Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help identifying plants and care advice

• 27-04-2013 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi,

I have 2 shrubs in my front garden. Attached are some pictures.
    One I am not sure if it is still alive or not. A lot of the branches on it are very brittle and break off with the slightest bit of contact. There does appear to be a few buds on some of the branches though. Does anyone know what the plant could be?
    Is it dead or just a late bloomer?
    What type of care advice would you recommend?
    Are the dead branches supposed to be removed/trimmed back?

The second shrub appears to be attacked by something. I don't see slugs around so not sure if it is that or some type of fly. What should I treat it with.

Thank you in advance experts!

HK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Pabmac

The buds are proof that the first one is not dead but I would be inclined to trim back the obviously dead parts so that they don't influence the shape of the regrowth. It's possibly a fuschia as they do die back like this and do recover, but it's hard to be sure in this state.

The second one i don't know but it's vine weevil larvae that are eating it, there are proprietary treatments but it's important to get the timing right, it's the larvae you need to kill, the adult weevils don't do the damage and are much harder to kill apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Lillydee

Shootgardening is a fab website for everything garden related! It has a section for identifying plants and gives care advice. Most of it is free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Hi viper
    As pabmac said, the first is not dead, also not sure what it is, but its a quick growing shrub looking at the long stems. i would prune back quite hard to tidy it up. Pabmac also right for second(Viburnum), vine weevil it is, and good advice.
    GL

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭the_viper2kie

Thanks a million for the replies. Pruned back the first one earlier and looking good now. Will post up a pic again when it starts flowering to find out what it is!

Also, managed to pick up some vine weevil killer in b and q and treated it earlier. It just said to put into soil as they attack the roots. How long should I expect to see a change and do I need to do anything with the leaves?

Thanks for all the help, starting to enjoy this gardening now!

H.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Folks sorry to hijack, but wanted to get an ID too. Got this as a present but didn't get the name.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

Folks sorry to hijack, but wanted to get an ID too. Got this as a present but didn't get the name.

Thanks

Pic no 4. Viburnum davidii

Advertisement