paying for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭D.Campbell

you know lady I take total offense by the way you speak of us IRISH, cut it out NOW we dont need any one to come in here and speak to us like that thank you.

D.Campbell wrote: »
    you know lady I take total offense by the way you speak of us IRISH, cut it out NOW we dont need any one to come in here and speak to us like that thank you.

First of all, I'm a man - not a lady, and second of all I AM Irish - I just don't live in Ireland anymore. I moved away years ago, but come home a lot to visit.

Spiritualism and the Irish peoples' understanding of spiritualism IS less than that of other countries - and it's because of Ireland's strong Catholic faith and the lack of available resources to educate people:

Ireland has 2 full time spiritualist centres offering spiritualist services. IRELAND, not DUBLIN - IRELAND as a whole! 2!

Glasgow, as a city, for example has 40! Greater London has 100+.

I started this thread to ask people what their understanding of psychic ability and mediumship was. Given that a lot of people on this forum truly believe that "fortune-telling" is part of a psychic reading, this shows that there IS a lack of understanding, as a quick Google search will give you many resources to explain how it is not.

You're choosing to miss the point of what I'm trying to explain, however much you don't appreciate my delivery...

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭lucky333

Spiritualism and the Irish peoples' understanding of spiritualism IS less than that of other countries - and it's because of Ireland's strong Catholic faith and the lack of available resources to educate people:

Completely agree...
    (Although there are 4 spiritualist churches in Ireland as far as I know, Dublin kildare cork and Belfast) it's a shame there's not more

Advertisement