Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gardai and the sports coach...

Options
  • 27-04-2013 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

just catching up on this story now and it seems that the gardai have a lot of questions to answer allegedly....they spoke to this coach back in 80's and told him to seek treatment and that was the end of the matter allegedly...if this story broke concerning a priest/christian brother and we heard that the bishop dealt with the story in a similar fashion, there would be uproar!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

just catching up on this story now and it seems that the gardai have a lot of questions to answer allegedly....they spoke to this coach back in 80's and told him to seek treatment and that was the end of the matter allegedly...if this story broke concerning a priest/christian brother and we heard that the bishop dealt with the story in a similar fashion, there would be uproar!!!

Do you have a link to provide more facts about this? I am curious about the background and full story to this.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Thank You. I'll follow and see what comes of this investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Almost goes without saying but please don't post (or even hint) at any names.

Its a truly sickening story. I'm of the opinion that anyone who covers for child abuse is just as guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Its amazing that there is not more about this story. As you said, if this had been linked to the Church, it would be in the headlines nearly everyday.
    This person had "connections". If the allegations are true, could this be why it was dealt with the way it was by the garda allegedly.
    Also, did anyone in the club know about the allegations? You would think not, going by the fact that he is still an honary member of the club, or did past club members believe the allegations were false?

Also, why would this person come out and make this statement. its a strange state of affairs if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Truly sickening that these victims did not get justice in the 80s.

Just thinking how their lives could have been different, knowing that the person that took their youth had been brought to justice.

How could these victims have a relationship with those in authority in their lives knowing that a vile abuser could escape scot free.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭kensutz

For anyone paranoid about their kids going out training and playing matches now, there's Garda vetting that needs to be done by any adult involved in a club. The GAA have started it and anybody coaching or taking the role as a mentor will have to be Garda vetted before they get involved in a club.

Other sports are following suit and it will soon be voted in by government that any adult involved with a club will have to complete the vetting and also attend child welfare courses.

kensutz wrote: »
    For anyone paranoid about their kids going out training and playing matches now, there's Garda vetting that needs to be done by any adult involved in a club. The GAA have started it and anybody coaching or taking the role as a mentor will have to be Garda vetted before they get involved in a club.

Other sports are following suit and it will soon be voted in by government that any adult involved with a club will have to complete the vetting and also attend child welfare courses.

Do you really think that Garda vetting solves this? The form is a joke IMO.
    By the way Garda vetting was going on in other sports long before the GAA took it on board. Do the Garda really check these forms properly and do they have the resource to really handle the enormous amount of paperwork being generated by sports clubs in relation to vetting?

ziedth wrote: »
    Almost goes without saying but please don't post (or even hint) at any names.

Its a truly sickening story. I'm of the opinion that anyone who covers for child abuse is just as guilty.

That does go without saying, especially so if it is an active investigation.

I just don't know how someone can take away a childs' innocence and for then to allegedly be told, "just take some councelling" just sickens me tbh!

Anyone who covers any form of abuse is guilty in my eyes too. I've been bullied and harassed, even in my adult years, and anyone who condones and has stood aside while it happened and not took action is guilty in my eyes & not just those who took part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Did this happen in Waterford? Can't see anythig about the location of where it supposed to have happened.

• Advertisement

Meatwad wrote: »
    Did this happen in Waterford? Can't see anythig about the location of where it supposed to have happened.

Yes, unfortunately.

Do you really think that Garda vetting solves this? The form is a joke IMO.
    By the way Garda vetting was going on in other sports long before the GAA took it on board. Do the Garda really check these forms properly and do they have the resource to really handle the enormous amount of paperwork being generated by sports clubs in relation to vetting?

Did I say it's going to resolve all problems? No! Yes it was going on in other sports but the GAA have far higher numbers vetted compared to other sports. I've been vetted by Munster Rugby and the GAA for my work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Not defending the Gardai here, but there could have been a number of reasons that a trial didn't go ahead, such as insufficient evidence or failure for someone to make a statement of complaint. Also, something has to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt in a criminal court, and if it can't be proven it won't even get to court. It also happens quite regularly that someone would make a statement of sexual assault, but withdraw it later on. As for the Gardai saying to him to get some counselling, it was probably a "we know you done it but can't prove it" statement.

Anyway, if there is sufficient evidence, he will be brought to court and as far as i can tell from that article, he's admitting guilt so should be a fairly simple case (in terms of sexual assault cases).

As for the vetting forms, yes, i'd say the Gardai do check these to the smallest detail, as it would fall back on them should something happen and there was a history. There's a seperate vetting unit in Thurles dedicated to vetting alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Has he been named yet?

Not defending the Gardai here, but there could have been a number of reasons that a trial didn't go ahead, such as insufficient evidence or failure for someone to make a statement of complaint. Also, something has to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt in a criminal court, and if it can't be proven it won't even get to court. It also happens quite regularly that someone would make a statement of sexual assault, but withdraw it later on. As for the Gardai saying to him to get some counselling, it was probably a "we know you done it but can't prove it" statement.

Anyway, if there is sufficient evidence, he will be brought to court and as far as i can tell from that article, he's admitting guilt so should be a fairly simple case (in terms of sexual assault cases).

As for the vetting forms, yes, i'd say the Gardai do check these to the smallest detail, as it would fall back on them should something happen and there was a history. There's a seperate vetting unit in Thurles dedicated to vetting alone.

He made a confession to members of An Garda Síochána of having inappropriate relations with underage teenage boys and yet is still an active member of a sports association. Something not right about that!

Their are members of An Garda Síochána who know who this man is so can anyone tell me: is their not a duty of care to members of the public in this instance regardless of whether those he abused in the 80's are willing or able to make a statement to take action and ask this man to withdraw membership of whatever local sports association he is involved with? Or is that just pending outcome of an investisation, eventhough he has admitted to having inappropriate relations with underage teenage boys?! :confused:

I am just confused as to how this is has gone on for so long without action being taken to assist those young teenage boys who were abused by a person in a postion of power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Has he been named yet?

Yes.

Yes.

Where? (i don't particularly want to know his name, but I'd be interested in where he was publicly named)

Where? (i don't particularly want to know his name, but I'd be interested in where he was publicly named)

I don't think he has been named yet in the public domain as it is an ongoing case and no charges have been produced as of yet, a lot of people know who he is allegedly, I hope that the name being bandied around is correct, otherwise it will completely demonise an innocent person.

Locally but not in media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

Somebody told me they saw his name being mentioned in a Sunday newspaper , not going to mention name but know of him from years back , and my personal experience of him the words unsavourary character come to mind, what his interests were and pedalling those interests with teenage boys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I heard he was named in one of yesterday's tabloid newspapers but I didn't read anything myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I was told it was in the Sunday World, along with a photo but his face was blurred out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I was told it was in the Sunday World, along with a photo but his face was blurred out.

I was told the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭deisediva

Have the Sunday world here he is named in it and his picture is blurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

If this guy has been named in the paper then you should have a right to inform people of his name here. I have two sons under the age of 12 who play soccer, gaelic football & hurling in the city. As a parent I think I deserve to be made aware of this mans name. If it has appeared in newspapers along with a bloody photo then there is no problem nameing & shameing. Even take a photo of the newspaper article & post it up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Motivator wrote: »
    If this guy has been named in the paper then you should have a right to inform people of his name here. I have two sons under the age of 12 who play soccer, gaelic football & hurling in the city. As a parent I think I deserve to be made aware of this mans name. If it has appeared in newspapers along with a bloody photo then there is no problem nameing & shameing. Even take a photo of the newspaper article & post it up here.
    The difference is if the Sunday World gets sued they will still make another story out of this.

Maybe the News and Star will name him tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Just looking at the page now. Never heard of the chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

kerry4sam wrote: »
    He made a confession to members of An Garda Síochána of having inappropriate relations with underage teenage boys and yet is still an active member of a sports association. Something not right about that!

Their are members of An Garda Síochána who know who this man is so can anyone tell me: is their not a duty of care to members of the public in this instance regardless of whether those he abused in the 80's are willing or able to make a statement to take action and ask this man to withdraw membership of whatever local sports association he is involved with? Or is that just pending outcome of an investisation, eventhough he has admitted to having inappropriate relations with underage teenage boys?! :confused:

I am just confused as to how this is has gone on for so long without action being taken to assist those young teenage boys who were abused by a person in a postion of power.

Unfortunately, an admission of guilt is just not enough any more to secure a conviction. There was precedent set a good while ago that an admission alone is not enough, and all evidence needs to be produced before a conviction can be made. This would usually always need to include a statement of complaint (new legislation allows the conviction to go ahead without a statement of complaint if there is other CCTV/witness evidence). It was basically to stop people admitting guilt to a crime committed by another for whatever reason.

I agree, should it be true, he should be removed from anything to do with children, but until it's proven nothing can be done for fear of unfair treatment. Sad, but true.

• Advertisement

Motivator wrote: »
    If this guy has been named in the paper then you should have a right to inform people of his name here. I have two sons under the age of 12 who play soccer, gaelic football & hurling in the city. As a parent I think I deserve to be made aware of this mans name.

Not involved in any of those sports. Naming him here leaves the site open for a case in the courts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement