Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What to do with this bodywork damage?

Options
  • 27-04-2013 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi all,

My retired mum has had an encounter with a barrier in a carpark :(
    This has left a small cut in the chassis/frame of the toyota yaris just above the rear wheel arch. See attached pics.

Now she has fully comp insurance, but probably not worth using that unless the damage is over €2k, right?

She's not bothered about it being perfect again, so patching up in some way is fine.
    What do think can be done with this? What can a mechical or body shop do with this kind of damage? Could I do a diy job on it with some kinda of filler and touch up paint?

Thanks in advance
    pan
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Quite a lot of damage. I would think that if not properly repaired it could lead to rust so I would avoid a diy botch job as it could lead to more problems down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Im no bodywork repair expert, but I reckon that needs a the old rear 1/4 cut out and and new one put in. Door should be OK to be painted and blown in when doing the rear 1/4. Another thing going against you is, the damage is on the side of the fuel filler, which is a bit more work involved in removing and fitting the 1/4 panel.
    But of course, I could be wrong. Perhaps they can pull it out a bit, so the cut meets pretty good, weld it, fill and paint it. Its definitely not a DIY job though!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

ok, I agree, it's not a DIY job...

Also, I don't thinks it's panel that can be replaced, it's part of the chassis frame, unless you meant cut out the section and weld a new section in!

Any ideas, on rough body work repair cost on this?
    Are we talking €500 or €500+ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

pan wrote: »

Also, I don't thinks it's panel that can be replaced, it's part of the chassis frame, unless you meant cut out the section and weld a new section in!

That panel can be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    That panel can be replaced.

Details? Interested in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

pan wrote: »

A body shop can pretty much repair replace any panel on a car.

This repair is a job for a professional you'll never get it 100%. never mind replacing the panel which you won't be able to do. Sure you could hammer it and pull at it, slap a bit of filler on and sand it but it'll be rough and you'll never blend the paint.

Put in a claim with your insurance company you'll probably be looking at a bill from a body shop of €1500 +

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭eg6 vtec

as said it there is no problem with replacing that panel, there is a lot of work in it and labor wise it will make it very expensive, i have worked in the trade for near 13 years

It could also be pulled out welded an sealed up, again a lot of work i could supply you with a rough quote if needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Give carcraft.ie a ring. I had very similar damage to 2 panels like yours, 480 for the lot. It looked like new after, they did a brilliant job

Advertisement