Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Eircom issuing new routers?

Options
  • 26-04-2013 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi, I live a housing estate and I'm able to pick up my neighbours' SSIDs through my wireless reciever. Everyone here is Vodafone, Eircom or Sky and my SSID checker shows what type of routers they have.

A few years ago, everyone had the Netopia router which has a max rate of 54. Then in 2011, people started getting Zyxel router which also has a max rate of 54. Today, however, I noticed one of my neighbours has a new router from eircom with a max rate of 300, but it doesn't say the vendor, so I can't research it.

It has an Eircom SSID so I presume the router was supplied from yous. My area won't be upgraded to fiber until December, so it can't be a fiber router, can it?

Another thing I should mention is, this router's radio type is 'n' as opposed to the 'g' radio type on the other eircom routers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

They started supplying a wireless n modem for a few months ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Danny Edwards

Baneblade wrote: »
    They started supplying a wireless n modem for a few months ago
    Ah, right. Do you know of the make?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭IsMiseDaithair

Eircom have started to send out a new Zyxel modem in the last few weeks. I got one and the wireless is much better.
    I got one as i had an older zyxel and the guy I was speaking to on the phone just send he would send it out to replace the older model.

Eircom have started to send out a new Zyxel modem in the last few weeks. I got one and the wireless is much better.
    I got one as i had an older zyxel and the guy I was speaking to on the phone just send he would send it out to replace the older model.

Can you check the make of the Zyxel router so I can look it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

might not be exact, but its pretty damn close, http://www.zyxel.com/products_services/p_660hnu_f1.shtml?t=p

• Advertisement

allen175 wrote: »
    might not be exact, but its pretty damn close, http://www.zyxel.com/products_services/p_660hnu_f1.shtml?t=p

Powerful throughput and better range with Wi-Fi 802.11n performance
    The 802.11n technology provides the ultimate solution for high-speed wireless connection with
    data rates of up to 300 Mbps. The 2x2 technology makes use of your home environment by
    bouncing wireless signals off of walls and ceilings to work around obstructions. The P-660HNU-F1
    exceeds high-speed wireless access requirements for impressive performance, extended range,
    co-existence with other 802.11 b/g clients and access points as well as the ability to eliminate Wi-Fi
    dead spots.

Lag-free on-line gaming experience
    The P-660HNU-F1 has friendly QoS settings for gamers to enable a group of users to experience
    the benefits from smooth network connections. A simple click turns on the setting and allows
    users to enjoy high ADSL transmission speed for online gaming over the Internet without
    concerning about traffic congestion.

Stylish, user-friendly GUI
    The fashionable Web-based user interface makes it extremely easy for users to install and manage
    the P-660HNU-F1. The intuitive Web interface and user-friendly configuration steps will bring a
    fresh feeling to users.

Applications with Firewall
    The P-660HNU-F1 provides the stateful inspection filtering capability and Firewall network
    protections. With the default firewall setting, outgoing and incoming traffics from the protected
    LAN are blocked. The firewall supports TCP/UDP inspection, Denial of Services (DoS) detection and
    prevention, real time alert, reports and logs.

I highlighted two aspects of this router in bold. It looks like the router because the one I can pick up has data rate of 300 Mpbs and wireless is 802.11n.

After reading the firewall, I'm not a fan of this router because the firewall prevents people form connecting to your router. Meaning, you need to made firewall exception for peer-to-peer. Not a good router if you upload torrents. Eircom already blocked access to The Pirate Bay so they seem to be determined to stop torrenting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

I highlighted two aspects of this router in bold. It looks like the router because the one I can pick up has data rate of 300 Mpbs and wireless is 802.11n.

After reading the firewall, I'm not a fan of this router because the firewall prevents people form connecting to your router. Meaning, you need to made firewall exception for peer-to-peer. Not a good router if you upload torrents. Eircom already blocked access to The Pirate Bay so they seem to be determined to stop torrenting

I'm pretty sure that behaviour is configurable. All firewalls would need to be configured to permit traffic to enter the network, and would need correct NAT/PAT settings to direct it to the appropriate host.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Would one of the reps like to comment on this? I recently bought a new router since I was so frustrated at the quality of the previous models. If there is a new model available, I'd like one... I might be able to return the one I had to buy... or sell it on or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭brinks_18476

Hi Guys, Eircom just sent me a new router free of charge. Its an Xyzel D1000 model. They sent me it because my existing router is 2007. They say my line is capable of 4MB (wow) and I'm only getting 2.3mb.
    Plugged in new modem directly and its only giving me 2.1mb i.e. less than the old modem.
    Disappointed. Is there any benefit in installing this new router?????
    As detailed above it gives better wireless coverage but that is not an issue for me.
    thanks

Advertisement