Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling from Tralee to Listowel

Options
  • 26-04-2013 11:15pm

I'm planning to cycle from Tralee to Listowel next weekend. I intend to go along the R556 and R557 via Abbeydorney and Lixnaw; the total distance would work out at around 29km. I've recently done 25km in Dublin without difficulty so I think I'll be fine, but could anyone tell me what the terrain is like on this road? I know the route fairly well but don't really know the gradients at all. I wouldn't fancy an uphill struggle for most of it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 murphy05

Leaving Tralee to Abbeydorney has a nice climb at the start but is okay after that. Word of caution in that the road is not the best and can be very busy (and dangerous), Abbeydorney to Listowel is okay.
    You might consider Tralee to Ballyheigue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Both sides of the road from Abbeydorney to Lixnaw are in bits, both sides are sinking so it's all hollows and bumps and potholes are forming due to water sitting in the hollows. The only good stretch is from Lixnaw as far as Crotta and after that it's really in need of some work. I always drive in the centre of the road until I meet some traffic.

Hmm, that's kind of putting me off now. I need to get to Listowel anyway at that time, but might reconsider whether I'll do it on the bike or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Karsini wrote: »
    Hmm, that's kind of putting me off now. I need to get to Listowel anyway at that time, but might reconsider whether I'll do it on the bike or not.

Why not take the N69?

Why not take the N69?

I was thinking it would be more dangerous due to the traffic volume.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Karsini wrote: »
    I was thinking it would be more dangerous due to the traffic volume.

Better and wider roads, definately safer than the abbeydorney route.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Better and wider roads, definately safer than the abbeydorney route.

I second that. The road from Tralee to Abbeydorney could very likely get you killed on a bike.

I don't even like driving that road it's so narrow.

Thanks. I'm starting to reconsider this entirely to be honest. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

just get a bus

Yeah I think I'll be doing that. Should be grand if the greenway ever opens, but until then I should really give it a miss on safety grounds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement