Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what exactly does TY involve?

• 26-04-2013 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I applied for TY last month,done an interview and got accepted but honestly i dont know what im getting into,people are telling me its basically a year where you do feck all and some are telling me you do loads.Im honestly lost and one more thing,do you have many books to carry?im sick of those feckin giant textbooks in my bag.I've already ruptured a disc in my back from carrying that bag.
    Im not sure if its just my school but all i ever really see is Ty's walking around the school doing nothing.
    Can someone who's doing TY or has done it clear this up for me?
    much appreciated :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

I applied for TY last month,done an interview and got accepted but honestly i dont know what im getting into,people are telling me its basically a year where you do feck all and some are telling me you do loads.Im honestly lost and one more thing,do you have many books to carry?im sick of those feckin giant textbooks in my bag.I've already ruptured a disc in my back from carrying that bag.
    Im not sure if its just my school but all i ever really see is Ty's walking around the school doing nothing.
    Can someone who's doing TY or has done it clear this up for me?
    much appreciated :)
    It all depends on what school u r in. In my school, they offered close to fúck all for us. I'be hated 4th year as the teachers don't care and we have free classes all day. I've honestly considered moving school over TY. If we even did some amount of work, it could help us with 5th year but now our brains are turned to mush and some people are screwed. Luckily, I bothered my àss and did my own study (sounds depressing but at least I'm doing something). The principal gave us a huge speech about the vast amount of work we will cover and that no one will be bored but that all went down the toilet after a week. Some people actually got involved with some projects but the projects didn't appeal to me so I let it slide. Hopefully your Ty experience will be a whole lot better than my catastrophe. Good luck!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

You get what you put into it really. Volunteer and do as many things as you can do, maybe learn a bit of the Leaving Cert course by yourself or learn something extra-curricular like the guitar or a language etc. Consider your options for college too. I did TY a couple of years ago and it's decent in my school. TY most certainly helped the majority of us, especially personality wise as we went around and did the activities offered to us yet there was also a select few who did absolutely f*ck all and really shouldn't have done TY.

We didn't need textbooks and TY although we had a copy for each subject and since I didn't bother with renting a locker in TY or changing the copies I needed for the day at home, my bag was actually pretty heavy! :pac: Don't base your decision on that though, just get yourself a locker! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Hello 1996

Im just after finishing TY and without a doubt, it has been the best year of my school life by far! It is a year where you have endless opportunities available and a great chance to mature. It also gives you a taster of different subjects available in 5th year, which really helps with your subject choices. You also get to go on work experience, which looks great on your CV and will give you an advantage over those who went straight on to 5th year!

However, you only get out of TY what you put in. There was people in my year who sat down at the computer and went on Twitter every day, instead of doing projects, etc. Suffice to say, they have gained nothing from TY... Be aware that these are the people who say TY is a doss year! DO NOT LISTEN!!

Advertisement