Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stand alone PIR that sends text

Options
  • 27-04-2013 10:35am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Owner of a quarry having diesel stolen from machines at night.
    These machines are parked at different locations each night in a large quarry.
    The damage done during the theft has cost more than the diesel stolen as well as the downtime.

Too large an area to be covered by CCTV. To many points of access also. Last time they came across farmers land from a different direction.

I seem to remember seeing a battery powered PIR that has a built in SIM card. When the PIR detects motion it sends a text. The unit is armed and disarmed via a text.

Can anyone tell me where to purchase such a device? Or perhaps someone can suggest something better?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

You could use a wireless alarm system .
    The likes of the quantum, visonic or soon to be released GSD . They come in kit form but you'll have to buy a gsm for texting ... You could try the likes of adverts for ideas.
    Just note that the Pirs will need to be indoors

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I doubt wireless sensors would have the range required.
    What distance are they good for?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

How big is the area your looking to cover?
    Are you looking for a cheap standalone solution or have you a budget in mind?
    The proper solution would be IP, it would also be the expensive solution,

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

KoolKid wrote: »
    How big is the area your looking to cover?

At a guess 800 x 800m. This is where the digging happens, so this is where the machines are left. The closest power supply is about 1km away from where machines are likely to be parked.
    Are you looking for a cheap standalone solution or have you a budget in mind?
    Just looking at options at the moment.
    Needless to say, after each "event" the budget increases.
    The proper solution would be IP, it would also be the expensive solution,
    Please expand on that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That a massive area to cover
    These are the top of the range IP cameras but they are not going to do an area that large.
    Another option would be full function domes with preset triggered by some PiRs to bring the camera to a location where a PiR triggers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Would a guard dog be appropriate?

HKCs have a range of 400m but you'll more than likely have comms issues unless you were to use a repeater ..

Maybe visonics knew PIR cams could be of use ... They also have repeaters

You could look into solar panels with back up batteries for power as most systems don't require much .

What about something like this .

http://wirelessalert.co.za/products/diysensors-detectors/2xoptic-pir/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

http://www.equicom.ie/outdoor-wireless-alarm-for-farms--oil-tanks-1036-p.asp

"Because the system is solar powered and wireless they can be placed anywhere, they can be up to 80 meters apart and 1000 meters from the alarm unit"

That a massive area to cover

Yup, sure is.
    These are the top of the range IP cameras but they are not going to do an area that large.
    Another option would be full function domes with preset triggered by some PiRs to bring the camera to a location where a PiR triggers.

No can do. The closest power supply is about 1km away from where machines are likely to be parked. Also there is no internet access.

That is why I thought if the machines were parked side by side with the diesel caps facing each other a PIR "looking" between them would pick up movement between the vehicles. All the driver would have to do in the evening is stick a PIR (possibly mounted in an IP rated box with a window) with a magnet to the side of the bulldozer and arm it by text. The units I saw before were powered by a 9V battery.

I'm not sure what TB was recommending that has 400m range.
    Is the text part important?
    You could rig up something like this to a car battery & swap it out & rechagre every so often

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what TB was recommending that has 400m range.
    Is the text part important?
    You could rig up something like this to a car battery & swap it out & rechagre every so often

HKC have on the leaflets supplied with their sensors that it has 400m rf range . ( line of sight )
    Aritech are 150m
    Visonics new ones are ment to have further rf range

Oh , wireless range.. I thought you were referring to the rage of detection.
    I , personally would trust a wireless device at that range no matter what the specs say.

Hence why I recommended a repeater ;)

Hence why I recommended a repeater ;)

Yeah I seen that.;)
    I'm trying to picture this site in my head.But I get the impression its just a big open space with nowhere in between for much like that.
    Perhaps I'm totally wrong. Maybe if 2011 put up a pic we might come up with something totally different.

Is it GSDs new alarm that uses each sensor as a repeater ?

key fobs could be used to arm the system instead of sending texts .

Is it GSDs new alarm that uses each sensor as a repeater ?

Their grade 3 system & their access works like that, not the new i70 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You can get pir's with gsm built in, and can arm/disarm them via SMS. You'll probably need to wire them into the vehicle battery for power, may need an external dc to dc converter.

These are available on quite a few websites.

Here is one that sends MMS

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

2011 wrote: »
    Owner of a quarry having diesel stolen from machines at night.
    These machines are parked at different locations each night in a large quarry.
    The damage done during the theft has cost more than the diesel stolen as well as the downtime.

Too large an area to be covered by CCTV. To many points of access also. Last time they came across farmers land from a different direction.

I seem to remember seeing a battery powered PIR that has a built in SIM card. When the PIR detects motion it sends a text. The unit is armed and disarmed via a text.

Can anyone tell me where to purchase such a device? Or perhaps someone can suggest something better?

For out door use this PIR will do what you require.

You can get pir's with gsm built in, and can arm/disarm them via SMS. You'll probably need to wire them into the vehicle battery for power, may need an external dc to dc converter.

These are available on quite a few websites.

The ones I saw in the past (unfortunately I can't remember where) had their own internal battery.

• Advertisement

Maybe if 2011 put up a pic we might come up with something totally different.

Will get a picture next time I'm there.

Advertisement