Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honeymoon Thailand October

Options
  • 26-04-2013 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Could anyone give advice about going to Thailand on Honeymoon in October ? Its the end of the rainy season but i would hate if it was raining for the whole honeymoon it would be too like home!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

Why are you thinking of Thailand everybody seems to go there and Ive heard some bad things about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bridie2013

The 5 star hotels there are supposed to be amazing and the beaches!! It's a part of the world we have always wanted to go to so we said why not for the honeymoon. Have you any other suggestions we literally only started looking today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Therightway

Not sure about the actual expected weather for then, but rain there isn't the same. If you get caught in it, yeah you'll get wet, but you wont be cold. When the sun comes out, you'll be dry in half an hour. Hear the upscale hotels are pretty cool too. You could be outside, under a canopy in the rain and it'll still be warm.

I think its the end of the rainy season but still very warm alright there is a 3 day stopover in Bangkok id say that would be an experience !!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

I went a few years ago during rainy season and it wasn't really an issue. It would pour rain for 5-10mins while staying quite hot and then it'd be gone for the day. We used to stay in the pool during the rain. It's an amazing place and couldn't recommend it more! I wouldn't stay too long in Bangkok, a day or two when you land just to sleep off the jet lag then go island hopping down south.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million thats good to hear that you would recommend it :-) I wasn't too keen on Bangkok but the guy in the travel agents recommended it and to do a sightseeing tour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭cosbloodymick

bridie2013 wrote: »
    Thanks a million thats good to hear that you would recommend it :-) I wasn't too keen on Bangkok but the guy in the travel agents recommended it and to do a sightseeing tour!

Check out the grand palace and temple of the emerald buddha in Bangkok-absolutely amazing. Not a whole lot to see there outside of this so a couple of nights would do there before heading north or south.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

bridie2013 wrote: »
    The 5 star hotels there are supposed to be amazing and the beaches!! It's a part of the world we have always wanted to go to so we said why not for the honeymoon. Have you any other suggestions we literally only started looking today

If you go 5-star you'll have a great time. Service is great, scenery lovely., food lovely.
    I went there on my honeymoon, loved it.

I was in Phuket, very nice spot, although I know there are other islands

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

are you set on going to Thailand in October ? ...weather is more than likely going to be wet, especially up north (Chiang Mai etc)

Thailand and surrounding countries are perfect to visit for a honeymoon if you get the right weather, unfortunately its the tail end of a season which means there is a risk of bad weather.

we were there in April 2012, for Songkran (Thai New Year) we had 1 hour of rain ...it was very heavy but once it started we simply went for foot massages and watched the downpour...highly recommended !!, if you are determined to go there I would suggest a bit of Island hopping and a few days in bangkok before heading home, Koh Samui/Koh Tao well worth a visit...especially if you snorkel or dive !!

other places which you could/should consider would be south africa, USA - west coast, greece, italy (southern), croatia, weather will be decent in all those areas during October, while italy and greece may not seem exotic you could always have a mini-moon (small weekend or few days away) and then goto Thailand when the weather would be better there (also gives you a chance to save extra money for the honeymoon).

We're off to Moorea/Rarotonga in September - we scoured the planet for decent places to go in Sept - ones that we had not been to before !! - we've travelled quite a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

I was there in september a few years back and it rained a bit every day. Dont think any shower lasted more than 5 mins and it didnt really bother us. There was a big pot hole outside our hotel that would fill up but the water used to evaporate in 30 mins which for some reason we found very amusing.
    One thing i will say about thailand is the people are the most friendly and helpful ive ever met. I was a little wary going out there thinking they would try to scam us at every opertunity but couldnt have been more wrong. Lovely lovely people.
    We very nearly booked it for our own honeymoon but decided we wanted to go somewhere we hadnt been before so opted for a carribbean cruise from puerto rico and that was amazing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Big Bottom wrote: »
    Why are you thinking of Thailand everybody seems to go there and Ive heard some bad things about it?

craziest statement Ive ever seen on here. What/when/where did you hear? I wouldn't stray off the beaten track in Bangkok but then again I wouldn't recommend a Thailand tourist over here to head down the falls road during marching season.

Theres near 70 million people over there with differing climate regions due to the length of the country. theres tropical islands and bustling cities. Great medical facilities. efficient police force. Incredible site seeing. Friendliest people on the planet. amazing food. Mostly english speaking. You think Irish people have a monopoly on friendliness, you should try it over there.

A lot of people go there on honeymoon, but theres a reason, its fantastic.

As others have said, the north with chiang mai is a bit more rainy than the south but well worth a visit. 3-4 days in bangkok is enough to do the shops. couple of weeks on one of the islands.

Small bit of rain if any during the day in sept/oct but it just lasts a few minutes at most. Ive been twice in september and it was shorts and t-shirts every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

Check which coast will have the best weather during that time of year, it differs quite a lot between the Andaman coast and the Gulf of Thailand coast.
    It will be tricky to avoid rain in Thailand during October, but the the Andaman coast (west) would be a safer bet.
    Koh Phi Phi
    or Railey would be a good bet if you don't mind a youngish crowd.

Railay
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5N2rwP6UBvieJZuoVsDnP0b426okbxIrBQ-CT7sdnHvRojTCu

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

We went to SE Asia on Honeymoon last year for a month from September to October. Everything worked out perfectly fine!
    We didn't want just a sunny lazy few days honeymoon. We wanted to go hiking, sight-seeing, and sure we squeezed in 4 days on the beach at the end.
    We arrived into Bangkok in the middle of some downpours. We got the train into town from the airport. The roads around the area were flooded but the sidewalks were high enough for pedestrians to stay dry. Plus they have covers and canopies over most pedestrian areas. We jumped into a taxi and were quite dry..
    The road by hostel was flooded but by the evening it was completely dried up! just like that... It really does come and go.
    We had a couple of days in bangkok where it rained a bit in the afternoons. Like I said though, the canopies from the shops keep you dry and unlike here, the rain is vertical and a small umbrella can keep you quite dry.

We went to the neighbouring countries, but in Thailand we also went to Chiang Mai (it was lovely weather there) and Koh Phi Phi. The island was warm and sunny, perfect temperature, beautiful warm water, and thunderstorms at night like you wouldn't believe. The next morning it was glorious sunshine again though! It's the tropics and wet season is not like here all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭omeatheopian

Big Bottom wrote: »

What a ridiculous post! Then no reply when asked for feedback. Anyway........

I went in October a few years back and once you are down south the weather absolutely fine (over a period of 3 weeks). Best of luck with the research

• Registered Users Posts: 13 weefa

Spent 3 months in SE Asia in 2009, was only supposed to be in Thailand for a few weeks but we kept making excuses to travel back through on our way to other places. It is a fantastic country. I HIGHLY recommend, if you are heading for the islands then Koh Samui, Koh Penang and Koh Tao are nice, (koh Tao being the nicest and probably most romantic, Koh penang for the night life) but if you really want to see some amazing places then head to places like Phi Phi, Krabi, Koh Lanta and all around that area. (fly bangkok to phuket to save on travelling time and horrible buses if you can) It is slightly less travelled and "resorty" allthough there are plenty of high end hotels to suit a honeymoon if that what you are looking for. My favourite place by far in all of Thailand was Railay, it's so quite, there are no roads, just beach and a handful of bars and hotels nestled in the jungle it was flippin paradise! Phi Phi and Railay - that's my 2 sugestions and you will not regret a honeymoon in Thailand even if it is lashing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

weefa wrote: »
    My favourite place by far in all of Thailand was Railay, it's so quite, there are no roads, just beach and a handful of bars and hotels nestled in the jungle it was flippin paradise! Phi Phi and Railay - that's my 2 sugestions and you will not regret a honeymoon in Thailand even if it is lashing!

Agreed, I've been to Thailand a few times over the years and Railey and/or Phi Phi would be wonderful places for a honeymoon, the nicest spots I've found anyway. Good snorkling straight off the beach, loads of amasing day trips to go on, beautiful food served on the beach.
    OP, if you need any advice on getting to either place or accommodation just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

It rains a bit in the Gulf most of the year from my experience but it's rarely a hinderance. Thong Nai Pan noi on Kho Phangan is a paradise beach. Water is perfect, its quiet and the food is lovely out there.
    It is a little more remote than most but would make a great romantic paradise getaway!

Check this place out

Oh and there's no hawkers on the beach!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Just back from 2 weeks in Thailand, 3rd visit and the first as a non-backpacker.
    For a honeymoon, I would skip phuket, very busy and the sea is very choppy in rainy season. I have been before in June & we never swam once, even now we only got to the beach one day, it was overcast & muggy and the sea was very rough most days.
    Railay, Aonang, Phi-Phi are all lovely spots and any or all of them are suitable. Aonang has a fair bit going on with bars etc.., Phi-Phi has a lot of travelers so has a good vibe, as does Railay although its smaller.

What's not to love, the places are beautiful, reasonable, the food is awesome and the people are friendly and don't pester you...well not too much, engage a little and they are easy to deal with

If you're worried about the rainy season, Mauritius is another awesome spot, although more expensive and there is less to do outside of the hotel/resorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

I'm also going to Thailand on my honeymoon in late October early November. Didn't like the look of Bangkok so we have decided to go to Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia for 3 nights and then Khao Lak in Thailand for the remainder of the honeymoon. It's on the west coast about an hour's drive north of Phuket and it is meant to be quieter and less touristy than other places. That's the main reason why we chose Khao Lak and the fact that it is on the west coast means slightly less rain...hopefully! Looking forward to it.

If the rainy season is your only concern I say go! That's what we are doing anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

May I suggest a few days in Hong Kong and the rest in Thailand ? Two totally fantastic places.

Advertisement