Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the odds of a false positive test?

Options
  • 26-04-2013 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭

Me and the girlfriend have been trying for a baby the past ten months now.

She decided to take a test yesterday as being more then a week late she was curious. We kinda just ignored it this month as it happened the month before as well she was late by a few days.

So the first test she took was one of those ultra sensitive tests you buy online the strips straight away positive and yes we double checked it about twenty times lol.

Later in the day she bought a clearblue test and it said Pregnant 3+ !!

So after months of being told no all the time etc etc it still does not feel real to me yet im just afraid when she goes to the doc shes gonna be told ya you where wrong again....

Is it even possible to get two false positives ??

Ive read the odds of this happening is like 1 in 500,000 or more but i guess until its confirmed im on edge :pac:.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening and it was nothing ?? Please just tell me i am worrying over nothing lol!!.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

Gosh the chances of that happening are TINY, as long as you didn't wait too long to read the tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Pregnancy test work by detecting levels of Hgc hormone. No hormone no pregnancy so docs say a false positive is highly unlikely .
    So congrats and best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Ericaa wrote: »
    Gosh the chances of that happening are TINY, as long as you didn't wait too long to read the tests.

No she checked it right away on both occasions.

I know im panicking over nothing here i imagine just two of us want this really bad and still kinda have this awful feeling theres someone waiting to take it away again lol.

Lisha wrote: »
    Pregnancy test work by detecting levels of Hgc hormone. No hormone no pregnancy so docs say a false positive is highly unlikely .
    So congrats and best of luck :)

Thank you. Just finding everything hard to believe at the moment all new to us and guess so used to seeing it happen for other people actually felt would take forever to get to this stage myself.

No she checked it right away on both occasions.

I know im panicking over nothing here i imagine just two of us want this really bad and still kinda have this awful feeling theres someone waiting to take it away again lol.

Awww, I know what it's like to be worried, (not that I've been in the same position as you, but I gave birth seven months ago so the normal worries are still fresh in my mind!)

Maybe when a doctor confirms the pregnancy it'll hit you that it's actually happening.

Congratulations :)

• Advertisement

Awww, I know what it's like to be worried, (not that I've been in the same position as you, but I gave birth seven months ago so the normal worries are still fresh in my mind!)

Maybe when a doctor confirms the pregnancy it'll hit you that it's actually happening.

The sooner the better i hear it confirmed by someone else because im trying stay positive but i cant help being nervous about it at same time :P.

Thank u by the way :).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭daheff

Out dr told us that the over the counter tests are as accurate as anything she could do.

Looks like u did it...congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Thank you. Just finding everything hard to believe at the moment all new to us and guess so used to seeing it happen for other people actually felt would take forever to get to this stage myself.

All you can do is take one day at a time I'm afraid .
    Go to gp and they will usually confirm with a blood test .
    Then deciede on public/private maternity care.
    IMHO public is great coupled with gp visits
    I found the book 'what to expect When expecting' great for healthy tips
    Best of luck I really hope all goes well for you both

daheff wrote: »
    Out dr told us that the over the counter tests are as accurate as anything she could do.

Oh I know that :)
    I think for some people it's more reassuring to have a medical person confirm it for them, rather then peeing on a stick at home :P

Thanks everyone!!

Just a mad feeling and i imagine its gonna get even crazier over next few weeks !!

Girlfriend was meant go doctor today but they told her ring back Monday morning so these couple of days are a bitch :pac:.

• Advertisement

Oh I know that :)
    I think for some people it's more reassuring to have a medical person confirm it for them, rather then peeing on a stick at home :P

Thats kinda how i feel about it lol. Got used to doctors telling me straight out for years now for all kinds of different things so i guess until i hear it it wont sink in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Two false positives is unlightly ......so congrats

I had one negative result with an over the counter pregnancy tests and I was still pregnant. My period was due but two weeks later and I did a pregnancy test - it was still negative. But thankfully I was pregnant. A long wait after 8 years. Some people get pregnant very quickly but for others it's not so easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Apparently, you can't get a false positive so it looks good.

Also, when I got pregnant I went to the GP and told him I had 3 positive tests and he said he didn't need to do one of his own. The tests are sensitive enough. Maybe do one more in the morning so you can put your mind at ease. Your doc might not even need to give one! :)

Glad i asked this on here now :D :pac:

Thanks everyone!!.

Advertisement