Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go conquer and new mobile phone

Options
  • 27-04-2013 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

I have been with 48 for a while now using an old unlocked Nokia I've had for ages.
    Unfortunately it just died so I need a new phone.
    Anybody know what's the story with getting a brand new phone unlocked and how that affects warranty or should I aim to get a sim free one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What kind of phone do you want?

Have you a budget?

A new unlocked phone is the same as sim free when buying from a retailer. Buying from a personal seller have got the phone unlocked to sell on but it will still have warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭ger34

Was looking at sony xperia j in carphone warehouse at €159 they mentioned waranty issue.
    Local computer shop wants €45 to unlock

ger34 wrote: »
    Was looking at sony xperia j in carphone warehouse at €159 they mentioned waranty issue.
    Local computer shop wants €45 to unlock

Wouldn't be worth the hassle, better off to buy sim free. One of many options:> http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009INDJSA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Thanks for your help will go for sim free.
    Wheres the best site to buy sim free,that model is out of stock on amazon?

Thanks for your help will go for sim free.
    Wheres the best site to buy sim free,that model is out of stock on amazon?

You can still order and it will be delivered when it arrives. Amazon are usually pretty good with stock issues.

Some more options from the FAQ:> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59477812&postcount=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭turbostan

Ger you can buy off o2 and use your 48 sim, it will work without unlocking, 48 is part of the o2 group;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

If they're like Tesco then their MCC-MNC is 272-11 and therefore a 48 SIM wouldn't work in an O2 phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭turbostan

They're both owned by Telefonica but are technically separate companies.

I'm nearly positive an o2 locked phone won't work with 48, just as an o2 locked phone won't work with Tesco Mobile. Maybe someone can confirm?

its a fact, bought a HTC for wifey a few months ago, had planned to unlock it but didn't need to in the end, worked fine, bought from o2, 48 sim...

Would this phone be ok in Ireland?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009INDJSA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Spoke to someone in o2 shop and they said the phone would still need to be unlocked although the phone i have at the moment was an o2 phone which was not unlocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yes, perfect, but get the £170 version from Amazon, its worth it for their amazing customer support. You'll want it if something goes wrong.

Actually have ordered it from amazon but for £175.
    Thanks for the reassurance ED.

Damn phone wont be in stock till sometime from the end of may to end of july.
    Cant wait that long.
    Where else is it in stock for ok money?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ele1992

Anyone know would you be better off just changing network back to meteor or whatever and would that be easy to do from 48?

Advertisement