Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new jack russell

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

So did you go the rescue route in the end, or did you find a good breeder? How old? Very cute x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

VERY cute - thanks for posting the photos :D Theres lots of brown spotting on its coat underneath - will be lovely when its mature

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

What a cutie!! Love Jack Russells!! :D awwwwwwww

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

ISDW wrote: »
    So did you go the rescue route in the end, or did you find a good breeder? How old? Very cute x

I bought him of a breeder in cavan, was a bit of a trip but it was worth it. He is roughly 3 months old. He has settled in very well, He's chewing everything round the house :D

His father had a lot of them brown spots all over his body to.

Quick question here lads: The vet said don't let him on the sofa as he should be kept on ground level? Thing is he loves the sofa and is howling at me to let him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

carzony wrote: »
    The vet said don't let him on the sofa as he should be kept on ground level? Thing is he loves the sofa and is howling at me to let him up.
    Probably from a safety point of view id say. But, start as you mean to go on. If he wont be allowed on the couch when he's older don't let him on the couch now. I can't stress enough how much "consistency" is vital to bringing up a well adjusted dog. If you let him up, just keep an eye on him, its a fair height to fall when you're that small :p

Oh and welcome to the forum. You'll be here a lot :D

• Advertisement

anniehoo wrote: »
    Probably from a safety point of view id say. But, start as you mean to go on. If he wont be allowed on the couch when he's older don't let him on the couch now. I can't stress enough how much "consistency" is vital to bringing up a well adjusted dog. If you let him up, just keep an eye on him, its a fair height to fall when you're that small :p

No it wasnt a safety point, She said somthing about keeping him ground level so he knows he's not the leader of the pack and stuff like that? Apparently by keeping him from the sofa he knows who the boss is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

She said somthing about keeping him ground level so he knows he's not the leader of the pack and stuff like that?
    Never heard the like before, although im open to correction. I failed miserably as an owner then because my dog was allowed both on the couch and in the bed. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No it wasnt a safety point, She said somthing about keeping him ground level so he knows he's not the leader of the pack and stuff like that? Apparently by keeping him from the sofa he knows who the boss is?

Oh dear, not one of those types of backward outdated attitudes to dog ownership again.

It's absolute nonsense about the whole pack leader thing.

My Rottie is sitting on my chair beside me as I type and I have no issues with either of mine both of which sit on my couch regularly.
    That whole attitude is outdated so I wouldn't take any heed of it.
    If you don't mind it being there in the future then it won't be an issue. But if you would prefer it was never going to be on the couch then start as you mean to go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Although good luck at keeping a jack off the most comfortable spot in the room.

If soft furnishings are ever outlawed jrts will be the ideal 'sniffer' dogs for finding any smugglers.

Lovely pup OP.

andreac wrote: »
    Oh dear, not one of those types of backward outdated attitudes to dog ownership again.

It's absolute nonsense about the whole pack leader thing.

My Rottie is sitting on my chair beside me as I type and I have no issues with either of mine both of which sit on my couch regularly.
    That whole attitude is outdated so I wouldn't take any heed of it.
    If you don't mind it being there in the future then it won't be an issue. But if you would prefer it was never going to be on the couch then start as you mean to go on.[/Q

Saying that, I let the mother bring him to the vet, Maybe shes telling a few 'stories' so I don't let him on the nice new sofa :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

My little Yorkshire Terrier is tucked in beside me on the couch, because the cat got in his bed first.

As for being the boss, he knows its me - or sometimes the cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

Vets seem to know about health for dogs and nothing after that.

Some seem to know less about dogs other than their health than your average owner.

And some are just wrong and sell food from their place that they say is best when it is not just to make money.

Ask a vet if you need a doctor for your dog but don't expect them to tell you everything you need to know about owning a dog.

Lovely dog.Enjoy.

I would clip those nails soon.just the tips.

Dodd wrote: »
    Vets seem to know about health for dogs and nothing after that.

Some seem to know less about dogs other than their health than your average owner.

And some are just wrong and sell food from their place that they say is best when it is not just to make money.

Ask a vet if you need a doctor for your dog but don't expect them to tell you everything you need to know about owning a dog.

Lovely dog.Enjoy.

I would clip those nails soon.just the tips.

Funny you say that he has an appointment with a dog groomer on monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Many many congratulations on your new arrival. JRTs are the best little dogs (though of course as far as they are concerned they are not little at all). Regarding letting him up on the couch it is entirely up to you as to how you want your life with him to go. My little lady not only is allowed on the couch but insists on being on my lap but having said that I wouldn't have it any other way. There is nothing nicer in my opinion than lying on the sofa reading a good book and being used as a dog bed. :)

A friend of mine has her JRT well trained and he knows not even to consider getting up on the furniture and is very happy to hop into his bed and watch the telly from there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Funny you say that he has an appointment with a dog groomer on monday.

Which vaccinations did he have at the vets yesterday, was it the first, or the last booster? Does the groomer know that he has only just had his vaccs? If they have other dogs in there, waiting to be groomed, it may be better to wait a week or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

Used to have jack russels when I was younger and every time I see someone getting one I want one again. They have such great personalities. Some day when I have the space I'll have one again.

Good luck with him oh and watch your electrical leads (chew toys)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

pawrick wrote: »
    Used to have jack russels when I was younger and every time I see someone getting one I want one again. They have such great personalities. Some day when I have the space I'll have one again.

Good luck with him oh and watch your electrical leads (chew toys)!

Electrical leads and shoes (and light on a kindle and socks...I have no pairs of socks left...)

ISDW wrote: »
    Which vaccinations did he have at the vets yesterday, was it the first, or the last booster? Does the groomer know that he has only just had his vaccs? If they have other dogs in there, waiting to be groomed, it may be better to wait a week or two.

His first injections, Actually that's a good point I never even thought to tell them that:rolleyes:, I'll give them a bell and probably wait it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

What a lovely little fella. Our Jack Russell went to doggie heaven a few months back. Really miss him, the place ain't the same.
    Still, he was about 15, so if want to keep him off the couch, teach him now. :-)

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    What a lovely little fella. Our Jack Russell went to doggie heaven a few months back. Really miss him, the place ain't the same.
    Still, he was about 15, so if want to keep him off the couch, teach him now. :-)
    Sorry your dog passed but the fact you will miss him it says to me that he did hes job and so did you.

You can always replace a dog with another dog of the same type and looks but you can never replace that character.

• Advertisement

I was just wondering is it normal for these little dogs to be so 'bitey' I have him beside me on the sofa and all he seems to wanna do is bite my coat and when I give him a rub he chews my hands which was ok but he's starting to really bite down on me, I was wearing a heavy jacket earlier and I could feel him biting as hard as he could on my arm and now he's starting to growl while he is doing it.. Also I know he is very young but he seems to be trying to hump my arm??

Funny thing is he does it with me but with noone else??

He is just finding out what he can get away with.
    You need to tell him loud no or ahh if he bits.
    Just try tell him what he needs to know as they want to please you and they bite you as they would a brother or sister playing and don't know they hurt you.

So say ahh......No........... and leave the pup for a while so it knows it did wrong.

Also you could get him chewy toys if he is teething.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

would say its a mixture of playing and also teething.

what age is he - you will notice that he is loosing baby teeth about 3-4 months onwards. Biting will be part of that process. You could get him some rubber rings/toys that he can chew down on.

the growling when hes biting, is play - you could get him some old socks or something to play tug of war with etc. ALways think its so cute to see a tiny terrier attacking a sock and growling like mad!

Its a compliment that he is only biting you - he's bonded with you :D

and yes, saying NO when hes hurting you...

(miss all that puppy stuff :o)

aonb wrote: »

the growling when hes biting, is play - you could get him some old socks or something to play tug of war with etc. ALways think its so cute to see a tiny terrier attacking a sock and growling like mad!

That's exactly what I have been doing with him, I did it with my other dog to, They seem to love it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

That's exactly what I have been doing with him, I did it with my other dog to, They seem to love it :D

Ice cubes are also great for the teething stage. I used also wet a facecloth and freeze it - great for your puppy to chew on. Beautiful JRT, hope you have many happy days with him.

Advertisement