Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

forgotten petrol stations

Options
  • 26-04-2013 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Hi guys does any one know of any long closed down garages in dublin. Pics would greatly apreciatated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

There used to be a Shell station on the corner of Adelaide Road and Harcourt Street, where Starbucks is now. I've no pictures of it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Woodbine service station, the Maxol beside the Montrose hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

There was a petrol station on Ballyfermot Rd just after Sarsfield Rd.

Land cleared to build apartments but it never happened.

Just wasteground now, sometimes used for knacker drinking and starting small fires!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Does anyone remember the Shell garage in dun laoghaire where Easons is now

stehyl15 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the Shell garage in dun laoghaire where Easons is now

Yes, one of the few occasions where something decent was actually built on a former station site!

A few more:

The Texaco on the N11 almost opposite Oatlands school, again was levelled to build apartments but now trades as a car sales garage.

The Texaco on the Churchtown road, across from the Bottle Tower pub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Then there was the texaco in cabinteely closed about 10 years ago where that urbun place is now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

Here's a list of closed stations. Some of them were probably duplicated on the site and were just put in there.

http://www.pumps.ie/findClosedStations.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Why is this tread in the Rip Off Ireland section?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Moved to Dublin city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

There was a petrol station in Clontarf thats gone a long time. It was beside Clontarf Garda Station. Its the food room now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there used to be the 'yellow garage' in terenure where gerry caffrey is now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

252445.jpg

What used this be?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

This was a petrol station on Nutgrove avenue iirc, I think a Texaco. Gone years now, just down the road this was also a Texaco I think, closed in the last few years

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

donvito99 wrote: »

What used this be?

Archer's Garage, it was a Ford dealership back in the day.

There was a Shell on Wilton Place.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,914 ✭✭✭✭L1011

One on Tara Street from memory, and the one beside the Skylon.

The main reason a lot are still empty is there's a very long time required after closing before the site can be redeveloped, a lot were sold in the boom and it was over before the time elapsed. Some that were closed ended up reopening as those dodgy as hell stations that suddenly closed again when a major fuel laundry was found, so that'll have reset the counter and they'll likely be derelict for another decade+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

on dorset street opposite the flats, just a carpark now as a redevelopment fell through
    petrol station on the north circular towards phoenix park
    petrol station on blackall place/manor street -now appartments and bike shop
    petrol station riund the corner from kevin street police station - donnellys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

yoyo wrote: »
    This was a petrol station on Nutgrove avenue iirc, I think a Texaco. Gone years now, just down the road this was also a Texaco I think, closed in the last few years

Nick

The 1st one was a ESSO for years.

Also there was a Shell on Braemor Road/Churchtown now a car sales and car wash was left lying for a good many years.
    Most stations as said above were closed for development(apartments) and Nama owns most now.

The old Shell garage across from the Mosque in Clonskeagh, now being operated as a very successful (by all accounts) hand car wash.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

The 1st one was a ESSO for years.

Also there was a Shell on Braemor Road/Churchtown now a car sales and car wash was left lying for a good many years.
    Most stations as said above were closed for development(apartments) and Nama owns most now.

Esso it was! Knew Texaco didn't sound right, it must be gone many years now, remember it as a kid :)

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Esso it was! Knew Texaco didn't sound right, it must be gone many years now, remember it as a kid :)

Nick

I miss them sort of station because they were dead easy to get in and out of and the canopy covered the whole court so stayed dry in are usual wet weather. Not like most that re opened with only small canopies.

I should know of more use to pay them all a visit over the years and worked in the Texaco at the bottle tower. I would have loved to opened that again if I had of had the money. It was a great lay out and only problem I had was there was only the brush wash.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Used to be one years ago in Glasthule village......think it's a car dealership now.

Grid. wrote: »
    Used to be one years ago in Glasthule village......think it's a car dealership now.
    You are right there but the car's seem to be gone off it the last while so I think the recession has taken another victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Shell garage in Kilbarrack at Des Mahonys. Texaco on the coast road .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Shell garage in Kilbarrack at Des Mahonys. Texaco on the coast road .

The Texaco may just be reopening as a maxol very soon !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Howth sutton peninsula used to be 4 stations. Shell & esso in sutton, texaco & statoil in howth. Now theres none. The shell is now 2 houses & offices, the esso a 2nd hand car shop. texaco a derelict market site & statoil a nama owned garden shop & dog grooming parlour. Seems most of the stations in this city were destined to be apartment blocks.

There was a Station in portmarnock think used to be jet & joe fallon motors now a funneral home

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

There used to be one of the Crumlin road next to a massive snooker club, both gone now and still nothing new built there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

texaco at blackrock clinic

windsor in raheny used to have pumps

there was one on parnell road in harolds cross/crumlin that has since reopened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

There was one on Upper Rathmines Road, sort of triangular site at the junction of York Rd (?). Site is derelict now. saw some lads in there a year or so ago taking samples off the ground for tests for pollution.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Hammertime wrote: »
    The Texaco may just be reopening as a maxol very soon !

Is it not gone altogether?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Is it not gone altogether?

The site is still empty. The shop is still there, but the pumps and canopy are gone

Advertisement