Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun license

Options
  • 26-04-2013 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Got a letter to say they received my application for my "weapon"!?? "rilfe" after a month.... apparently a serious backlog.....now it will take up to 3 months more!!!!

If im lucky i might get it a few days before i go back to boarding school where then i will rarely get to use it coz ill be home once a month. :(

Its a .22 air rifle and im 16 so i might not even get it coz they class my air rifle a a rifle (and a weapon?) anyone elses liensce taking a long time in Laois atm?Really want it to use during the summer which is in a months time otherwise ill be doin nothin and all i want to do is a bit of hunting!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'm in Laois, and have had a nightmare. My previous applciations or substitutions have never taken more than 3 weeks. Ever. Here is the story;

There is a new Super. She has a few stations to visit each week. The day to day applications are processed by a lady/Ban Garda in the Portlaoise station. When the Super is around she is dealing with renewals before all new applications, and substitutions.

After waiting over 2.5 months for both substitutions, and 2 new applications my licenses finally came back, signed by the Inspector in Mullingar. So not to piss on your parade, and i hope they have sped up, but you may be looking at at least 2 months.

My applications only came through 2 weeks ago so it's not like this was a while ago.

Now a mate of mine got his substitution through in 2 weeks, and he put his in the same time as mine, but i think that was luck, and it was a sub, not a new application.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Cass wrote: »
    . So not to piss on your parade, and i hope they have sped up, but you may be looking at at least 2 months.

apparently there is still a backlog....2 months ...really puts me off shooting in this country and then think an air rifle is a rifle like are u kidding me and then saying ur application about ur WEAPON has been recieved.Some needs to change the law soon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

An air rifle is a rifle..the clue is in the name:pac:

Gamo Whisper .22: 720 fps/14 Gr. pellet

Ruger 10/22: 1085 fps/40 Gr. bullet

Theres about 70 ft pound difference aswell
    major differences and u can only use it on small game.... at least have a 12ft pound limit or somthing like that in the uk here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Welcome to shooting in ireland!!! ;-)

Hope your licence comes through quick lad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

wasn't there something about applications/substitutions being processed more efficiently when they were talking about the wonderful new licensing regime 3 or 4 years ago?

and processing your licence in the post office?

I could go on

yubabill1 wrote: »
    wasn't there something about applications/substitutions being processed more efficiently when they were talking about the wonderful new licensing regime 3 or 4 years ago?

Id say that was before the cut backs etc..

Advertisement