Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad mini malware

• 27-04-2013 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭

Can any one point me in the right direction, this linkbuckbrowser hijacking is starting to get on my nerves, has anyone successfully removed from an ipad

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

iOS doesn't get malware. It's a problem with your internet connection or (if you are jailbroken) something you've installed. Or it's not an iPad.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

curraghyid wrote: »
    Can any one point me in the right direction, this linkbuckbrowser hijacking is starting to get on my nerves, has anyone successfully removed from an ipad

as said, Regular IOS doesnt Get malware, As Apple Review all that goes on the app store.

If you ever have an App you cant delete for some reason, You can Always restore it to a New Ipad State

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

Ok thanks, it must be the Internet connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Have you googled it? If you are getting linkbuckbrowser hijacking on your iPad then linkbuckbrowser hijacking is in your router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

iOS doesn't get malware. It's a problem with your internet connection or (if you are jailbroken) something you've installed. Or it's not an iPad.

iOS does get malware, and it can happen on non jailbroken platforms. People really need to stop believing this nonsense that its immune, because no system is.

Its certainly rarer to get it on iOS than Android or Windows, but it does happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Sonics2k wrote: »
    iOS does get malware, and it can happen on non jailbroken platforms. People really need to stop believing this nonsense that its immune, because no system is.

Its certainly rarer to get it on iOS than Android or Windows, but it does happen.

You can not get malware the likes of the OP on iOS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

iOS doesn't get malware.

Not true. Apple has abandoned its old 'virus free' tagline. You'll now hear them refer to their products as 'built safer'.

It's my understanding that Apple products were always able to get malware. But their products were always relatively low in circulation. So malware engineers simply ignored them. That's not the case anymore. iOS has a very big bullseye in front of it right now. It's a shame really. I've been using Macs for the past 7 years and not once have I experiened any malware related issues. The thoughts of going back to the 'old days'.

Slightly off-topic, but are there any Windows machines that run as smoothly as a new Mac. That's a serious question. I haven't come across any, ever. Although I've never used a top of the range model, so maybe that's what's wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sorry, guys, but "iOS could in theory get malware because its got a big bullseye on it" is not the same thing as "iOS gets malware". There's is currently no iOS malware. No, it's not invulnerable, nor did I say it was. But as a closed platform in which the only way to install apps is through the Apple controlled App Store, the chances of the OP having malware is kinda pretty much zero.

It's really tiresome having sentences taken out of context and nitpicked. The OP started a thread suggesting that they have malware. This is almost certainly not the case. They didn't ask whether it's possible for iOS to get malware, so I saw no reason to post a bunch of disclaimers so as not to upset Android users. I already have to do this on the Mac forum due to people whinging about semantics anytime the issue of Apple security comes up. In the case of the Mac, malware is never completely off the cards because OS X is an open platform, but iOS isn't - everything goes through Apple - so it's far less susceptible to malicious software.

Advertisement