Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barber/men's hairdresser jobs in Oz?

Options
  • 26-04-2013 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

hello,
    Anyone working or know of friends/family working in Australia as a barber/men's hairdresser?
    what is life/wages as a barber like in oz?
    I have a barber shop in Dublin and I am looking at moving over to oz in January 2014.
    I have just received my w.h.v online also today.
    I have no set location in oz as of yet but thinking northern territory. thanks,john Mc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

hello,
    Anyone working or know of friends/family working in Australia as a barber/men's hairdresser?
    I have a barber shop in Dublin and I am looking at moving over to oz in January 2014.
    I have no set location in oz as of yet but thinking northern territory. thanks,john Mc.

Once when I got my hair cut in Melbourne I queried why it was 30 dollars for a mens cut, I was informed by the hipster barbers that they have to train for FOUR!! years in order to be qualified!! I had to laugh, how can it take 4 years to cut hair.. it's a bit of a scam as it means they can charge so much for haircuts there..

• Registered Users Posts: 10 johnmcnamara87

wow that is quite expensive!! i had to actually get my own haircut one Christmas eve and i was charged 24 euro in peter mark Dublin!madness!
    4 years is quite a while training! it all depends on the individual learning in my opinion. I knew within the 1st month whether barbering was for me. so its half the battle if you enjoy it!i was just under 2 years training and i have had no complaints so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

wow that is quite expensive!! i had to actually get my own haircut one Christmas eve and i was charged 24 euro in peter mark Dublin!madness!
    4 years is quite a while training! it all depends on the individual learning in my opinion. I knew within the 1st month whether barbering was for me. so its half the battle if you enjoy it!i was just under 2 years training and i have had no complaints so far!

I'd do a bit of research and find out whether they'd hire someone from Ireland with no '4 year qualification'.. if they go on about it then maybe you can prove yourself to them by showing them your skills

best of luck anyway, hope it goes well for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

hello,

Hey John,

Having the WHV will allow you to check out different areas. NT can be a harsh climate with the humidity.

That said, for your information, if you are looking to set up a business, there is a business visa that you may be eligible to apply for and it leads to permanent residency for you (and your family).

Might be something to consider if things are working out for you.
    There are various consitions that need to be met in terms of past revenues, assets etc and future plans.

Regards,
    Declan Clune

• Registered Users Posts: 10 johnmcnamara87

Thanks Declan, i will look into that .cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement