Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Broadband Abroad

Options
  • 27-04-2013 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Apologies if I've put this in the wrong forum!

I'm going to be working on a campsite in France for 3 to 4 months this summer, and am looking into the viability of sorting out some mobile broadband for myself. It's prohibitively expensive to get a deal here and then transfer it to roaming, so I'm now looking at the possibility of getting it from a French company. Has anyone got any recommendations or experience with this? I've been looking on various websites but a combination of language barrier and the slightly obfuscating nature of such sites has left me a bit unsure as to how much I'm paying for what.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Firblog

If your phone isn't locked to any irish operator, and you can use it as a hotspot, Then I'd look for getting a sim only deal from one of their carriers, I'm not a french speaker but using google translate i'd consider this (red 3 Go option) which translates to

RED SERIES 3GB
    Without commitment

Unlimited calls in France to all mobile and fixed operators.
    Calls outside Visio, special issues, services and calls from radio boxes.
    Limited to 3 hours maximum per call, then charged out of bundle at 0.38 € / min (Voice).
    Unlimited calls to mobile and fixed to North America and to landlines in 50 destinations
    Limited to 3 hours maximum per call, then charged out of bundle at € 0.38 / min (Voice) calls

Retail destinations included
    To mobiles and fixed the following destinations:
    North America: USA, Canada (excluding Hawaii, Alasaka, Puerto Rico, American Virgin Islands)

Fixed to the following destinations:
    Europe: Azores, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canary Islands, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Gibraltar, Greece, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Man (Island), Norway, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Czech Republic, Romania, United Kingdom, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, Vatican.
    DOM: Guadeloupe (+ Désirade, Marie Galante, Les Saintes), French Guiana, Martinique, Mayotte, Reunion, Saint Martin, Saint Pierre and Miquelon.
    SMS, unlimited MMS to all operators in France. Limited to 200 different recipients per 24 hours.
    3GB included rechargeable on 3G +

Examples of uses:
    - 75 mails and surf 4h daily
    - 10 hours of video per month
    - 30 applications downloaded per month

Good to know:
    You can use the MB / GB of your package for all uses: Internet, email, videos,
    applications, modem mode (use your smartphone to connect your tablet or other
    WiFi compatible device), VoIP ...

SFR WiFi
    All your unlimited use of 4 million SFR WiFi hotspots.
    SFR Femto
    To capture all of you
    To receive your log on sfr.fr Femto / femto once your line is activated.
    Available for Red Series 3GB customers for any purchase of a Femto before 31/12/2012, 49 € refunded automatically to the mobile bill after the first use case. Restricted to devices with a compatible 3G mobile (excluding blocked offers and SFR Business Team) SFR subscribers a broadband subscription with a box-compatible. Details sfr.fr / femto.
    Options included:
    • Per second billing from the first second
    • Caller ID
    • Invoice Internet

@ €20 per month it doesn't seem a bad deal...

If you don't have an unlocked phone, I'd consider buying a prestigo dual sim one, (harvey normans have them) you can have your own sim & a french sim in at the same time, - they are not locked to any operator have android & google play on them, from, ideal for what you may want.

Advertisement