Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vat and Customs / Import charges from China

Options
  • 27-04-2013 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hello,
    I am sole trader and I want import some goods from China and sell it later on my eBay shop. I have little experiance already but I still have some questions about import.
    I have received some goods via An Post (shipped by China Post Air Mail) with CUSTOMS DECLARATION on package marked as a GIFT. Example:
    IMAG0165.jpg

Now, can I sell this product via my eBay.ie shop without paying any tax?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Sure but that's called fraud.

Pay close attention to what happened to the guy importing garlic without paying the duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 maniootek

What can I do now? I was asking Revenue but they never give me an answer. How can I pay tax for this "gift" ??

Now, what should seller (exporter) do next time (how mark shipment) to make that I will pay vat and duties when receiving goods? There is only 4 options:
    Gift, Commercial samples, Documents, Others and Total value.

An post doesn't charge when goods are lower than 22 EUR but what if I want them to calculate tax for me for goods below 22 EUR ??

Talk to your accountant, is a complex area - and mistakes can land you with fines or jail.

I don't have accountant, do you know answers for my questions above?

Nope, but you can find all the info you need here: www.revenue.ie

Start by finding the phone number for enquiries relating to customs and excise, then give them a call.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

maniootek wrote: »
    What can I do now? I was asking Revenue but they never give me an answer. How can I pay tax for this "gift" ??

Now, what should seller (exporter) do next time (how mark shipment) to make that I will pay vat and duties when receiving goods? There is only 4 options:
    Gift, Commercial samples, Documents, Others and Total value.

An post doesn't charge when goods are lower than 22 EUR but what if I want them to calculate tax for me for goods below 22 EUR ??

As said above, contact revenue and say that it was ticked in error.

For next time though ask your shipping to supply three copies of the invoice attached to the shipment and a cert of origin.

There's a document here with all you need to know:
    www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/postal-guide.pdf

1.) How CN22 form (Customs Declaration) should be completed or what should be done by sender from non-eu countires to receive goods via An Post with required charges (vat, duties...) for commercial use (retail) even if total cost for goods are lower than 22 EUR ?

2.) What should I do if I want use goods imported from non-eu countires via An Post for business purposes (retail) when they were marked as a gift and I didn't pay any vat or import charges?

I will leave this two questions for future. If I will get to know anything about it (or someone will let me know here) then I will update it (for archive) and close this thread.

Advertisement