Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia Z v iPhone 5

Options
  • 27-04-2013 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

So it's upgrade time and these are the two that I've come down to.

I like the Sony because of the technology it uses, the camera, durability ( somewhat dust/water resistant) and the reviews have been extremely positive.

The iPhone 5, well, what is there to say. It's apple so we all know what it entales.

The reason I'm leaning slightly towards the iPhone is because I can sync it with the iPad. But there is something about the Xperia that is making me change my mind. K

Boardies, the floor is yours, all opinions welcome.. This isn't AH after all :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Here comes android vs apple debate.... :pac:

In short, IMO:

Sony, nicer hardware, slightly lacking software. iPhone, more polished OS, not as snazy hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

ED E wrote: »
    Here comes android vs apple debate.... :pac:

In short, IMO:

Sony, nicer hardware, slightly lacking software. iPhone, more polished OS, not as snazy hardware.

I know, I don't want it to decend into that madness!

Funny about the software, the reviews on Line have been quite positive in that regard. I don't know anyone who has Sony to compare, which is a shame.

Do you have either?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I have the Xperia S, and the X10 before that. Been Sony/Sony Ericcson for a long time. Their software devs are ok, but apparently lazy as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

I have the Xperia z and I love it, barely put it down at all. Any specific questions just ask.

calnand wrote: »
    I have the Xperia z and I love it, barely put it down at all. Any specific questions just ask.

Cheers calnand!

1) Did you get the mr1d, or something headphones when you bought it or was that just for a limited time?

2) How do you find the screen quality? I found the Xperia z thread there and a few users are experiencing problems with regards to different viewing angles ( not a big concern, but just wondering if you noticed anything)?

3) Water proof: have you done the elusive tap test? I cycle and run a bit so this would be a huge bonus!

4) Were you an iPhone user before and if so, do you see any advantages to the Sony?

Sorry for wrecking your head!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

1) it was a limited offer only for new customers.

2) once your looking straight at the phone it's perfect, it's brilliant for watching hd movies on especially with the bravia engine on.

3)yeah it's completely waterproof, I've often washed it under the tap, my one has a small problem with the loudspeaker as it has become blocked but I got it repaired under warranty and it's fine again. It's if water gets in it reduces the volume and quality of the speaker to protect it until it dries out, normally and hour or two to dry out.

4) I'm not personally but my mum and brother are and I feel when I pick them up they're tiny and cumbersome compared to the Xperia z, it's alto faster as well I think, it has a quad core 1.5ghz processor compared to the iPhone's 1.3kHz dual-core. the app store at the moment is a bit small compared to the iPhone but there are a good few apps you can't get on iPhone's that are available to android.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

Have u considered the galaxy note 2? I went from iphone 4s to xperia s to xperia z and now have the note.
    Screen and sound quality are way better than the Z, not to mention battery life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

80s Child wrote: »
    Cheers calnand!

1) Did you get the mr1d, or something headphones when you bought it or was that just for a limited time?

2) How do you find the screen quality? I found the Xperia z thread there and a few users are experiencing problems with regards to different viewing angles ( not a big concern, but just wondering if you noticed anything)?

3) Water proof: have you done the elusive tap test? I cycle and run a bit so this would be a huge bonus!

4) Were you an iPhone user before and if so, do you see any advantages to the Sony?

Sorry for wrecking your head!

I've got one as well so I can answer these as well.

1) I got the headphones and they are awesome, in fact i got the phone and headphones for €50. Even on a 24 month deal i'm very happy.

2) Viewing angles arent great but i've yet to find a need for looking at the screen at an angle where the screen is obscured. It's a non issue as far as i am concerned. The quality of the screen itself is amazing, it's more realistic in tone to other phones which i consider an advantage, it doesnt have the neon colours that i have heard can be found on other handsets. I can fault it.

3) I did the water test and it was as advertised. I dont find the flaps bothersome either, the pay off for waterproofing far out ways the negatives.

4) I've never even used an iphone so no help here.

Any other questions just ask

The s4 out yesterday.. I'm even more lost!!

Advertisement