Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭madchild

No I release them like all decent pike anglers do.

so if a lad takes an odd pike for the table he,s not a deacent man :eek:

jayzis hey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I agree with you licences/tax whatever you call it...is a loads of bollox....
    Salmon angling should be free too...but the country we live in prizes them higher than any other fish and slaps a price on catching one.
    All fishing should be free and looking after the waters should come out of all the other taxes we pay.

Now an argument could be made for a small fee to pay each year and use that to help manage our waters....but you and I know they would **** it up like everything else.

madchild wrote: »
    so if a lad takes an odd pike for the table he,s not a deacent man :eek:

jayzis hey

There is nothing wrong with taking the odd one as long as its within the limits.

But people out killing pike because they don't like them/don't know how to handle them/want to kill everything they catch....are not decent anglers no.

Anyway back on topic....no to a licence

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

At present I believe that the annual salmon licence costs €100 of wich €50 is the licence part and the other €50 goes into the conservation fund. The Angling Council of Ireland has proposed that trout, pike and coarse anglers pay an angler registration charge of €40. They also proposed that the €50 going to the salmon conservation fund stopped and €40 go to the angler registration charge. When an angler registers and pays his registration charge he indicated which fund he wants his €40 to go to ie salmon, trout, pike or coarse. These funds will be ringfenced for development, protection, youth etc and anglers will have a major say in what the funds are spent on. Once you register you would be free to fish for any species though you would need to have paid the €50 salmon licence if you want to fish for salmon. I would stress that these are proposals from a few feds and things may not turn out this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Salmon angling should be free too...but the country we live in prizes them higher than any other fish and slaps a price on catching trying to catch one.

FYP (Never have had much luck with salmon, but maybe that's just me!) :D

• Advertisement

EmptyTree wrote: »

tis just you mate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Nedser101

Who would enforce this.?who would collect the cash?who will pay ?i for one will never pay an ANGLER REGISTRATION CHARGE.

EmptyTree wrote: »

I only ever caught a spent salmon on corrib by accident....I have no interest in salmon angling.

Nedser101 wrote: »
    Who would enforce this.?who would collect the cash?who will pay ?i for one will never pay an ANGLER REGISTRATION CHARGE.

+ 1
    Now moderators where are ya get a poll going on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

madchild wrote: »
    + 1
    Now moderators where are ya get a poll going on this one.

OK, I have put a poll up just for the heck of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

jkchambers wrote: »
    At present I believe that the annual salmon licence costs €100 of wich €50 is the licence part and the other €50 goes into the conservation fund. The Angling Council of Ireland has proposed that trout, pike and coarse anglers pay an angler registration charge of €40. They also proposed that the €50 going to the salmon conservation fund stopped and €40 go to the angler registration charge. When an angler registers and pays his registration charge he indicated which fund he wants his €40 to go to ie salmon, trout, pike or coarse. These funds will be ringfenced for development, protection, youth etc and anglers will have a major say in what the funds are spent on. Once you register you would be free to fish for any species though you would need to have paid the €50 salmon licence if you want to fish for salmon. I would stress that these are proposals from a few feds and things may not turn out this way.

That is nuts but is also so easy to mess with if everybody choose the same one nothing goes into everything else

I know it's early days, but there doesn't seem to be any mention of Sea angling, have they dropped the idea of the licence covering this as well??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Anybody mention the 1986 rod licence dispute yet?

FF introduced a rod licence for everyone.

Mass revolt and the FF minister had to resign (think his name was Brendan Daly).

Apologies, see jkchambers mentioned it. Also says any licence fees will be ringfenced for fishing.

That's what they said when the introduced gun licensing after the 1972 confiscations. They steadily reduced the funding to gun clubs (which was substantial, at first) until 1985, when it was abolished.

yubabill1 wrote: »
    Anybody mention the 1986 rod licence dispute yet?

FF introduced a rod licence for everyone.

Mass revolt and the FF minister had to resign (think his name was Brendan Daly).

I presume that this is the same as the one that JKChambers went into a little detail on (previous page) in response to one of my questions:
    I was one of 2 anglers in the Dail in 1988 when Minister Brendan Daly brought in the rod licence. At the time he estimated that it would raise Ir£600000. He quickly announced that he was cutting the State allocation to the fisheries boards by that amount.
    This time the Minister has assured us that all funds raised would be for protection, development etc and that the funds raised would be kept in a separate kitty and that this would not impact on the States allocation to IFI

Advertisement