Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LPT estimate above amount paid on property price register

Options
  • 27-04-2013 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

As the thread says, our LPT estimate places us one band higher than the amount paid for the property as recorded on the Property Price Register.

The house was purchased in late 2012 and no improvements have been made. Clearly Revenue has not accurately inspected the PPR.

Looking at the Revenue guidance notes, all we are required to do is self-assess based on a 'rational' assessment such as this. In other words, no reason to appeal. I simply opt to may the amount which I believe to be accurate, return the form and pay the tax.

Does this seem correct?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

That is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Do appeal, the PPR is your evidence for the basis of said appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

You don't need to appeal. Its a self assessed tax. You just need evidence for your valuation should Revenue query it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

sarkozy wrote: »
    As the thread says, our LPT estimate places us one band higher than the amount paid for the property as recorded on the Property Price Register.

The house was purchased in late 2012 and no improvements have been made. Clearly Revenue has not accurately inspected the PPR.

Looking at the Revenue guidance notes, all we are required to do is self-assess based on a 'rational' assessment such as this. In other words, no reason to appeal. I simply opt to may the amount which I believe to be accurate, return the form and pay the tax.

Does this seem correct?

revenue has not undertaken any 'accurate' inspections or assessments anywhere. They have made made very rough estimates over huge geographical areas as a starting point with the 'hope' that most people wont read, undertsand or query the documentation being sent and just accept the estimated valuation they have provided.

However, they are clear that it is up to every individua home owner to assess their own property. Just fill in the form with the right information where you have data to support it. (you dont need to give the supporting data.) easy. thats money saved....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If filling the form out online you choose the tax rate yourself. We were in the same situation as you and after discussing with a few of our neighbours we all decided we were going to do it the band below as we felt that was more accurate given what the PPR is showing for recent sales in our area.
    I don't expect there to be any issue with that. Maybe if you were going several bands down, but one?, I really doubt it.
    One guy in our area is going down two bands but i think he is chancing his arm or just talking BS and won't actually do it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 D7

I just got back from being abroad for some time and was expecting the LPT Return form to be waiting for me! No, instead I received a letter with an Notification Estimate............I was glad I have something a with a Property ID which let me do the online return.

I inadvertently accepted their Value when arranging payment, and then forgot to write down the payment reference (assuming an email acknowledgement receipt would be sent as I was doing everything online........No).

After doing the LPT return and making payment and doing some serious research it seems the Estimated Value is 2 bands more than it should be.

Now I am concerned the property may be locked into this incorrect Band. I've sent email off to the LPT email address but wonder how long it will take from them to come back after I attached all the evidence they need to place the property in the correct Band and issue a credit note for the over payment???

Any views please on this one as I will be abroad soon for some months and want them to correspond via email.

Advertisement