Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is rent allowance so generous?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Mince Pie wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me how people can constantly come up with ways to reform the SW and RA schemes but not a dicky bird about how to address the shortage of jobs which would in turn mean there would be less need for the SW.

Because its so much easier to play the lazy scheming welfare layabouts vs the tax payer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

It never ceases to amaze me how people can constantly come up with ways to reform the SW and RA schemes but not a dicky bird about how to address the shortage of jobs which would in turn mean there would be less need for the SW.

I've an idea. All the unemployed people could better themselves to become more employable.

Nobody is going to hand you a job on a plate.

I've an idea. All the unemployed people could better themselves to become more employable.

Were all listening let's hear your suggestions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Gatling wrote: »
    Were all listening let's hear your suggestions

Well you could work on your comprehension for a start. I just said it in the previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Riiiiiiight! Thanks for that nugget of invaluable wisdom. I'm sure there are plenty of unemployed well educated people who will be kicking themselves they didn't think of that sooner. Bravo.

• Advertisement

Well you could work on your comprehension for a start. I just said it in the previous post.

Cant you read .

How do these unemployed improve there job prospects according to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Anynama141

There are plenty of ways to encourage job creation - scrapping or lowering the minimum wage, inculcating a culture of entrepeneurship, lowering taxes, and so on.

Unfortunately many of these obvious solutions fly in the face of the beliefs of those who think there should be a hand-out for everyone and nobody should ever have to pay for anything unless they are 'rich'.

All that means is that the slow distribution of employment opportunities during the tiger has been rapidly reversed. Bad news for renters, and everyone else, in the medium - long term.
    Well no, it means that there's an oversupply of housing just about everywhere except the big urban centres, and even there we'd probably be seeing falling rents if the state wasn't falling over itself to prop up property prices.

Cant you read .

How do these unemployed improve there job prospects according to you
    If you aren't educated or skilled, get educated or skilled. If you are educated or skilled in an area that there is no demand for, get educated or skilled in an area there is a demand for. If there is nobody looking to hire you for your marketable skills, look into the possibility of working for yourself or with others in the same boat.

None of these things will guarantee you a job, but they will certainly improve your job prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Anynama141 wrote: »
    If you aren't educated or skilled, get educated or skilled. If you are educated or skilled in an area that there is no demand for, get educated or skilled in an area there is a demand for. If there is nobody looking to hire you for your marketable skills, look into the possibility of working for yourself or with others in the same boat.

None of these things will guarantee you a job, but they will certainly improve your job prospects.

But how, if you go into education, often (not always) a lot of financial aid is taken away leaving them in a catch 22.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    But how, if you go into education, often (not always) a lot of financial aid is taken away leaving them in a catch 22.

Would you like a fish, or would you like to know how to fish?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

We're onto employment now and the thread says Rent Allowance.
    Calm down dears, it's only an Internet forum....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

because landlords run the dail

Zamboni wrote: »
    Would you like a fish, or would you like to know how to fish?

Indeed, learning to fish is far more important, but how are people to live while being educated. Yes there is BTEA and other supports, but if you have a family to look after, can they take a further financial hit while you train. I do understand short time loss, long term gain, but when when you have very little, every minute cost can be the balance.

If this is true - and I'm not sure how often it is - then those who can do this should do it and those caught in this Catch 22 should raise hell until it is addressed.

because landlords run the dail
    There's actually a lot of truth in that. Didn't Fianna Failure minister Frank Fahy own 40+ properties?

If this is true - and I'm not sure how often it is - then those who can do this should do it and those caught in this Catch 22 should raise hell until it is addressed.

How can they? we're all so busy fighting with one another in society it goes nowhere. I was told if I wanted to continue college after my child was born, I would receive very little help from the college with the creche costs and little assistance with the rent so I would have had to fork out for the majority of both with only Child Benefit and my college grant for the year, completely nonviable. Now I am lucky, in a year Daddy is finished college and he'll hopefully be able to get a job easily enough but for many, they have not got that guarantee.

RA criteria are becoming more and more stringent so I would not be surprised if in the near future they make it completely impossible for people to even get accommodation within city limits!

How can they? we're all so busy fighting with one another in society it goes nowhere. I was told if I wanted to continue college after my child was born, I would receive very little help from the college with the creche costs and little assistance with the rent so I would have had to fork out for the majority of both with only Child Benefit and my college grant for the year, completely nonviable. Now I am lucky, in a year Daddy is finished college and he'll hopefully be able to get a job easily enough but for many, they have not got that guarantee.

RA criteria are becoming more and more stringent so I would not be surprised if in the near future they make it completely impossible for people to even get accommodation within city limits!
    I don't want to make harsh judgements about individuals, but look at it the other way around: you get child benefit, you get a college grant, you get rent allowance (?) and you want more still?

Please don't take this as an attack on you personally - I wish you all the luck in the world, but perhaps we need to start appreciating all the help that we DO get from other people's taxes instead of complaining about the extra that we don't?

(and having said that, I also realise that you weren't really even complaining :))

There where other problem's will arise,
    People on RA eventually get forced to move outside cities to further afield ,you will see rent's increase in these area's as demand for private accommodation surges along with school places for kids ,then you have locals up in arms because there forced to look to other places to live ,
    No body will ever be happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Treehousetim

I don't want to make harsh judgements about individuals, but look at it the other way around: you get child benefit, you get a college grant, you get rent allowance (?) and you want more still?

Please don't take this as an attack on you personally - I wish you all the luck in the world, but perhaps we need to start appreciating all the help that we DO get from other people's taxes instead of complaining about the extra that we don't?

(and having said that, I also realise that you weren't really even complaining :))

Well said anynama. bizarre...

• Advertisement

There where other problem's will arise,
    People on RA eventually get forced to move outside cities to further afield ,you will see rent's increase in these area's as demand for private accommodation surges along with school places for kids ,then you have locals up in arms because there forced to look to other places to live ,
    No body will ever be happy
    You know that there are about 300,000 empty properties in the country? Sure, some of them are second homes, but the overwhelming majority of them just have nobody to live in them.

What on earth would cause rents to rise, short of importing 600,000 immigrants from somewhere?

You know that there are about 300,000 empty properties in the country? Sure, some of them are second homes, but the overwhelming majority of them just have nobody to live in them.

What on earth would cause rents to rise, short of importing 600,000 immigrants from somewhere?

Haven't seen that number used got a link to the figures

You think there wouldn't be any rises but been its here were talking about its quite possible

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Think you might be missing the point Anyama, the poster was responding to the get educated remark by saying it's not financially viable for someone unemployed. So telling people who can't afford to pay for education to get educated and then calling them ungrateful when they ask how to pay for it reeks of "let them eat cake".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Well no, it means that there's an oversupply of housing just about everywhere except the big urban centres, and even there we'd probably be seeing falling rents if the state wasn't falling over itself to prop up property prices.

You honestly think high rents are due to the rent allowance, and nothing else? What's causing high rents is demand. In the early days of the crash, lots of people left the country, or the workplace, and renters were the first ones to move out; net result, drop in rents. Now, as more people lose their homes, the number of renters has gone up, but only in urban centres where there are jobs. Therefore, rents rise in Dublin and fall elsewhere.

We return to a country where the only real opportunities are in the big smoke or abroad. That's not a good thing.

And final note: during all this rental price fluctuation, how much did the rent allowance change? It went down.

Marsden wrote: »
    Think you might be missing the point Anyama, the poster was responding to the get educated remark by saying it's not financially viable for someone unemployed. So telling people who can't afford to pay for education to get educated and then calling them ungrateful when they ask how to pay for it reeks of "let them eat cake".
    Firstly, I have my doubts as to what proportion of people have their benefits cut off because they want to return to education.

Secondly, I'm saying that people who do find themselves in that position should raise hell with the political class as it runs totally counter to any sensible government position on up-skilling.

Haven't seen that number used got a link to the figures

You think there wouldn't be any rises but been its here were talking about its quite possible

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/itll-take-us-43-years-to-fill-all-empty-houses-26863864.html
    AN explosive report has claimed that Ireland has so many empty houses that it would take up to 43 years to fill them all.

Deutsche Bank figures suggest that there are 289,451 empty houses in Ireland, including almost 60,000 vacant holiday homes. This represents a vacancy rate of 15 per cent. As the Deutsche Bank map shows, the empty properties are highly concentrated around the Atlantic coast with Kerry and Donegal particularly badly afflicted.

This glut of empty homes will have a major impact on future property prices.

You honestly think high rents are due to the rent allowance, and nothing else?
    Where did I say that?
    Now, as more people lose their homes, the number of renters has gone up, but only in urban centres where there are jobs. Therefore, rents rise in Dublin and fall elsewhere.
    Do you have any idea how many people 'lost their homes' in the last year?
    And final note: during all this rental price fluctuation, how much did the rent allowance change? It went down.
    Indeed, and all over Ireland, with the exception of the cities, rents went down with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Firstly, I have my doubts as to what proportion of people have their benefits cut off because they want to return to education.

Secondly, I'm saying that people who do find themselves in that position should raise hell with the political class as it runs totally counter to any sensible government position on up-skilling.
    A one man stand against the government for more handouts wouldn't go down to well I'm afraid. Anyone that would actually stick their neck out to say I'm losing money to get educated would probably be told some thing like you get child benefit, you get a college grant, you get rent allowance (?) and you want more still?

A one man stand against the government for more handouts wouldn't go down to well I'm afraid.
    Well, I suppose the best thing to do about it in that case is to moan about it on an anonymous forum to nobody.
    Anyone that would actually stick their neck out to say I'm losing money to get educated would probably be told some thing like you get child benefit, you get a college grant, you get rent allowance (?) and you want more still?
    Uh...the person who is getting a college grant IS getting educated courtesy of the taxpayer, no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Treehousetim

A one man stand against the government for more handouts wouldn't go down to well I'm afraid. Anyone that would actually stick their neck out to say I'm losing money to get educated would probably be told some thing like you get child benefit, you get a college grant, you get rent allowance (?) and you want more still?

Having children is a choice. The poster would have known her college training would have been harder to complete. But sure put that on other people why not.

Advertisement