Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little Bo Peep

Options
  • 26-04-2013 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads
    I'm thinking of doing the Little Bo Peep tri at end of July as part of warm up for the lost sheep...can anyone tell me 1. is this the same course as lost sheep and 2. does entry fill up fast...I see its open for entries tomorrow morn but havent decided to do it yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

I did it a few years back. I don't think it filled up back then, but seems to be more popular now. I think the first lot of entries sold out.

The course is different to the Lost Sheep. The swim is very sheltered, no current. It's out of town about 5k towards Lauragh. The start of the cycle is on the lost sheep course, but after the first hill instead of going up Healy Pass, you turn right in Lauragh and come back along the coast. Very scenic. Run is pretty tough if it's the same one- an out and back with a decent hill on each leg.

It was slightly short from memory, but the cycle and run at least are pretty hilly and honest for all that.

Lovely part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

Bo Peep is a great race and a good warm up for Lost Sheep. It doesn’t cover much of the Lost Sheep course – and is short for an Olympic distance event – but it gets you down around Kenmare and you can review the Lost Sheep course while there.

Swim – Sheltered 1500m in the bay at the sailing club about 6 or 7km out of Kenmare

Bike – Heads west from the sailing club and follows the Lost Sheep route until the turn off for the Healy Pass. Instead of turning there you go on further, turn north and follow the coastline back to the main road to the sailing club. So, you get the first hill and descent of the Lost Sheep Circuit but no more. The surface of the coast road is bumpy so that’s good Lost Sheep preparation ;). The cycle is just under 39km

Run – It’s slightly under 10km but has some very steep climbs. Under 40 minutes is an excellent time. It is completely different to the Lost Sheep run and is good hardy finish to the race.

The race is very well organised (the local club run the event so like the Lost Sheep it’s very much focused on the competitors) and there’s good craic around the finish and the bar / restaurant of the sailing club afterwards. They usually do an excellent hoodie and good a good feed from Jam at the finish line too. Showers available in the sailing club.

A good idea is to stay overnight and do the Lost Sheep cycle or run the next day - makes for a decent weekend of training. The Beara peninsula is God’s own country – well worth the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Bo Peep is a great race and a good warm up for Lost Sheep. It doesn’t cover much of the Lost Sheep course – and is short for an Olympic distance event – but it gets you down around Kenmare and you can review the Lost Sheep course while there.

Swim – Sheltered 1500m in the bay at the sailing club about 6 or 7km out of Kenmare

Bike – Heads west from the sailing club and follows the Lost Sheep route until the turn off for the Healy Pass. Instead of turning there you go on further, turn north and follow the coastline back to the main road to the sailing club. So, you get the first hill and descent of the Lost Sheep Circuit but no more. The surface of the coast road is bumpy so that’s good Lost Sheep preparation ;). The cycle is just under 39km

Run – It’s slightly under 10km but has some very steep climbs. Under 40 minutes is an excellent time. It is completely different to the Lost Sheep run and is good hardy finish to the race.

The race is very we
    ll organised (the local club run the event so like the Lost Sheep it’s very much focused on the competitors) and there’s good craic around the finish and the bar / restaurant of the sailing club afterwards. They usually do an excellent hoodie and good a good feed from Jam at the finish line too. Showers available in the sailing club.

A good idea is to stay overnight and do the Lost Sheep cycle or run the next day - makes for a decent weekend of training. The Beara peninsula is God’s own country – well worth the trip.

Sounds good, you've twisted my arm, think I'll sign up for it now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

So anyone out there doing this at the weekend or am I the only one...

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

I'm in - will be my 3rd year in a row. Great race - hopefully the rain stays away on Saturday - for the bike anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement