Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodfordes Wherry

Options
  • 26-04-2013 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

So Woodfordes Wherry is in the fermenter. Any suggestions for a hack? Would dry hopping work? If so which hops would you use? Other than hops what else could be added?

All suggestions welcomed!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

If it's already in the fermenter, it's going to hard to hack it beyond dry hopping - dry hopping will work, the only other tweaks would be adding fruit flavours, which I doubt would be nice in the end product.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Dry hopping will be fine for hacking a kit. You will not be adding extra bitterness just a nice aroma, which is what you want. Try UK hops like Admiral, East Kent Goldings or Fuggles. There are plenty of others too. I would use between 25g to 50g of leaf hops in a sanitised muslin bag. Put the muslin bag in some boiling water first to sanitise it before adding the hops. Add the dry hops when fermentation is about done for about 4 days before bottling.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Mister Burns

Thanks guys

I've dry hopped an IPA before with Cascade hops from a recommendation on here to good results so I was wondering if it would work with this kit so will try one of the ones you've suggested.

Also from reading other treads of people adding various things to their secondary I was curious if there was anything I could try with this kit

I'm going to be dry hopping a Coopers IPA which has been in the fermenter for a week now.

I have a selection of pellets, but no leaf hops - are they ok for dry hopping? What quantities should be used?

I have Fuggles, Cascade, Challenger, Goldings, Saaz and one more I can't recall at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Mister Burns

I'm going to be dry hopping a Coopers IPA which has been in the fermenter for a week now.

I have a selection of pellets, but no leaf hops - are they ok for dry hopping? What quantities should be used?

I have Fuggles, Cascade, Challenger, Goldings, Saaz and one more I can't recall at the moment.

On recommendation from BeerNut I used 30g. I also used the pellets in a muslin bag which I weighted down with a sanitised piece of cutlery - otherwise it floats to the top. Use of cutlery a piece of string meant it stayed in the middle of the brew. Don't think there is any particular reason why that works better than it floating at the top but it seemed appropriate

• Advertisement

Aha, a piece of string, yes, I can see it now.

thanks for the info.

Advertisement