Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Liverpool ever get back to the top and if so can they stay there?

• 27-04-2013 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

I have found it interesting that Liverpool are trying to follow Borussia Dortmunds business model as a way of getting back to the top but now with Dortmunds continued success there is a huge danger that they are turning into a selling club. Nuri Sahin left 2 seasons ago, Kagawa last summer, Gotze is also set to leave this summer and there is also huge speculation that Lewandowski, Reus and Hummels could also leave especially Lewandowski. The Dortmund model has been much praised but now we are beginning to see cracks develop and the downside is they are selling their best players every summer. Now interestingly enough, Liverpools owners' transfer policy involves buying players with a sell on value and youth development. What Im trying do determine is, will the same thing happen to Liverpool? Will they be able to sustain the success and will they have to sell their best players even if they do make it back to the top like Dortmund?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

/bookmarks thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

grandpa-simpson-gif.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

/googles Dortmund model

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTsCsqXmYN3go5cNKI-aRFjNTvvRunmn0sKVCf4LO_-Uw1qHSp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

350x191px-LL-8c6ddd8f_this-is-gonna-be-good.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Never say never, but at the current status in Football, with Chelsea and Man City flush with ill gotten monies, and Man Utd getting ALL THE SPONS0RZ! it looks like there is only really going to be one place up for grabs.

At the moment there are a few teams ahead of Liverpool in the pecking order - namely Spurs, Arsenal and arguably Everton. but definitely Spurs and Arsenal anyway.

CAN thye get there? Yes

CAN they stay there? Yes

Probably won't though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

This must be the new "Are X team done" thread.
    That or "Will X team stay successful"/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It will be difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

You just have to wait till some Arab Pool fan gets bored and then you'll be back at the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

As a life-long Liverpool fan it pains me to say it: Liverpool will never be a top club again. A couple of decades of incompetency and complacency has killed the club. Their status as also-rans in the English game is pretty much cemented now and and they will never catch their rivals either on the pitch or off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

We need to stop spending money on the wrong players and build up a sizeable squad of good players.

Hopefully some of the players in the reserves will step up too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Ardent wrote: »
    As a life-long Liverpool fan it pains me to say it: Liverpool will never be a top club again. A couple of decades of incompetency and complacency has killed the club. Their status as also-rans in the English game is pretty much cemented now and and they will never catch their rivals either on the pitch or off it.

What a load of poppycock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Think I read somewhere that next year is our year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Anyone wrote: »
    Think I read somewhere that next year is our year.

Was it the same place as every other year?

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some phone company in Dubai wants to buy the stadium!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I have to hope, as strange as it sounds as an Everton fan, that Liverpool certainly can get back to the top. If Liverpool can't get back there, then surely you have to say the same about other clubs. Football will be a dull, empty sport in years to come if the top positions are the sole preserve of the same 3/4 clubs as they are now.

I don't think it will come to that though. Liverpool have lost their position, and Arsenal and Chelsea have both shown some weakness this season, hopefully there will always be an ebb and flow of teams into and out of the elite. Although I hope that Liverpool's will be 'out' more than 'in' ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    I have found it interesting that Liverpool are trying to follow Borussia Dortmunds business model as a way of getting back to the top but now with Dortmunds continued success there is a huge danger that they are turning into a selling club. Nuri Sahin left 2 seasons ago, Kagawa last summer, Gotze is also set to leave this summer and there is also huge speculation that Lewandowski, Reus and Hummels could also leave especially Lewandowski. The Dortmund model has been much praised but now we are beginning to see cracks develop and the downside is they are selling their best players every summer. Now interestingly enough, Liverpools owners' transfer policy involves buying players with a sell on value and youth development. What Im trying do determine is, will the same thing happen to Liverpool? Will they be able to sustain the success and will they have to sell their best players even if they do make it back to the top like Dortmund?

You started nearly the exact same thread a few months ago.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81226571

Don't bother starting another.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement